VIP722 Controlling 3 TV's

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Does anyone have their VIP722 HD DVR receiver hooked up to more than 2 TV's in the house? If so, do you simply split the home connection output on the back of the receiver? I understand that TV 2 and TV 3 will receive the same programming.

Yeah that is what you do, I have done it several times, for myself and customers.

Does anyone have their VIP722 HD DVR receiver hooked up to more than 2 TV's in the house? If so, do you simply split the home connection output on the back of the receiver? I understand that TV 2 and TV 3 will receive the same programming.

We actually have our 625 and 722 feeding to a total of 5 tvs. (Each of the 5 tvs can see all of the tuners from the 625 and 722).

The way we did it was to get a splitter that would allow for us to have inputs for both receivers and outputs for the 5 tvs. We got 2 splitters that have 5 coax ports. then we have the outputs from the 625 (there are 2 outputs) running into the splitter. Next we connected another piece of coax to run to the other splitter. Then we ran a piece of coax to a splitter from the 722 so that it was connected in. Finally, we ran coax from the open ports of the splitters to each of the tvs (so each tv can see each tuner).

Then we looked at the modulators for the 722 and the 625. For the 722, we set the tuner 1 for cable channel 73 and tuner 2 for cable channel 75. On the 625, there was no way to set the tuner 1 output for anything other than channel 3 or 4, so we went with channel 4 (we have a local channel 3) and tuner 2 we set for cable channel 85.

Now when we go to any tv, we simply put the tv on the channel for the tuner we want to use (depending on what remote we have) and can change the channel to what we want and see any tuner on any tv.

Only issue we have run across is that the Tuner 1 for the 625 and the 722 both use an IR Remote so we must have line of sight to the receiver to change the channel, but we primarily use the 5th tv for watching in our fireplace room, so either of the tuner 2's will usually work for watching tv (or the tuner 1 on the 625 is really close so all we would have to do is open a bedroom door for line of sight). We didn't feel spending money to purchase other remotes was worth the effort (though it could be done if so desired).

Let me know if you have any questions,
Geoff

PS-On the 722 you can set the modulation to output Tuner 1 to the Home Distribution as well.

You won't get HD on TV2 or TV3. However, I believe you could hook the component video to one TV and HDMI output to a different TV and be able to watch HD on two TV's (they would both be viewing the same thing, though). Monoprice (and other vendors) have HDMI cables up to 100' in length.

On the 722 you can set the modulation to output Tuner 1 to the Home Distribution as well.

I would like the VIP722 installed downstairs within the home theater using the HDMI port (TV1). I would then like to split the "home connection" port into two and run coax to the living room and bedroom. Is this possible? Could both tuners be controlled via the "home connection" port? An IR repeater would be installed to control TV1 in the living room and the RF remote would then be used in the bedroom to control TV2.

I possibly could split the "home connection" port into 3 and control the TV1 tuner within the home theater (HDMI) and living room (coax) and the TV2 tuner within the bedroom (coax) and daughter's bedroom (coax).

I would like the VIP722 installed downstairs within the home theater using the HDMI port (TV1). I would then like to split the "home connection" port into two and run coax to the living room and bedroom. Is this possible? Could both tuners be controlled via the "home connection" port? An IR repeater would be installed to control TV1 in the living room and the RF remote would then be used in the bedroom to control TV2.

I possibly could split the "home connection" port into 3 and control the TV1 tuner within the home theater (HDMI) and living room (coax) and the TV2 tuner within the bedroom (coax) and daughter's bedroom (coax).

all you do is take the coax from home distrubution and feed the TV 2 and TV 3. and you will be UHF remote to operate the 2nd and 3rd tv.... you should have 1 uhf remote, just get your self extra uhf remote and program it to the same remote address.

to program remote address.

with tv 1 remote press menu twice. that will take you to the sys info screen.

now take uhf remote and press and hold SAT button till it blinks.

now press 3#Rec buttom all at once repeat this 2 to 3 times, and the small tv icon should blink.. repeat this same process to program the other uhf remote for tv3............

hopefully you understand...

all you do is take the coax from home distrubution and feed the TV 2 and TV 3. and you will be UHF remote to operate the 2nd and 3rd tv.... you should have 1 uhf remote, just get your self extra uhf remote and program it to the same remote address.

to program remote address.

with tv 1 remote press menu twice. that will take you to the sys info screen.

now take uhf remote and press and hold SAT button till it blinks.

now press 3#Rec buttom all at once repeat this 2 to 3 times, and the small tv icon should blink.. repeat this same process to program the other uhf remote for tv3............

hopefully you understand...

Since there is only one "Home Distribution" Port, you will need to run a short piece of coax out of the Home Distribution and then connect it to a splitter. Then run from the ports of the splitter to TV2 & TV3.

As for the remotes, the above post does an excellent job of explaining how to set them up.

Geoff

How many TVs can you attach to the "Home Distribution"port without losing picture quality? Do you need a splitter with an amplifier/booster?

...Then we looked at the modulators for the 722 and the 625. For the 722, we set the tuner 1 for cable channel 73 and tuner 2 for cable channel 75. On the 625, there was no way to set the tuner 1 output for anything other than channel 3 or 4, so we went with channel 4 (we have a local channel 3) and tuner 2 we set for cable channel 85. ...

...PS-On the 722 you can set the modulation to output Tuner 1 to the Home Distribution as well.

I have two 622s, I don't remember seeing a coax out for TV1, am I missing something?

I don't have my VIP722 yet, but I assume the "home connection" RF port can be setup to distribute both TV1 and TV2 on two separate channels. For example TV1 (tuner 1) on channel 29 and TV2 (tuner 2) on channel 42.

I have two 622s, I don't remember seeing a coax out for TV1, am I missing something?

As Popcorn says in the post between ours, the Home Distribution Port will do both. You will need to set the Modulation in the setup menu for TV1 as it is set to off to begin with, but once you select a channel, the same cable that runs to TV2 (if it is hooked up with coax) will work for TV1 on the other channel (just make sure they are not the same as an OTA channel in your area and are at least 2 channels away from each other (TV1 and TV2). For example Channel 4 & 6 will work, but 4 & 5 would not.

Geoff

I don't have my VIP722 yet, but I assume the "home connection" RF port can be setup to distribute both TV1 and TV2 on two separate channels. For example TV1 (tuner 1) on channel 29 and TV2 (tuner 2) on channel 42.

You can do that. Your choice of channels for this will depend on what broadcast channels are used in your area. At present, the channels I am using on mine are 38 and 48. Channels in use for broadcasting channels in my area in the 21-69 range are: 21, 22, 23, 24 (LP), 26, 27, 28, 29, 32, 34, 35, 40, 41, 44, 45, 47 (LP), 50, and 62 (LP).

Good to know TV1 is also available on the same coax out.

I wonder what is stopping them from making the TV2 HD capable, that will be a killer app that will beat the pants off everyone else. I know there is copy right issue but there sure is some thing can be done to satisfy the content providers.

Moxi just came out with such HD network system but only good for cable card.

not sure if this directly answers your question, but i have 3 TVs hooked up to my 722 box, 2 in high def and one in SD. I have one TV hooked up to TV1 through HDMI, one hooked up to TV1 using long component cables (so they both watch the same thing), and a third TV hooked up to TV2 via coax.
It works great. The great room and master bedroom are in high def, and we can access high def DVR material using either tv.

you do need to buy 2 new remotes. claude from dishstore can walk you through the programming of the remotes to make this setup work. i highly recommend getting your satellite through them, he is a fantastic resource, especially if your installer is an idiot (mine was)

As Popcorn says in the post between ours, the Home Distribution Port will do both. You will need to set the Modulation in the setup menu for TV1 as it is set to off to begin with, but once you select a channel, the same cable that runs to TV2 (if it is hooked up with coax) will work for TV1 on the other channel (just make sure they are not the same as an OTA channel in your area and are at least 2 channels away from each other (TV1 and TV2). For example Channel 4 & 6 will work, but 4 & 5 would not.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff! I didn't know you could do that! I've got TV2's signal split for 2 different TV's--the channels were "mirrored" on those, same channel. I did as you suggested and now those 2 TV's can view different channels on TV1 and TV2 tuners (in Dual Mode). I even had a Dish IR to UHF Upgrade Kit that I was no longer using. Hooked that sucker up to my 722 and now I can control the TV1 tuner from the other room. Very cool.:up

Ed