VIP722 and Tivo

rescuejoe

Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
I just moved and the dish Mover service installer talked me into a free upgrade to the VIP722. Problem is I like the features of TIVO (like the TIVO suggestions) too much to give it up. I have been searching this forum for hints on how to hook the two up together but can not find anything.

Is it possible to hook a TIVO to the 722?

Or I am going to have to learn to live with out my TIVO suggestions :(

Thanks!

I have not used a standalone Tivo with a 722, but I have read accounts from others here who have used non-DVR Dish receivers with Tivo. The codes are the same, and it should be a simple matter to connect the analog outputs of TV1 to the Tivo. If you are running your 722 in dual mode you can not use the TV2 output, as the remote only uses RF codes. You would not be using the DVR features on the 722 at all, and as such you would be better off keeping that Tivo connected to your older non-DVR receiver.

You do realize that you are paying $5.98 a month for a DVR you aren't using, as well as the Tivo fee? Give the 722 a try. You may find you really like it, in spite of the fact that it doesn't make recording suggestions.

I used to use a TiVo SA with my 622.

You can use it with TV1 composite/S-video output and still have the IR blaster available to control the 722.

All recordings are, of course, SD.

The only problem on the 622 was that the HD aspect ratio picture is recorded anamorphically on SD by the TiVo, so both SD and HD picture are "squished" and cannot be "un-squished" on playback. You must change the 622/722 output to 4X3 #2 to have the correct aspect ratio on the TiVo recordings.

I had a Tivo back in the day and really liked it. I then got the Dish DVRs (first the 942, then the 622 and now the 722). I wouldn't go back to Tivo for anything. You will be amazed at how quickly you adapt to the HD DVRs and no longer even think about the silly suggestions that Tivo made.

I had a Tivo back in the day and really liked it. I then got the Dish DVRs (first the 942, then the 622 and now the 722). I wouldn't go back to Tivo for anything. You will be amazed at how quickly you adapt to the HD DVRs and no longer even think about the silly suggestions that Tivo made.

Yea I would have to agree IF there was a way to xfer my recorded movies, etc to my PC/iPhone/Ipod. Until there is a way, Tivo recordings along with Tivo Xfer is the way for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts