vip722 didn't record as planned

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

usmaak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hi,

I have a vip722 that is set up in single mode. This means it should be able to record two shows at once. I've done this many many times, without any problems. Tonight, I had it set up to record Fringe on Fox, and Big Brother on CBS, both at 8:00. My wife and I were watching Family Guy, and the two minute countdown timer came up and went, and the DVR did not switch. I looked at the list of shows, and it showed Fringe on tuner 2 and Big Brother on tuner 1. The red light on the front of the DVR is not on, but the DVR shows that it's recording Fringe. But it is not recording Big Brother. If I go to Big Brother and press the record button on the remote, it says that if I record big brother, it will cancel Fringe.

Any idea what's going on? I've never seen anything like this before.

Thanks

If your in single mode and want to record two shows at once while watching another, one of the shows your are recording must be recorded off the antenna. So if you have an antenna hookup to get local channels then you record one show from there record the other on tv2 and then watch one on tv1. I'm sure someone might be able to explain it better. Kevin

You can not record two OTA programs at the same time. Only one OTA tuner available.... You can record 2 off satellite plus one off OTA at the same time.

I assume since those are cbs and fox shows you are trying to record them from the OTA tuner, which the 622/722 only has one of. You can record two sat channels and one OTA channel all at once, but you can only record one OTA channel at any time because there is only one OTA tuner in the receiver. You would have needed to record one of those show off the dish local channel from the satellite, while recording the other from the OTA tuner.

I was not using OTA at all. Just satellite. I think. Let me see how my wife set up the recording. We do have an OTA antenna, but I haven't used it that much.

Ok, nope. Neither show was on OTA. Both were scheduled to record through satellite. I should have known that right off, because I can't receive CBS through OTA anyway.

I looked at the schedule, and it shows that Big Brother recorded, but it didn't. Fringe did record. It does not say that BB was skipped.

As I said before, the two minute countdown timer did come up, but when it ran down, it did not change the station.

Last edited:
I reread my post and realized that it's kind of scattered. So to elaborate, this is what was happening on my receiver tonight.

Recording WGN through Dish: 7:00 - 8:00
Set to record FOX: 8:00 - 9:00
Set to record CBS: 8:00 - 9:00
Watching TBS HD

At 7:58, two minute countdown timer displays and counts down to zero. The channel does not change. It stays on TBS.

Fox is recorded as planned, even though the red light on the receiver went off.

The receiver says that it is recording CBS, even though it isn't. When I go to CBS and press Record, it brings up a message saying that if I proceed, the recording on Fox will be canceled. Presumably, this is because the DVR thought that it was recording two shows, when it wasn't.

I just set the same situation up again. I'm recording WGN right now until 10:00. I have Fox and CBS set up to record at 10:00 - 11:00. I have TBS on. I guess we'll see what happens this time.

Test results: This time it changed just like it should. Weird. Now I feel like I can't trust it to record two shows at once without messing up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)