VIP722 DVR recording Question

buckeyegrad02

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Cincinnati
Ok, I am new to DISH, but I still feel like an idiot asking this, but here goes.

I set a DVR timer on my VIP722 in dual mode on TV1 to record a program from an OTA local channel (my OTA is hooked directly to the VIP722). It set up the recording and gave me that yellow circle with an antenna looking record symbol when I checked it in the program guide.

When the program started the recording started and changed my TV to that station and would not let me change channels without canceling the recording.

I wanted to record the OTA local station program but did not want to watch it at that time. I wanted to watch another program on live TV. I am guessing that this is happening because I am watching TV1 and the OTA recording was set for TV1. Is there a way to change the OTA recording to record from TV2 timer?

I ran a test with a non OTA channel like ESPN, I set the timer and it gave me the TV2 purple icon in the program guide. So I know that I have the settings correct on the VIP722 for the DVR timers to record using TV2.

For this scenerio, there does not seem to be anything in the VIP722 manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In preferences, enable Record Plus and set TV2 as default. BTW, was the channel you tried to watch another OTA or Sat?

I do have Record Plus enabled for TV2.
and I verified this by setting a timer for a SAT channel (ESPN). The recording started and it recorded for TV2. I was then able to change the channel and watch what I wanted on TV1 while TV2 recorded a program on ESPN.

I was trying to watch another program on OTA, but I thought I tried to watch one on SAT too, just to see if that mattered and I had the same problem with it wanting me to cancel my current recording.

Single mode lets you switch tuners even if "1"/OTA? is recording. Assumes "2" is not also recording.
In olden days on the 921, the trick was to go to the guide and select your channel there bypassing its check for already in use. Again, only one OTA to a customer.
-Ken

Ok, I am new to DISH, but I still feel like an idiot asking this, but here goes.

I set a DVR timer on my VIP722 in dual mode on TV1 to record a program from an OTA local channel (my OTA is hooked directly to the VIP722). It set up the recording and gave me that yellow circle with an antenna looking record symbol when I checked it in the program guide.

When the program started the recording started and changed my TV to that station and would not let me change channels without canceling the recording.

I wanted to record the OTA local station program but did not want to watch it at that time. I wanted to watch another program on live TV. I am guessing that this is happening because I am watching TV1 and the OTA recording was set for TV1. Is there a way to change the OTA recording to record from TV2 timer?

I ran a test with a non OTA channel like ESPN, I set the timer and it gave me the TV2 purple icon in the program guide. So I know that I have the settings correct on the VIP722 for the DVR timers to record using TV2.

For this scenerio, there does not seem to be anything in the VIP722 manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You should be able to switch to a satellite channel while the OTA is recording, but you can only have one OTA channel active (it will be the one recording). You can't record one OTA channel and watch a different OTA channel. Were you trying to watch a different OTA channel???

Geoff

I got everything to work last night. I had to reboot/reset the box to the factory defaults and then just went back through to get things the way I wanted them.

The OTA one tuner thing did get me, I was trying to watch another local HD channel at first. But, when I started to trouble shoot my problem myself, I could not get the scenerio of OTA recording/ watching a SAT channel at the same time to work either. But, the reset of the box seems to have fixed that problem.

Thanks guys. Like I said, new to Dish, I love it so far. The only down fall would be not being able to record/watch two OTA channels at the same time in HD (only have one HDTV right now)

Does your HDTV have an ATSC tuner?

Split your antenna signal, one to the 722 and one to the TV.

Record 2 HD satellite, 1 HD ATSC and watch 1 HD ATSC using your TV tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)