VIP622 remote question....

Sicemdawgs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Suwanee, GA
I have a VIP622 and the remote is a 5.3 IR. I am having a problem with it controlling my new Harman/Kardon AVR240 receiver.

The remote accepts the 3 codes in the Dish manual. But the remote will only turn the H/K receiver ON, it will not turn it OFF. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know of a solution? I need the Dish remote to do this for the WAF (one remote for her=good).

I don't have my manual handy, but if there is more than one code for that device, try changing the codes again, until you find one that will turn it on and turn it off.

The original remote on some systems have separate on and off buttons to turn the device (or part of the device) on and off.

I'm not an expert on IR remotes, but on such devices, I believe the OFF button will toggle the system on and off, where-as the ON button will only turn it on, no matter how many times you press it. (Maybe that's the other way around.)

Bottom line, you need to find the code that will toggle it ON and OFF, each time you hit the ON button.

EDIT -- It's been a little while since I set up my 622 remotes, but I believe besides entering the code, you had to enter a prefix before the code for AUX. If the code was 123, you may have had to enter 3123. I had forgot to do that the first go round.

Last edited:
I tried that, same result.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that the H/K has seperate remote buttons for ON and OFF. Since the Dish remote only has a Power button, it may only be capable of doing one command.

I am looking into the Harmony remotes as we post.

Sicemdawgs said:
I tried that, same result.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that the H/K has seperate remote buttons for ON and OFF. Since the Dish remote only has a Power button, it may only be capable of doing one command.

I am looking into the Harmony remotes as we post.

Your reciever has discrete on/off codes. THe Dish Remote does not support Discrete codes.

There is a workaround. (but I think this may be for programming discrete on/off codes into a universal remote to control the dish reciever)

Discrete Power On/Off

Some after-market, universal remote controls need two discrete buttons for Power On and Power Off. Because the remote does not have two free buttons, this feature had to be implemented using a sequence of buttons.

1) Press and hold the SAT button at the top of the remote until all mode button backlights illuminate (about 3 seconds), then release.

2) While the SAT mode light blinks, press and release the large satellite Power button.

3) Press Volume Up for discrete power on. Press Volume Down for discrete power off.

4) Press the Select button to exit.

You could try it by doing the above sequence but initially push the AUX button to try it for your receiver.

Last edited:
Had same problem. Wouldn't need a URC if Dish would solve these two MAJOR drawbacks.:mad:
1) cannot turn a H/K AVR OFF
2) cannot switch inputs to Video 2 (necessary for Component input)
The number buttons switch to almost every other input (in a seemingly random order)

I noticed a couple of days ago that "Harmon Kardon" is on my Toshiba Satellite P25-S609 Laptop; but I've never had a need to try and get my Dish remote to work with it.:confused:

I have no trouble getting the 5.3 &/R 6.3 to switch through all of the video inputs on my Sony TV's; and on one of my Sony's it does have a separate on and off button on its remote, however, toggle of one will switch from on and off, while the other will not - but the 5.3 and 6.3 has no problems.

i have the same problem. I have not been able to find a way to get it to work. All of the other post in this thread simply state what the manual says (not much help). As far as i can tell it will only turn it on, not off since the harmon kardon has a separate on and off button. Discrete on/off doesnt work with the aux input on the dish remotes tho

I had the same problem with a H/K DVD Player, and after much fighting with it, i have pretty much given up. Along with the fact that the DVD Player freezes alot (switching between layers I think), I will most definately be getting me a new DVD player. With that, I will probably be leaving the H/K Line for a while, i have not been very pleased with their product.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)