VIP722 with composite cables

Booker Noe

Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
First let me say that I love dish and have been a subscriber for about 6 years. There DRV is the best in the industry. That being said I finally took the plunge and bought a LCD flatscreen and upgraded to dishHD yesterday. I thought I was getting the VIP622 but the installer came with the 722 :)shocked).

Unfortunately it came with RCA composite cables. Why would dish ship out their HD receiver with composite cables? I was jazzed to get dishHD but the picture just flat sucks right now. I ordered cables from monoprice last night but I am sure there are people who would have no idea that they were getting a shoddy signal due to the unit being installed with substandard cables.

Thats funny, they must have differant standars for each installer or maybe each box. Because mine came with an HDMI cable, then I had to add the DVI adapter since I have an older HDTV with only DVI or component.

All Dish receivers come with composite (they can be used for tv2 output), most HD also come with components. I have heard that is some cases the installers have components in their truck and use them as needed while others don't bring them as they have to pay for them and don't get reimversed. It doesn't make sense as to why there are so many different stories on what you get or don't get.

I watched intently while he set it up and he opened the box and the only cables in there were composites. I can't blame the installers for not wanting to use component video cables at their own expense. My thought was that the receiver should be shipped with the correct cables.

Love the 722 though.

HD cables

I work as a remote tech for E*. I have to request component and HDMI cables from the warehouse 180 miles away. They don't come with the receivers. Last request they only sent me 2 component and zero HDMI. I called the warehouse and they informed me they are out. :confused:

While you are waiting on your cable, just for S's and Giggles, try using the composite cables on your component outputs/inputs. You might be surprised.

:up

I don't think mine came with any either. But I had a hdmi cable that I hooked up, just the standard composites came with mine

While you are waiting on your cable, just for S's and Giggles, try using the composite cables on your component outputs/inputs. You might be surprised.

:up

Awesome. I'll give that a try for the week I am waiting on my cables.

I have a file cabinet drawer full of cables that get packed with every device I've ever bought. It would be a waste of money to throw in 6 foot component and HDMI cables because there is no way to know how the owner will want to hook things up. On top of that, you might be fine with the absolute cheapest cable made on the planet but I'd like to use a better cable with my equipment. Monoprice.com or BlueJeansCable.com would be fine so keep your junk cables.

The composite cables included allow the installer to make sure the receiver works.

You can find a standard set of component cables at just about any store these days. You can even go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy RG6 cable and rca plugs and make your own as good or better than anything you can buy at the B&M stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts