VIP722 Closed Captioning - easy on/off

ungarata

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Missouri
guys;

is there an easier way to turn the closed-captioning on and off instead of going

menu -> 8 -> 6 -> 1 -> (right) -> select -> (left) -> done -> 0 -> 0 -> 0 ?

please tell me i'm missing something; this amount of menu-clicking to do such a simple task is unacceptable.

if it's truly that poorly designed, is there a way for me to create a macro or something to automate these clicks?

thanks,

-ungarata

Unfortunately, that is the only way. The only thing you can do is buy a universal remote that can handle macros.

I agree that having to do that many keystrokes for a frequently used function is a very poor design choice.

Why can't Dish use one of the colored buttons on the remote to accomplish that!

Last edited:
If those colored buttons on the 722/722k remote are never going to be activated by DISH, it would be nice if one could define functions for each one - like presets on a car radio. BTW, does anyone know what DISH had mind for these buttons?

Eric

It's likely you can hit View instead of 3 Cancels or 0s.
It should be direct from the keypad like Mute is but....
-Ken

I would also like to see the option to have Closed Captioning automatically turned on when Mute is turned on and automatically turned off when Mute is turned off.

Many have complained about the lack of an EASY, QUICK, method (or dedicated button) for CC over the years, and much to my disappointment, Dish didn't do this for the Hopper system. I certainly hope they don't try to make some additional remote, likely inferior like the BIG button remote they offered, just for us CC people as I like having ALL the button on the current remote.

But there is still hope: right now, from regular viewing (no guide or any other display on the screen) you can press the BLUE button and a few of the Apps tiles appear at the bottom of the screen such as Dish Game Finder and Weather Channel apps and social media apps. So, Dish, could you add a Closed Caption tile that we can select that would turn on and off the CC? Of course, all the options would still need to be accessed via the menus, but adding a CC tile for on and off along with the apps when we press the blue button would go a LOOOONNNNNGGGGGG WAY to making it easy to turn on and off CC. We're BEGGING you, Dish. PLEASE!

Sometimes I temporarily turn on Closed Captioning because I can't understand the dialog, and then I turn it off. Of course it takes a dozen steps to do this.

I bought an RCA RCRP05B universal remote which can control 5 devices including the Dish DVR. The nice thing is that it is easy to set up the long macro that is needed to turn CC on or off. It’s a 5 device universal remote that comes with codes for hundreds of devices. I just used the provided codes & then entered the required steps for the CC macro. Really easy to do. It retails for $20 & I’ve seen it on sale for $10 - $15. I got one from a local home center store on sale for $8.

You can also program the remote with some individual key codes in order to do some complex programming if you choose. But so far I have not needed anything but the basics. There’s a lot of information at the following forum.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

One button push & the TV screen quickly displays all the CC steps. It’s another remote to deal with but I usually just keep it handy on the floor next to my recliner in case I need it. OF course you can use it for your main Dish remote but I'm just used to the feel of the original Dish remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts