vip622 upgrade install - what a mess

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Was excitedly waiting for for my vip622 install yesterday. The only thing that went right was the installer showing up on time. Don't Dish installers even read the service order?

Installer showed up and said he was there to swap the vip622 for the 942. I told him that was wrong. He was supposed to swap the vip622 for the 322, move the 942 to where the 322 was and put the vip622 where the 942 previously was. He was also supposed to change out the dishes and split the OTA feed to also go to where the 942 was moved. He wasn't happy.

First - Can't we just move the OTA you won't need it for the vip622 as you can get your local via the dish. I told him that wasn't true. Dish only carries 4 of the 6 available local HD OTA's in my area, plus I still wanted it for the other OTA digitials even if they weren't HD.

Second - He swapped the dish. Said everything was hooked up and then stated "You got only 4 receivers right?". I said no, there was the vip622, the 942, and a 311. I told him the 311 was inactive because dish said they could only write up an order in their system with 4 receivers and that I was supposed to call after the install to have it reactivated. Apparently he had disconnected the wiring for the 5th receiver and now had to go back on the roof to reconnect it.

Third - He was finishing up and made a comment about the dish. I then asked, "I still have 2 dishes right?". He said no, he had replaced them both with the Dish 1000. I told he needed to check the order because there was supposed to be a second dish pointing to 148 for some must carry locals. He was like okay, I'll go put the second dish back up.

So finally he left and everything appeared to be working right. About 20 minutes later I started getting check switch errors on the vip622. Ran the check switch test as tech support instructed and kept getting different results. Everything from no reception no satellites on either receiver to full reception and all 4 satellites on both receivers and every combination in between. Tech support tries getting hold of the installer to come back with no response from the local hub. Finally had to schedule a new appointment a week from this coming Saturday. Definitely not happy about that.

Glad to have my vip622, now just wish it was working right.

SKrueger said:
First - Can't we just move the OTA you won't need it for the vip622 as you can get your local via the dish. I told him that wasn't true. Dish only carries 4 of the 6 available local HD OTA's in my area, plus I still wanted it for the other OTA digitials even if they weren't HD.

I hate installers like that. I just had a 625 installed in a addition to a 522 and 721. The tech was trying to convince me to just use the TV 2 out on the 522 just so he didn't have to run new cables through the house.

No deal hook up the 625.

SKrueger said:
Installer showed up and said he was there to swap the vip622 for the 942. I told him that was wrong. He was supposed to swap the vip622 for the 322, move the 942 to where the 322 was and put the vip622 where the 942 previously was. He was also supposed to change out the dishes and split the OTA feed to also go to where the 942 was moved. He wasn't happy.

What kind of OTA do you have that the dish installer is responsible for?

chadzx11 said:
What kind of OTA do you have that the dish installer is responsible for?

Well I can't really say Dish is responsible for it. It was the OTA antenna installed by Voom when I previously had them and an independent DBS company. But since Dish is now offering OTA antennas for $50, when I was setting up the install with Dish I asked if the installer could split the line to run it to the new location, told them I was even willing to pay. They said no problem and it was noted on the order in their system. (One plus mark for customer service to offset many negatives)

Last edited:
If I have t have an E* installer come to my house for my 622 install, he will get to put the batteries in the remotes, and assemble the Dish 1000.

Other than that, he gets to wait while I do a QUALITY hookup. He's welcome to watch and learn, but I'll bet a doughnut he won't care.

SimpleSimon said:
If I have t have an E* installer come to my house for my 622 install, he will get to put the batteries in the remotes, and assemble the Dish 1000.

Other than that, he gets to wait while I do a QUALITY hookup. He's welcome to watch and learn, but I'll bet a doughnut he won't care.

Apparently a few people have gotten around having Dish installers come to the home. I have read some horror stories about some of the installs. I was glad that when the installers came into my home on the 2/28, they did not try to change anything. I left the 921 hooked up so they could see everything was working.

They were scheduled between 12 and 5 PM but showed up at 7:30 PM when it was dark outside. Fortunately there was nothing to do outside. No call from the installer prior to arrival. Just a call from a Dish CSR the night before and all she asked was if I owned the home and if it was one floor. They really had on clue what may have been needed for the install.

All they had to do was hook whatever I had going into the 921 to the 622. That is all they did because I told them my set up: two dish 500's, one looking at 110, 119 with a Dish Pro Twin LNBF and one at 61.5 with a DishPro Dual LNBF. Two cascaded DishPro 34 Switches. I had installed the switches myself and all of the coax from them to the other receivers: 501, 811 and 921 (301 and 311 turned off at install). I live in an house that was built in the 60's.

So I waited around all afternoon only to have them show up in the evening. Then I had to move and install the remaining receivers. I didn't get to bed until late that night.

One problem did arise however. I told them I would not be connecting the 622 to another television but instead I would connect the TV2 to to a DVD recorder via composite which would be connected back to a second component input on the television. When they left the TV2 remote would not control the TV2 tuner. It would only control the volume of the television. The remote address had to be changed on the TV2, it had the same remote address as TV1.

Last edited:
This work order has red flag all over it. If I read this corectly you are in the end replacing the 322 with a 622. You will have a 622, 921, 311 active on the account. the dish configuration will be a 1000 and a 148 covering 4 orbital locations.

what kind of switches are curently in use on the roof. And will the work order allow for any equipment changes. You might also check and see if your locals are going to change in April. the 148 may no longer be needed.

What you expect is far from a simple reciever swap. it is actually 2 reciever swaps and 1 additional line run. As a contractor I would be expected to be compensated for the additional work. Dish from this work order will only pay me for only the 1 reciever swap and instaling the new dish. So would you blame him for not being happy.

SKrueger said:
Was excitedly waiting for for my vip622 install yesterday. The only thing that went right was the installer showing up on time. Don't Dish installers even read the service order?

Second - He swapped the dish. Said everything was hooked up and then stated "You got only 4 receivers right?". I said no, there was the vip622, the 942, and a 311. I told him the 311 was inactive because dish said they could only write up an order in their system with 4 receivers and that I was supposed to call after the install to have it reactivated. Apparently he had disconnected the wiring for the 5th receiver and now had to go back on the roof to reconnect it.

Third - He was finishing up and made a comment about the dish. I then asked, "I still have 2 dishes right?". He said no, he had replaced them both with the Dish 1000. I told he needed to check the order because there was supposed to be a second dish pointing to 148 for some must carry locals. He was like okay, I'll go put the second dish back up.

So finally he left and everything appeared to be working right. About 20 minutes later I started getting check switch errors on the vip622. Ran the check switch test as tech support instructed and kept getting different results. Everything from no reception no satellites on either receiver to full reception and all 4 satellites on both receivers and every combination in between. Tech support tries getting hold of the installer to come back with no response from the local hub. Finally had to schedule a new appointment a week from this coming Saturday. Definitely not happy about that.

Glad to have my vip622, now just wish it was working right.

Where is you locals coming from

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts