VIP722 humming noise

hraner

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Hello,

I noticed that VIP722's fan is running even after I turned off the receiver(AC is still plugged in), thus it makes a humming noise. It's very noticeable especially at night.

Any way to turn off VIP722 completely or let it go into some kind of idle mode?

Thanks!

I dont believe the fan should be running constantly so it would be a good idea to call and talk to an advanced tech support person.

hraner,

do you have sufficient area around the receiver so it can breathe? no equipment on or below your receiver, correct? if it is the fan running all the time, then a heating issue is occurring, usually caused by insufficient airflow.

The humming noise is the hard drive, it runs all the time. There is no way to turn the receiver compleatly off unless you disconnect power to it. If you do that, it won't download the program guide every night, and you will have to wait for it to aquire the satellite signal when you power it back up.

Maybe it's the hard drive, I'm not sure. But why don't they turn off the hard drive when it's not used? If they need to download guide or something, just spin up the hard drive and do it, but let the hard drive run 8 hours when it's not being used?

Agreed, that would be smart. The original DishPlayer would spin-down when inactive, I sure miss that.

My first VIP 722 made a wicked racket. I noticed it immediately the morning after they installed it.

After several customer service calls they sent me a new unit. The difference in sound level is extreme. The replacement is barely audible, much more quiet. Sure, with my ear next to it I can hear the hard drive constantly spinning but it doesn't disturb me like the first one did.

I bet your fan or hard drive is faulty. Ask for a replacement.

My dvr used to make ALOT of noise, 625. I moved to a different house and placed it different and it stopped... I dont know what it was.. it just doesnt make noise anymore. I remember a remedy for it was putting it at an angle. like a20 degree ngle, i know it was ridiculous but hey it worked lol. Now its flat on the side and no noise. Come to think of it.. it only makes noise in the summer.. hmm maybe its the fan?

One experience i had tho, i had a little tower undernearth (i know.. dumb) The receiver would overheat .. so eyah i removed it and it was good to roll.

Carefull with sales partners

DVR Advantage ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)