Virginia: don't forget you'll be paying a 5% tax starting 1 January 2007...

I love Virginia, but they keep reaching in my pocket.

That's another $5.25 for me to pay out each month (or $63.00 a year).:mad:

Last edited:
"It's simple, it's easy to understand," said the bill's sponsor, Del. Sam Nixon, R-Chesterfield County.

It is simple. Your are taking more of my hard earned money.

It's very easy for me to understand that you are still taking more of my hard earned money.

Does Virginia charge a sales tax on Satellite?
If not, then you're getting off easy than those of us in Pennsylvania who get nailed with a 6% sales tax.

No tax on satellite...until now. D* and E* customers will be nailed with the new 5% "communications tax" starting 1 January. I have mixed feelings about the tax, but paying the same 5% fee as cable doesn't seem right since satellite does not use any public rights-of-way nor do they receive public, educational, or goverment channels.

I don't weant to launch into a political thread but remeber that this tax is supposed to be revenue neitral. taht si to say that reduced fees on things like landline phone service will be repalced by taxes on satellite and asome other services.

Again ia m not necessarily in favor of this or apologizing for it just pointing out that fact.

Does Virginia charge a sales tax on Satellite?
If not, then you're getting off easy than those of us in Pennsylvania who get nailed with a 6% sales tax.

The name of the thread is "Virginia: don't forget you'll be paying a 5% tax starting 1 January 2007..."

In Florida, we pay a utility tax that goes to each county and the county sets the rate. It is paid on electricity, gas, water, telephone, cellphone, cable and sat services. Not one but on each and everyone. It is at least 5%. It is in addition to sales tax, which is 7 12% on each dollar.

The name of the thread is "Virginia: don't forget you'll be paying a 5% tax starting 1 January 2007..."
I know that, I was asking if VA already paid a sales tax and if this was a new tax on top of it.
If not, then I was saying they're not as bad off as those of us that do pay a sales tax.

I know that, I was asking if VA already paid a sales tax and if this was a new tax on top of it.
If not, then I was saying they're not as bad off as those of us that do pay a sales tax.

I think that your point is well taken. There have bena number of threds here and in the other forums about taxes on satellite service and somehow or other we always seem to get sidetracked intoa discussion of whether a sales tax that applies to satellite service is the same asa satellite tax etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts