vip722 does not record buffer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bub

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
I just noticed that my vip722 does not record the buffer like my other receivers have in the past.

Example, watching a show and after about 30 minutes or so I decide to record the entire show. In the past with my 501, 510, 622(?), I could skip backwards and start the recording and it would record from that point.

With the 722, if I follow the exact same procedure, it starts recording at the end of the buffer, not the beginning. Example, I have a 20 minute buffer, I skip backwards to the beginning of the buffer, hit the record button, and it starts recording as if I never skipped backwards. So, if I go into the recorded programs section of the screen, it shows a recording of 1 minute, not 20 minutes.

Is there a way around this?

George

I just noticed that my vip722 does not record the buffer like my other receivers have in the past.

Example, watching a show and after about 30 minutes or so I decide to record the entire show. In the past with my 501, 510, 622(?), I could skip backwards and start the recording and it would record from that point.

With the 722, if I follow the exact same procedure, it starts recording at the end of the buffer, not the beginning. Example, I have a 20 minute buffer, I skip backwards to the beginning of the buffer, hit the record button, and it starts recording as if I never skipped backwards. So, if I go into the recorded programs section of the screen, it shows a recording of 1 minute, not 20 minutes.

George

I've noticed that my 522 does the same thing. My old 721 let you rewind & start recording, as you mentioned for your 501 & 510. If the buffer contains the beginning of the program, you can tell the 522 to record the entire event.

Also, the 722 only goes back one hour where the other DVR's go back two hours. I imagine that is due to huge buffer one can get with HD shows.

George

The 722 buffer behavior is the same as the older DVR's. It is on a rare occasion that I have experienced what you have described. That means the DVR is not functioning properly, and a re-boot usually fixes the odd buffer behavior. I would say that after about 18 months of owning multiple 722's I have had to re-boot to fix this problem about 6 times. It is just an occasional hiccup for the otherwise very stable 722.

If after re-booting, soft and hard, doesn't work, then I would RMA the box because when working properly, the 722 will buffer both tuners and you should be able to fast rewind to any point and paused and then press record and all will be saved from that point forward.

Good luck.

I just click record then choose options and pick record entire event. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intent.

Never been a 2 hour buffer to my knowledge. TiVo has a 30 minute buffer Dish buffer is 1 hour. Rewind to beginning of program press record, it will ask you if you want to record the program - say yes.

I have a 722 and I have never had a problem recoring the buffer. It works the same as the 501 and 622 receivers that I had previously. What you are seeing is not the way it is supposed to work. As the others have suggested, you need to reset your receiver. If it still doesn't work, you have a defective receiver.

I've done this with my 622 and when I went to watch it, it did like you're seeing. It only records from the point you were at, not from the beginning of the buffer.

It sounds like you have your default set to record to tv2, make sure it is tv1. I've screwed this up once or twice before and lost the buffer.
And the HD is a 1 hour buffer, the sd is a 2 hour buffer.

What a buffer?
michael_buffer_rummmmmble_small.jpg

Where is this setting?

It sounds like you have your default set to record to tv2, make sure it is tv1. I've screwed this up once or twice before and lost the buffer.
And the HD is a 1 hour buffer, the sd is a 2 hour buffer.

It sounds like you have your default set to record to tv2, make sure it is tv1. I've screwed this up once or twice before and lost the buffer. And the HD is a 1 hour buffer, the sd is a 2 hour buffer.
Not relevant .... the scenario being described here applies to the TV you're watching, whether it's TV1 or TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)