VIP722K and King Dome 9704

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
So I upgraded from a 211 to 722. I got a dish on a tripod and figured that I would have to learn how to aim it. I would use that when I was staying somewhere for a while. When I am traveling, I would hook up the King Dome to tuner 1 and only have a single tuner DVR. I got a coax switch for tuner 1, hooked it up to the King Dome, did a switch test and everything was working fine. About 2 days later, while watching TV, the screen went blank and I got a message telling me I had a complete signal loss. I shut the DVR off for a few hours and turned it back on. It started working again. A couple of days later the same thing happened.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Is there something I can do to fix this or do I have a defective receiver?

Thanks in advance for your help.

When I first started full-timing, I had a Winegard AS-2003 single LNBF dish and a VIP622. I had problems until Dish sent some option to disable the second tuner. Appartently the tuners float more than we think between the coax inputs

I later ran a coax cable from the bedroom where the other cable from the roof dish to the living room so I had two inputs. Dish reactivated the second tuner and life was better.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a separator that allowed the installer to run a single line to the receiver from the tripod dish. I tried connecting the input of the separator to the output of the King Dome. The problem is with the check switch. When it is performed, tuners 1 and 2 aren't always on the same step of the test. During it, the receiver tries all of the satellites. I can hear the King Dome switching between them. If the step on tuner 1 wants 110 and the different step on tuner 2 wants 119, for example, only one of them gets its wish. After the test was completed, neither tuner had all three satellites. That's when I tried to connect only tuner 1. It works for while and then I get the total loss.

If I perform another check switch, it finds all of the satellites, but never acquires a signal. I leave it unplugged for a period of time (I'm not quite sure why the time matters), turn it back on and all is well. I'll give King and Dish a call. I anticipate that King will say they don't support dual tuner receivers and Dish will say 'What's a King Dome'.

On page 28 of the 9704 troubleshooting guide, it shows an aux cable that can be run from dome to a secondary receiver. connect a cable from aux out to tuner 2 of the vip 722 and you should not have any more problems. drjohn

would connecting the second line to tuner 2 be any different than using a separator on a single line.

would connecting the second line to tuner 2 be any different than using a separator on a single line.
You have a dish that can only see one satellite at a time so you can't have one tuner looking for 110 and the second tuner looking for 119. That is why a single turner receiver is suggested.

You have a dish that can only see one satellite at a time so you can't have one tuner looking for 110 and the second tuner looking for 119. That is why a single turner receiver is suggested.

Thanks. I understand your recommendation, but it's not relevant to my question. My other tuner is a 211 with and external hard drive. Its limitations finally got to me, which is why I upgraded. I got a 1000.2 on a tripod for when I am spending some time somewhere and am not in travel mode. As I said in my original post, I was using the King Dome connected to tuner 1 with nothing connected to tuner 2 when traveling. It works fine in that mode for a couple of days before it loses the signal completely. I am trying to figure out why is works fine for a couple of days, then loses the signal. I know I can't see more than one satellite at a time.

I hooked up tuner 2 to the second satellite out of the dome. The check switch ran fine for both tuners. I then connected both tuners to the separator. No signal on tuner 2. I'll see if it dies after a day or two, though.

Like Brussam said, it will switch between tuners. To work consistently ssignal must be fed to both tuners

Not all dome LNBFs have the built-in switch logic that in necessary for a separator to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)