Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Manheim, Pa.

Hi all, this is my first post. I purchased the VIP722 as
soon as it was released. In the manual it states the Ethernet Port if for
future use. I am wondering if the “future” has arrived yet. I am interested in
setting up and wired network from my computer to view pictures and play audio
files. Is this possible through the 722? If yes, I am not overly tech savvy so
please reply in simple terms or lead me to instructions for this type of setup.
I could not find any info on the Dish site so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mike
VIP722
Windows 7 64 bit
Cable modem Cisco 2100
Cradlepoint MBR900 router

There is little likelihood you will be able to send pictures over Ethernet. You can use a USB stick to transfer them.
The Ethernet can now and for the past year (1) verify that your machine is there for Dish and (2) control it for recordings through the Dish web site. (It is interesting that you can set up more than the 96 recordings limited by the remote. Warning, no additional remote recordings can then be set up until you get below 96.)
-Ken

You can also watch content that's provided via Dish On Demand which has a pretty good amount of content if you subscribe to Dish Platinum. The hookup overall is pretty simple. Run a CAT5 cable from your router to the receiver, go to the internet connection option in the system setup menu and reset the connection.

You can also add a Sling Adapter to the 722 and the ethernet connection allows you to be able to watch your TV at home on the go with your iPhone or Android device, or remotely from a computer.

Dish on Demand...

You can also watch content that's provided via Dish On Demand which has a pretty good amount of content if you subscribe to Dish Platinum. The hookup overall is pretty simple. Run a CAT5 cable from your router to the receiver, go to the internet connection option in the system setup menu and reset the connection.

Can I do this with a 222K that has ethernet port as well. Where do access "Dish on Demand" - on the dish network website?

Not on a 222.

To expand upon this the reason you can't do this with a 222/211 even though they have ethernet ports is because they do not have hard disks. The way Dish's On Demand system works is that it caches through the hard disk and then starts playing. It's never purely playing from the stream. It'd be nice if they enabled the capability for 211 receivers that have a hard drive hooked up for DVR usage but there might be something about the way that software is written that might be preventing that.

Thanks for the clear explanation...helpful.

To expand upon this the reason you can't do this with a 222/211 even though they have ethernet ports is because they do not have hard disks. The way Dish's On Demand system works is that it caches through the hard disk and then starts playing. It's never purely playing from the stream. It'd be nice if they enabled the capability for 211 receivers that have a hard drive hooked up for DVR usage but there might be something about the way that software is written that might be preventing that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts