VIP722 Noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rkel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
North Carolina
My sister just had HD DVR installed in her house. She has 2 VIP722 rec. and both make a noise like a tape rewinding in a VCR all the time. She called me to ask what to do. I asked her if she asked the install guy about it and she did. He said that it was updating and would take at least 24 hours to do it. It has been over 48 hours and is still making noise. I told her I would ask the experts........

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

My sister just had HD DVR installed in her house. She has 2 VIP722 rec. and both make a noise like a tape rewinding in a VCR all the time. She called me to ask what to do. I asked her if she asked the install guy about it and she did. He said that it was updating and would take at least 24 hours to do it. It has been over 48 hours and is still making noise. I told her I would ask the experts........

Thanks

Is the 722 usable...is she able to watch TV with it?

When the unit reboots (by default that is every night at 3:00am local time) it will sound like a small jet taking off (metaphoricly speaking) but once the process is done it is fairly quite. You can here the cooling fan if the room is mostly silent but it is nowhere near as lound as the reboot cycle.

So, if the unit is not in a reboot cycle AND its just the cooling fan that she is hearing then she will have to get used to it. Granted she could have a unit with a faulty fan but since she is a new install I am GUESSING that its just normal behavior. If she cant watch TV and the unit is stuck in a reboot cycle (it happens) she will need to call Dish and get a replacement unit.

What is problem?

Thanks
Does she think the noise means there is a problem or does the noise bother her? If the former then it sounds like they are running hot and the fan is working to cool it. That is unless she is so sensitive to the sound of the HDD that she can hear it.

Yes, everything is working. Maybe just sounds like she is not used to the sound from the rec. I will tell her about the 3am reboot because she did mention that it woke her up at night with all the noise.
Thanks guys

Yes, everything is working. Maybe just sounds like she is not used to the sound from the rec. I will tell her about the 3am reboot because she did mention that it woke her up at night with all the noise.
Thanks guys

You can change the down load time to another time frame.

First Press menu
Second Preferences
Third Updates
Fourth Scroll over and change the time your not going to be home
and press done when finished.

I have got the same questions from customers. Its the fan running, that I have noted, that people are hearing.

The more open the space around the receiver, the quieter it will be. It will be cooler, the fan will run less, and when it does run, it won't echo.

Over the last 2 days I have noticed that my 622 has become noisier for long periods of time. Not as noisy as a reboot but loud enough to notice during quiet times during programs.

I assumed Dish was either doing special updates outside the 3 a.m. schedule or the 622 was not running properly. Since it doesn't happen all the time I think it has been special updates.

722 is very noisy. The power supply puts out a lot of heat so it runs a fan to draw out the heat. The fan is on the wrong side so it is never able to really cool the unit. It bothered me a lot at first but I got used to it. Would not be able to sleep in the same room as the DVR though.

Thanks

It sounds like she got the box I just sent back? Dish told me it was a bad hard drive. They sent me a new 722.

She is going to change back to regular HD box in the bedroom so they can sleep. I don't know why she got 2 DVR's in the first place. They don't watch that much TV. She said someone told her to get DVR so she got DVR on all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts