VIP722 Screenshot

Scott, had said that Dish has no plans of changing the UI on any previous model to match the 922. However, that may change, but I highly doubt that. I think the 922 EPG is based on the Sling guide.

The UI of 322, 522, 625, 612, 622, 722, 811, and 722K (I may have forgotten a box) that you are talking about debuted around 2004, I think, but certainly NOT the 1990's. You folks can't really appreciate how great the current UI is compared to Dish's orginal UI and EPG. The original was just purely AWFUL, but Dish was the only affordable satellite option. In those days Direc TV's UI and EPG was great by comparison. Now, it is the other way around: Dish's UI and EPG is better than Direc TV's. I have used Direc TV's most recent boxes and I can't stand the EPG or menus or UI with Direc TV.

After the original UI and EPG followed UI and EPG design change for the very first DishPro boxes: 301, 50X's, 510, 811, and later the 311 (I may have forgotten a box). That UI and EPG was a HUGE improvement over the original and brought picture in guide and menu. In fact, some of the legacy boxes, the 4900 being one example and I think the 3900, that had the original ugly EPG and UI, got the software download for the UI and EPG of the DishPro boxes.

Now, just because those old boxes got the upgraded UI and EPG doesn't mean we can expect the 722K to get the 922 UI and EPG because Dish probably feels that the current UI and EPG is working out just fine and already has the picture in guide and menu.

I'll agree with the OP here; the currently available ViP receivers guide and overall menu interface look like they were designed in 1997. In fact, some loyal customers around here could probably tell us that it was in fact designed back then... Who knows?...

As for the 922's interface, I feel like it is almost trying to hard to be trendy. They have overused the high gloss effect, the DVR interface with tiles seems forced and overly complicated (trying to copy iPhone icons?), and don't even get me started with the damned mutant mouse-remote thing... However, it does have some welcome changes, like a more interesting color scheme (although, how hard can it be to make that a user option? crappy cable boxes by motorola can do this...) and channel logos.

I pray to God that some of these changes make it over to the rest of the ViP series of boxes, but I am not holding my breath. Visual aesthetics are clearly not Dish's forte, but some logos and new colors would help plenty.

Yes, you are correct. The 922 is designed to resemble the experience of a smart phone or PC that is heavily dependent on icons. It is an attempt to make it more appealing to the new generation of customers who like such interfaces and it makes Dish look like they are keeping up with the times, but it is still an improvement over the current UI and EPG.

I have to say that I, and especially my older relatives are very excited about some of the 922 changes, especially the large icons and ability to find a channel by name with large icons to choose from to go to that channel instead of trying to remember the specific channel number or trying to hunt it down in the current EPG, but they my find the new remote a challenge. Mom wanted to know which channel WE was because she doesn't watch it that often, and I really couldn't remember, and we had to hunt, first in the wrong place, then in the right place. She said she would really like the 922 channel display by alphabetical as that is much more intuitive to her since she knows the names of the channels she wants, but not always the number.

Overall, I have to say that I prefer the 922 UI and EPG. I am a bit upset that there is a limit (something like 16) to the number of channels you can store in the favorites list because I currently store more than that in my favorites lists.

And, finally, I really don't like what appears to be lag for the EPG to appear and populate and the same for menus, as well. It reminds me of the old 721 that had just about the same lag as the 922 I have seen in demonstrations. I really prefer the "instant" guide and menu, but I suppose considering the massive data and icons and graphical interface, it does take some time to process it altogether to display. I hope I can get used to the lag.

Last edited:
Wow...

Thanks for all the replys...

I guess we just keep our fingers crossed for an update of the UI...

I really hope at least the picture and sound quality is as good or better than D*...

I am really skeemish ecspecially having to go under the 2 year contract and it not be as good...

I have no problem with the picture and sound with D*...

Just have the occasional audio drop out...and the lag on the reciever I have now...

Anyway...thanks for all the info...

Yes, you are correct. The 922 is designed to resemble the experience of a smart phone or PC that is heavily dependent on icons. It is an attempt to make it more appealing to the new generation of customers who like such interfaces and it makes Dish look like they are keeping up with the times, but it is still an improvement over the current UI and EPG.

I have to say that I, and especially my older relatives are very excited about some of the 922 changes, especially the large icons and ability to find a channel by name with large icons to choose from to go to that channel instead of trying to remember the specific channel number or trying to hunt it down in the current EPG, but they my find the new remote a challenge. Mom wanted to know which channel WE was because she doesn't watch it that often, and I really couldn't remember, and we had to hunt, first in the wrong place, then in the right place. She said she would really like the 922 channel display by alphabetical as that is much more intuitive to her since she knows the names of the channels she wants, but not always the number.

Overall, I have to say that I prefer the 922 UI and EPG. I am a bit upset that there is a limit (something like 16) to the number of channels you can store in the favorites list because I currently store more than that in my favorites lists.

And, finally, I really don't like what appears to be lag for the EPG to appear and populate and the same for menus, as well. It reminds me of the old 721 that had just about the same lag as the 922 I have seen in demonstrations. I really prefer the "instant" guide and menu, but I suppose considering the massive data and icons and graphical interface, it does take some time to process it altogether to display. I hope I can get used to the lag.

I definitely agree that the 922 UI is preferable, and indeed an upgrade, but I still think they are trying to hard to be trendy, and are ignoring basic UI design principles. Eye candy, for the sake of eye candy just seems like a bad idea. On the other hand, there are very big convenience enhancements, that as I said, I think should be incorporated into the other boxes (your mom isn't the only one who would appreciate channel logos and more sorting capabilities).

Could the software in the 722/k's handle an overhauled UI?

Given that the UI is part of the software, and the hardware in the 722k and 922 is identical (except of course for the sling bit), I don't see why it couldn't run the software. Dish might simply not want to.

Thanks again for all the info...

I would really like to see an update to the UI...

I guess we'll wait and see...

Last edited:
I really dont mean to obsess about this...but...what would be...if any...a way to at least get the suggestion to dish about updating the UI on the 722?...

Anyone to call?...email?...ect.?...

Or is it a useless idea to even try?...

NBA tv HD now in SD

How to hookup second TV with Dish DVR 522 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)