VIP722 Overheating - any way to fix

Ringthane

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
USA
Got a question about my VIP722 receiver (not the 722K). The past two days, it's begun overheating. It looks like it's the enclosed fan that's not working correctly. It's been louder and louder for the past few weeks, and now it's doing the catch-and-spin thing, where it spins for a while, and then stops for a second, starts up again for a while, then stops. And then it finally just stops entirely, and the receiver overheats.

Can the fan be fixed? I know with computer fans, you can prolong their life by putting a drop of oil behind the label. But I wasn't sure if the fan in the receiver could be fixed that way (or replaced), or if doing so would void the warranty. Or does the receiver have to be replaced?

I don't have anything on the hard drive that I'm worried about losing - mainly TV shows that are either available now or will be soon on Netflix, or things like DIY Network shows that they repeat 15 times a month. So if it does have to be replaced, it's no great loss. I did order a Thermaltake Mobile II USB fan from recommendations here - will that be enough to keep it cool, or is replacement the best option? (I can always use the fan somewhere else, or even on the replacement one if it comes to that.)

Got a question about my VIP722 receiver (not the 722K). The past two days, it's begun overheating. It looks like it's the enclosed fan that's not working correctly. It's been louder and louder for the past few weeks, and now it's doing the catch-and-spin thing, where it spins for a while, and then stops for a second, starts up again for a while, then stops. And then it finally just stops entirely, and the receiver overheats.

Can the fan be fixed? I know with computer fans, you can prolong their life by putting a drop of oil behind the label. But I wasn't sure if the fan in the receiver could be fixed that way (or replaced), or if doing so would void the warranty. Or does the receiver have to be replaced?

I don't have anything on the hard drive that I'm worried about losing - mainly TV shows that are either available now or will be soon on Netflix, or things like DIY Network shows that they repeat 15 times a month. So if it does have to be replaced, it's no great loss. I did order a Thermaltake Mobile II USB fan from recommendations here - will that be enough to keep it cool, or is replacement the best option? (I can always use the fan somewhere else, or even on the replacement one if it comes to that.)

It sounds like you'll need a replacement receiver. Where I'm sure it is possible to install a new fan, we don't want you to take the cover off of the receiver to do so. If you PM your phone number or account number, I can get you a replacement receiver sent out

Yes; it's possible and I did it on my owned 722. This particular repair breaks the seal on the disk/fan frame inside the receiver. N.B. You are not supposed to do your own repairs on Dish equipment, even if the repair is almost trivial as it is in this situation.

I would also like to mention that when the 722 overheats, it puts up a static image stating this condition. So does my 612. Yet we have what must be hundreds of posts from other customers whose receivers have cooked with no such error message. What's going on here?

Last edited:
I would also like to mention that when the 722 overheats, it puts up a static image stating this condition. So does my 612. Yet we have what must be hundreds of posts from other customers whose receivers have cooked with no such error message. What's going on here?

It depends which circuit is the first to overheat. Not all overheated circuits behave the same. Some circuits will lock the receiver, have it reboot, etc. without ever displaying the error message.

It depends which circuit is the first to overheat. Not all overheated circuits behave the same. Some circuits will lock the receiver, have it reboot, etc. without ever displaying the error message.
I guess what you're saying is that the temp sensor(s) are misplaced? I'm suspicious that there is none on the MB, and Dish is using the disk temp in order to raise this flag. On my 722, there is a variable-speed ducted fan sucking on the disk and blowing out the side. You (alright, then, ME) would expect this message on a whole lot more receivers with overheating disks than we see on this board.

Obviously, Dish is cutting corners to save money. Only the HD has a built in temp sensor which can report its temp and is included (0 cost to Dish) on every HD manufactured today. Unfortunately, the HD is NOT the hottest device on these receivers. The CPU, Video drivers and some power devices in the power supply have built in high temp shut down circuits. When these circuits overheat they act differently on the overall functionality of the receiver. That is the reason that not all overheating are created equally and not all display the error message.

Well, mine did put up the error screen that said the HD temp was above 145F, and I can hear the fan going out, so I know what happened with mine.

my experience has been that, the loud fan is the symptom not the problem. about 9 times out of 10, this problem when i come across it turns out being a short in the cable of sorts. ie water in an outside connector from being loose or a cut in the cable jacket, or a poorly installed connector.

You are better off having them send you a new unit. Of course if it does it again then could be a short in the cable as nezerach mentioned above. :)

Well, mine did put up the error screen that said the HD temp was above 145F, and I can hear the fan going out, so I know what happened with mine.

When I continued to get that message, I unplugged the 722 for at least an hour. As soon as it botted up, I started downloading my programing to my ehd. I got it all off before it finally quit.

If you think it is the fan, you can get a similar sized fan that hooks up to the USB port for power and try bracing it at the opening to replace the internal fan. If that does it then you could most likely hot melt glue it in place or velcro it in place and be done with it.

Look for the 622/722 temp thread around here. The dual fan system mentioned in it has done wonders for my 722k. Almost a 40 degree drop in high temp and 30 degree drops on the other 2. Well worth it imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)