Vip622 Up & Running !!!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
My 622 was at the doorstep by the garage when I got home from work. Mother-in-law was home but I guess the UPS guy did not want to go to the front door.

I called tech support and was told that I could install myself and use on TV1 untill my install on the 21st (I need a DP44 for the dual tuner). I waited until after LOST to put the VIP622 into my equipment tower. Doing this will not cancel your install -- that is if you go thru Tech Support.

First, I do not have alot of area inside for breathing and I have glass doors on the front. I keep one cracked for ventilation. When the 622 first comes on you can really hear it. I can hear the cooling fan running most of the time and if I did not have doors on the front it might be disconcerning. However, occasionally you can not hear anything at all. I believe that if I can increase ventilation the fan will not run as much.

Second, the install went okay, but because I do not have a DP44 it took a few twist to get the 622 to work. Fortunately, a young lady by the name of Cynthia at Tech Support took very good care of me. By the way, the first guy I talked to at Tech Support recomended that I only talk to Tech Support to get this working. I had to syncronize the second remote and turn off TV2 then I had to runthe check switch modes twice in order to get the unit to work properly. All in all it took about 90 minutes. If I had the DP44 it would have been half that time.

You can resize the SD channels for 16x9 viewing. Works just like the 811. The picture from the VIP622 is definately brighter than the 811 -- so much so that I had to dial back my settings on my Pioneer. I purchased a HDMI to DVI connector for my DVI/DVI cable and it works great. I am going to have to get use to how bright the picture is.

My real delight is with the HD OTA tuner. Strengths are on average 10 points higher than I was getting before! I am getting channels I could not get before. This unit will lock steady without the in and out drift that the 811 exibited. Heck, this unit will lock at 52! Of course you get alot of macroblocking but at 60 the picture and sound is rock solid. Man, I am in heaven with this performance. I can wait till tomorow when I move my antenna and improve the performance.

Well, that is it for now, I am on the East coast and it is about 1:30AM and I have to be up at 6! I am looking forward to the 21st when I can use all the functions of the 622. For now I am going to go play with it. :devil:

Hello

My 622 was on my doorstep this evening as well! I really did not think I would have one by my install date of Feb 21.

I played around with programming the remote and had a problem with my receiver. I have a Sony STR-DE985 and I had no luck getting the remote programmed. I can't see this receiver being left out or being odd.

Are the codes the same as the one-4-all remote codes on these universal remotes?

Anyone have any ideas? If I can get it to work I can pretty much eliminate all my remotes and just use the 622's.

Heck, Sony leaves out some of it's own Receivers on it's touchscreen remotes. How can you expect Dish to include them all?

I have a question, how do I get the receiver into the single mode? Also, is the hard drive supposed to run all the time even when the receiver is off? I set it up to park after 4 hours and I went to bed but when I left this morning at 7 the hard drive was still running -- anyone have any ideas?

iKramerica said:
Heck, Sony leaves out some of it's own Receivers on it's touchscreen remotes. How can you expect Dish to include them all?
Yeah, my Sony reciever doesn't work with the 811 remote, it's kindof annoying.

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
I have a question, how do I get the receiver into the single mode? Also, is the hard drive supposed to run all the time even when the receiver is off? I set it up to park after 4 hours and I went to bed but when I left this morning at 7 the hard drive was still running -- anyone have any ideas?

Not sure why your harddrive is running all the time, but as to single mode, just a matter of hitting your mode button on the front of your 622

Thanks, I am not sure but I read in one of Scott's post that the 622 downloads some help video on the 622. and that it takes awhile. I hope that is what is going on.

For those of you that are complaining about your Sony receiver not working with your Dish remote, try changing the remote code on your Sony remote and receiver (make sure to change both) from AV2 to AV1.

I was annoyed for a year and a half that my 921 remote couldn't control the volume on my Sony STR-DE995 receiver. I tried all the remote codes in the guide, tried to scan, tried everything that the 921 guide offered and it would never work. Then I read in one of the forums about changing the remote code from AV2 to AV1 and sure enough, it works. If I remember correctly, the Sony remote and receiver come set to AV2 as the default, and the Dish remotes don't work with the AV2 setting.

You may want to try vice-versa as well...AV1 to AV2. I actually read both versions on different forums. Basically, whatever your remote is set to now, change it to the opposite. Mine was defaulted to AV2, so I had to change mine to AV1. Your Sony receiver guide should have directions on how to change the code....it was pretty simple for me and only took a couple minutes.

I'm getting intermittant popping on the audio from the 622 only on the SD channels....but not all of them. The 622 is connected to the TV via HDMI and the audio is routed to the home theater receiver with an optic cable. I tried going 622 -> hdmi -> TV -> dig coax -> home theater, but the popping still happened. Any ideas?????

*edited for error in terminology

Last edited:
Cowchip said:
I'm getting intermittant popping on the audio from the 622 only on the SD channels....but not all of them. The receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the receiver with an optic cable. I tried using the digital coax from the TV to the receiver to see if it was a problem with the fiber, but the popping still happened. Any ideas?????
Have you tried hooking the 622 to the reciever directly with an optic cable?

Sorry, I think I mixed the term receiver in my previous post (622 receiver and home theater receiver).

Currently I'm using HDMI to the TV for video and optic for audio to the home theater receiver.

Tried using the audio from the HDMI, pass thru via dig coax to the home theater receiver, same result.

mrhand said:
For those of you that are complaining about your Sony receiver not working with your Dish remote, try changing the remote code on your Sony remote and receiver (make sure to change both) from AV2 to AV1.

I was annoyed for a year and a half that my 921 remote couldn't control the volume on my Sony STR-DE995 receiver. I tried all the remote codes in the guide, tried to scan, tried everything that the 921 guide offered and it would never work. Then I read in one of the forums about changing the remote code from AV2 to AV1 and sure enough, it works. If I remember correctly, the Sony remote and receiver come set to AV2 as the default, and the Dish remotes don't work with the AV2 setting.

You may want to try vice-versa as well...AV1 to AV2. I actually read both versions on different forums. Basically, whatever your remote is set to now, change it to the opposite. Mine was defaulted to AV2, so I had to change mine to AV1. Your Sony receiver guide should have directions on how to change the code....it was pretty simple for me and only took a couple minutes.

Hey thanks for posting that!:up I also have a 921 (LUCKY US) and was about to post that I never could get the remote to control my Sony DE885. Haven't got time to fool with it tonite but I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.:)

mrhand said:

I was just about to mention that.. I had the same problem with mine.

If you dont have the manual, search on google.. All receivers are different.

I have the 622 hooked up with optical and I am not having any problems. My receiver is a Denon.

I'm not experiencing any popping today on any channels. I read on another site where someone had a 211 that did the same thing until the person unplugged and plugged it back in. ??? I didn't do that, but I did shut it off last night and it must have cured something because it's all good today.

Cowchip said:
I'm not experiencing any popping today on any channels. I read on another site where someone had a 211 that did the same thing until the person unplugged and plugged it back in. ??? I didn't do that, but I did shut it off last night and it must have cured something because it's all good today.
I think I read in a spec sheet that it reboots every night to help issues with memory leaks/etc.

That probably fixed it.

LER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)