Virtual Joey

The problem would be in hooking up,from what I understand connecting your smart TV(that is DTV compliant) to your Genie requires the coaxial cable to be connected to the TV via a DECA adapter to its ethernet adapter,which negates its ability to connect to other apps on the internet(unless you then connect wirelessly,a real headache changing from wired to watch DTV to wireless to surf the web for other apps to back again). I'm going to have to go through this thread again,did they mention how the Hopper connects to the smart TV?

The problem would be in hooking up,from what I understand connecting your smart TV(that is DTV compliant) to your Genie requires the coaxial cable to be connected to the TV via a DECA adapter to its ethernet adapter,which negates its ability to connect to other apps on the internet(unless you then connect wirelessly,a real headache changing from wired to watch DTV to wireless to surf the web for other apps to back again). I'm going to have to go through this thread again,did they mention how the Hopper connects to the smart TV?

Bummer. Would this eliminate NetFlix, etc as well?

It depends on the tv and how easy it is to switch. It's not that difficult on the LG. Smarttv button and network icon at top and then select wired or wireless and done.

It depends on the tv and how easy it is to switch. It's not that difficult on the LG. Smarttv button and network icon at top and then select wired or wireless and done.

For lazy people who don't want to go through all of the trouble it could be. For "tech geeks(or people who just love to play with electronics)" it would be no problem.

Read an article in another thread that stated Playstation would also be getting this app. Downside, but not unexpected, there will be a monthly fee for this Joey (pricing not yet announced).

Read an article in another thread that stated Playstation would also be getting this app. Downside, but not unexpected, there will be a monthly fee for this Joey (pricing not yet announced).

It's the same thing with connecting a DTV Genie Compliant Smart TV to your Genie system. It does sound like the virtual Joey is more versatile in how you can set it up versus using your Smart TV as a Genie client.

Humm....that would be a nice thing, Hopefully the "older" PS3 would also get the app as well

Bummer. Would this eliminate NetFlix, etc as well?

While DIRECTV does require coax/DECA to their RVU clients that doesn't mean you can't also access any internet/intranet applications, all you need to to is have the DECA network also connected to your router. BTW, once the DIRECTV tech leaves there is nothing stopping you from putting the RVU client directly on an ethernet network, what is enforced is no wireless, the client sees you using a wireless adapter in the TV and it won't start.

I haven't heard anything about the Playstation getting it... (yet)

But who knows what todays press event holds. :)

Since this was announced for existing LG TVs, I'll assume it has no ties to the upcoming WebOS HDTVs from LG?

Also, can we pay Dish with virtual currency for their Virtual Joey? ;)

"the client sees you using a wireless adapter in the TV and it won't start."

Whyever would they do that?

"the client sees you using a wireless adapter in the TV and it won't start."

Whyever would they do that?

Because DIRECTV doesn't want phone calls to the CSR's from customers that are having problems with their picture breaking up or dropping because the customers WiFi network can't handle the traffic. That's why DIRECTV's upcoming wireless mini Genie uses their own access point and WiFi network and not the customers. DIRECTV tech's have to do the install and make sure they have a 'green' network status else they won't do the install.