VIP722 External Drive Questions

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
VIP 722 External Drive Questions:

1) Who has this option enabled and is it worth the fee to activate?

2) I read that once an external drive is attached Dish Network requires that all content be backed up onto it from the internal hard drive. If so, you aren't really gaining capacity.

3) Once programming is on the external drive can you move the drive to a computer and view the programming recorded? Better yet, could you transfer the files onto a portable media plater like an IPOD?

1. to me it is cool futures when there is nothing to watch i go external drive.
2 it transfers files not copies them to the drive
3 no you can't transfer them some where else

So, I assume it transfers as much programming as possible to the external drive in order to free up space on the internal drive in order to have more space for pausing live TV, rewinding programming, etc.

it transverse so you can record more. it does not effect DVR functions like pausing, or rewinding

So, I believe the VIP722 will record a program onto the internal drive first and then if there is space on the external drive it will then transfer that program onto the external drive. Once the external drive is full programs will remain on the internal drive.

no you are the one who choses what and when to transfer. the programs don't automatically transfer for you

You control what is transfered to the external drive. It will not automatically transfer them.

I use my internal hard drive on my 722 for all tv series shows and my external 500gb hard drive for all movies. I have over 71 movies, mostly in hd on my external hard drive. IT is definately worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)