ViP722 - How to record in SD only

tgdsilva

Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
USA
Is it possible to record shows in Standard Definition (SD) only instead of High Definition (HD) in ViP722? Using PVRExplorer doesn't work if the content is HD. But, when I record anything, it always records in HD even if I record from TV2 (standard definition TV) or from choosing the channel that doesn't have HD next to it.

For example, if I record program 'ABC' in channel '100 HD', it records in HD format. Also, if I record program 'ABC' in channel '100', it again records in HD format. So, no matter what, I can't get it off the DVR using PVRExplorer.

So, is it possible to record only the SD feed on ViP722?

Thanks,

First take the talk of pulling stuff off the hard drive to another location as we don't discuss that here.

As far as your question you are recording from the wrong channels. You are confusing TV1 and TV2 with tuners. It doesn't matter where you select the recording from you just have to select the SD channel instead of the HD one. Note: there are a few channels that do not have an SD equivalent (ie HDNET and HD Moveis), but these are by far the exception to the rule. If you are selecting the channel without the HD next to it it is not in HD.

ok.. i appologize for the saying i want to pull stuff off of the hard drive. The real intention is to save space on the DVR hard drive by only recording SD feeds.

You suggest that I record from the SD channels. But, even when I record from the SD channels, it still records in HD. Is there a setting (in the preference that need to be changed)? I have only been recording from the SD channels, but if they have a corresponding HD channel, the HD content is recorded.

Are you using plain vanilla timers or Dish Pass? With the former, you just need select the program on the SD version of the channel. With the latter, you can change to an SD preference, I think under 'options'.

I don't even know what DishPass does. I haven't changed anything. In fact, I set everything to factory defaults and the same problem keeps happening.

So, I think I am using plain vanilla timers. Is there a way to tell? I usually just use the program guide, click the program i want, then the timer comes one, I choose the frequency of recording and that's it. That's plain vanilla, right?

I have a 622 and the default resolution is HD. You can change to record SD only. I would think that if the default if HD, your recorder wil select the HD channel to record.

Dish Pass is when you type in the title (or other search term). A timer is when you select a future show in the guide and hit select to record. If you select a show on the SD version, it should record the SD version. Mine do on my 622.

Make sure your guide is on ALL SUB and not ALL HD. You will then see the SD and HD version of each channel. Select the programs you want to record from the SD version of the channel.
Of course some channels are HD only.....

Here's what could be happening:

He's on eastern arc, so the SD stuff he actually is recording is MPEG4, and the program he's using to 'save space' is identifying anything MPEG4 as HD and unplayable.

No idea if this is true or not, but it's a thought that popped into my head.

Last edited:
If you turn off the "channel mapdowns" you can click on an SD channel and it will record in SD. I'm not in front of my DVR now, so I don't remember the exact menu sequence. Maybe someone else can help. With the mapdowns on, if you click on, say, ESPN SD, it will automatically change to the HD channel.

Brad

Thanks, but I am still having the same problem.

1) I am not using DishPass
2) I am on the eastern arc
3) My guide is on ALL SUB and I do see both SD and HD channels, and I pick the SD channel

How do I change the default resolution from HD to SD? I couldn't find it anywhere in the options.

What type of timer are you selecting (ie all, once, new)?

What happens when you try to record from a channel that does not have an HD counterpart? Does it then show up as SD?

Try this just as a test. Go to any HD channel, let's just use ESPN as an example. Set a timer for the HD channel, then set a timer for the same event on the SD channel. Go into your schedule (hit DVR 3 times when no menus are up). The second one you set up will probably show up as skipped. Restore that event. (You should now have 2 instances of the same program set to record - one from the HD channel and one from the SD channel). After those events record, do you see one as HD and one as SD?

MPEG 4

I think he may be asking the question incorrectly. I'm think that he is really confusing MPEG4 with MPEG2. So it may be that the things he is recording is really an MPEG4 and what he is trying use to copy will only work in MPEG2. If he is in EA then he is SOL it will be MPEG4 whether HD or SD.

lakebum431, i tried recording from a SD channel that doesn't have a HD counterpart and the problem is the same (HD format). Same with the other scenarios.

i think rrmills and whatchel1 is probably right... everything is probably being recorded in MPEG-4 format because i am on the eastern arc. i didn't know that eastern arc feeds are all mpeg-4

Yep, those guys hit it right on. You're problem looks to be mpeg4 vs mpeg2.

Since your problem is space ;) you are in luck as the mpeg4 programs will take up much less than mpeg2 feeds. ;)

Great!... if mpeg4 programs take up much less than mpeg2 feeds, then I didn't have a problem to begin with. Go mpeg-4!!!!. Now I am worry-free that I'll have plenty of space in the hard drive!!!

thank you all for enlightening me on a lot of things through this thread! :up

thanks!

Yep, those guys hit it right on. You're problem looks to be mpeg4 vs mpeg2.

Since your problem is space ;) you are in luck as the mpeg4 programs will take up much less than mpeg2 feeds. ;)

He can test this to make sure by recording channel 9405 or 9406. They're still MPEG2 SD and should work with his space saving program. ;)

Also, to the OP, you could splurge & get the USB support activated on the 722 & then you can archive stuff to an ext hard drive (several if need be) and you'll not worry about space anymore :)

On the 722 by default it records the HD channel even if you try recording it from the SD channel at least mine did. There is a setting within the menu, somewhere sorry my wife found this and showed me awhile back. You need to change this setting and at that point then it will record the SD channel rather than the HD one.

My recordings > schedule > choose a timer > timer > options > set resolution > there it is set it to SD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)