Vip922 on release, compared to 1 year after release, compared to today?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

emdev2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Just wondering about the issues the Vip922 had when it was released, compared to one year from release, compared to how it is today?

Have the major bugs been worked out?

What bugs still exist?

What features are missing still that they promised on release?

Are the issues all software related? Or was there hardware issues also?

It's pretty stable for me. It makes far fewer recording mistakes than my 722K did, and it's faster. I haven't tried the Sling features lately so I don't know if that is fixed yet, and of course the Blockbuster Movie Pass is still missing.

I'd say it's a mixed bag overall. The UI is nice, and it's better than a 722K, but it's hard to justify the extra cost if you're pinching pennies. For a long time (and maybe still?) the Sling features didn't work reliably at all, yet we had to pay the monthly fee. If you're not concerned about the cost and fees, it's their best receiver.

It's getting hard to justify the cost of Dish overall, in my opinion, when you compare to the bundles offered by cable. Dish used to have a big HD programming advantage, but not anymore.

It has been a reliable receiver since the first major patch (it had issues at first with OTA dropouts causing recordings to be deleted).

But, it lags behind the 722 in development. They did not even have the sling working until the 722 had sling. BBMP is now delayed on the 922 but works on the 722.

Essentially your extra $$ (like $4/month DVR fee) gives you more recording time over the 722 and a fancy menu interface. Not really worth it in my opionion. Especially since Dish is going in a different direction with the coming XIP line being introduced at CES next week.

I have the first 922 installed in my area. Sling was very inconsistent in the beginning, many say it still is, mine works well on my iPhone, my iMac and on my wife's PC and Power Book. Regardless Sling was clearly not ready for the consumer in the early stages.

TV2 was not available for quite a while, it is now.

The guide was ill fitting to TV screens, they fixed that...at least for me it worked.

Caller ID was spotty at first, it seems more stable now.

The "Extender" never materialized...

No BlockBuster yet either.........and these are issues I can remember.

I think the main gripe is the cost when you strip away the hyperboles, and with todays economy it is understandable.
Then there are those here and elsewhere who simply hate the whole idea of the 922. They feel it's promise never materialized as advertised and perhaps they have a point.

Personally I prefer it to the 722K though, which I have also, but I like new equipment warts and all. For me the 722K is just a hotrod 622 which I also had, it had issues too. I suppose the point is technology is not perfect, you pay to play....or not.
I've had mine since 04/15/10

Last edited:
My main concern on the 922 is that dish has seemed to drop support for the receiver.

No blockbuster no on demand ( the new on demand interface). No integration with google tv, no love from dish, just empty promise of things to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main concern on the 922 is that dish has seemed to drop support for the receiver.

No blockbuster no on demand ( the new on demand interface). No integration with google tv, no love from dish, just empty promise of things to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Empty promises that one by one are being dropped day by day. The sling extender was the latest promised feature that was cancelled. The whole idea of the tv 2 in HD was why I wanted the 922 and paid the money for it. I also traded it back in for a new 722k in November of 2009. Never try cutting edge technology unless you are prepared to put up with months and months of glitches , bugs and now dropped promised features.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)