Virtual Joey PS3/PS4 app. Free or fee??

ajohnson5

Original poster
May 6, 2012
United States
So, has anyone got information on the cost of this app per month? I was hoping it would be free, but silly of me to think that Dish would give up potential revenue from leasing more physical Joey boxes. I have heard it was going to be the same cost as a physical Joey. I already have my house hardwired with HDMI outlets, and a splitter, so in using my RF remotes, I am able to watch my downstairs Hopper in multiple rooms. Only thing that stinks is that it has to be the same channel on all the sets (have been able to circumvent this by having the kids use Dish Anywhere on ipads etc. if there is a conflict). Benefit I see in having the PS3 app would be an "all-in-one" box for gaming/TV/ and Blu-ray movies. I'm thinking I could control it with the Harmony remote (though there could be issues with the RF communication in the Virtual Joey app.). Anyway, thanks, in advance, for any info on possible fees!

No announcement yet. They want to watch the comments on this website before they make their decision.... :)

Hopefully that is the case because everybody on here hates the idea of it costing as much as a hardware joey. Really hope it's $4 or they charge $10 for as many virtual joeys as you want.

This price announcement is going to play a huge role whether or not I stay when my contract is up in august.

Hopefully that is the case because everybody on here hates the idea of it costing as much as a hardware joey. Really hope it's $4 or they charge $10 for as many virtual joeys as you want.

This price announcement is going to play a huge role whether or not I stay when my contract is up in august.

I agree on the pricing-- though free would be best :) I love Dish and some of their innovations (Hopper, Sling integration etc.). Every time I am just about ready to cut the cord, they lure me back with some sweet offer (I had just had bought a simple.tv, 2 ROku 3s, and an OTA). Now that they knocked my bill down significantly for the next 10 months, I am going to hang on. The PS3 app announcement helped me stick with them, too, but anything more than 4 bucks per month and I would rather just stick to my current HDMI splitter situation.

Not a chance it will be free, honestly that would be foolish of DISH. Very likely less than a Joey, and could be for more than one use at a time.

The price of the virtual Joey may impact my shopping for a new Smart or dumb TV.
Would I be better off with Smart or Roku 3?
Is there temptation to install an OTA antenna? I am in a valley 80 miles from the LA transmitters. Is it even worth bothering?
i have many of the questions, but the answers are ilusive.

Not a chance it will be free, honestly that would be foolish of DISH. Very likely less than a Joey, and could be for more than one use at a time.

Why would it be foolish? It's free to use the dish anywhere app? You're not using dish equipment... Basically all it does is the Same thing the dish anywhere app does anyways.

I am almost positive it's going to be free to use the virtual.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The price of the virtual Joey may impact my shopping for a new Smart or dumb TV.
Would I be better off with Smart or Roku 3?
Is there temptation to install an OTA antenna? I am in a valley 80 miles from the LA transmitters. Is it even worth bothering?
i have many of the questions, but the answers are ilusive.

You may be stunned what the cheap bunny ears can do. Don't go try to buy the expensive black flat ones. They are a pile of poo.

Why would it be foolish? It's free to use the dish anywhere app? You're not using dish equipment... Basically all it does is the Same thing the dish anywhere app does anyways.

That was exactly what I was going to say. The Virtual Joey is just a renamed "Dish Anywhere" for smart TVs.

I believe I have read on this site that only one Virtual Joey will be allowed per account. And that it certainly won't be free.

I prefer the idea of a separate Roku from the TV. The Roku is likely to be updated long after the Smart TV has seen its last update. And will be a lot cheaper to replace if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

you would be positively wrong as Dish has clearly stated there will be a charge in the neighborhood of $7 per month.

After that info got posted, Dish got an earful about the price and they MAY go with something a little lower. I'm skeptical though.

Real joeys work just fine so i'm probably not in the target market for a virtual app that you have to pay for and is only available on select devices.

I say foolish because if it can be used in place of a Joey, what would be the incentive for DISH to have it for free? Also, has that been confirmed, the app is simply DISH anywhere or are posters just assuming that? It appeared to me it was more than DISH anywhere, with it being what the name implies, a virtual Joey. Although I can't tell for sure, the virtual app on my LG TV appears to be more than DISH anywhere.

Everyone says it should be free, it better be free. Then when it isn't people go out of their minds because it was supposed to be free. This is the description I see at other sites of what the App is;
"New Virtual Joey software will bring Joey functionality to LG's 2014 line of webOS-based Smart TVs and Sony's PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 game systems. These apps let the devices access a connected Hopper just like a Joey, with channel guides and DVR control."
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429163,00.asp

If it is, I have to ask again, what would make us think DISH would give away a Joey fee per month or part of it at least? Of course it would be great if I was wrong on this. But it doesn't add up to be free to me.

you would be positively wrong as Dish has clearly stated there will be a charge in the neighborhood of $7 per month.

After that info got posted, Dish got an earful about the price and they MAY go with something a little lower. I'm skeptical though.

Real joeys work just fine so i'm probably not in the target market for a virtual app that you have to pay for that's only available on select devices.

Well just plug in your computer and watch your account from the dish website. It's free that way.

I say foolish because if it can be used in place of a Joey, what would be the incentive for DISH to have it for free? Also, has that been confirmed, the app is simply DISH anywhere or are posters just assuming that? It appeared to me it was more than DISH anywhere, with it being what the name implies, a virtual Joey. Although I can't tell for sure, the virtual app on my LG TV appears to be more than DISH anywhere.

I do not think it will be free even though it should be. The incentive to make it free or cheap would be to keep your customers happy and their costs from getting out of control esp when programming prices keep going up so they don't "cut the cord". Lets be real here charging for each additional outlet of your tv is bs and nothing more than pure greed to extract as much money as possible out of us. It has become 1/3 of my total bill and will likely be even more in the future when the super joey gets added if I stick around. Not that I blame dish because it is an industry wide practice but something dish could do to "change the game" and make everybody follow suit or lose customers. We really need somebody to come into this industry and disrupt it to get the old guard to take notice. Similar to what tmobile has done in the US cellphone industry but there are other players like aereo, simple tv or tablo who may do it too, and you notice neither one charges for each additional tv you have service for. If only they could extend to cablecard so we could get all the channels though them.

Just look around your neighborhood. Are there any rooftop antennas and how big are they if there are any. I would guess that your location would make it very difficult to get much of anything OTA. There are web sites that can tell you what the odds are of getting anything. I think one of them is called tvfool.com

The incentive would be that they don't have to put a physical Joey in as many houses. These are generally subsidized, not purchased, and they obviously cost Dish something.

The incentive would be that they don't have to put a physical Joey in as many houses. These are generally subsidized, not purchased, and they obviously cost Dish something.

I just did an online chat with DISH and they said that VJ has the same monthly fee as a physical joey ($7). I installed the DISH app on my PS3. It really looks like it would be cool. Too bad there isn't any price break at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)