Vista

fortinjlf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Terre Haute, IN
Did some research, but haven't yet received an adequate answer for such a computer illiterate such as myself. I am trying to connect my Vip622 via TV #2 to MSI computer Windows Vista. I can't get the Windows to recognize any of the channels I input. I've used both AIR and CABLE settings in the TV Modulator setup menu.
Can someone help out a noob here?

WTF are you talking about. If you are using the output of the coax it's gonna be the NTSC channel that you set the 622 to output. How are connecting it and more info of what you are trying to do is needed.

Two ways to do it. As watchel said, you can use the TV2 RF (coax) output, or you can use the composite (yellow) output.

If you're using RF, you can change the modulated channel in the 622's menu system. More information here: Tech Portal : 622

If you're using composite, you don't have to pick a channel with the tuner card (assuming your tuner card has a composite input).

Last edited:
Let me explain further. The 622 is in the kitchen connected to computer on the other side of the house via coax. In TV modulation menu. TV#2 selected to channel 60(others have been tried) even tried CABLE channels.
In Media Center TV setup: checked SATELLITE, checked PREPARE FOR SET TOP BOX SETTING, then SELECT A WORKING TV SIGNAL popped up and the choices were: channels 2,3,4, S-video, composite video, and none of the above. Clicking "none of the above" yields: no results found.
Similar results with everything I've tried so far.

I've never set up a Windows Media Center before, so I putter out here. But as you're configuring WMC, it asks you what input devices you want to use, and your input device appears to be a tuner card of some sort. You need to tell WMC to use that tuner card, and to treat it like an analog (NTSC) TV tuner. Then WMC needs to do a channel scan with that card, and the only channel it picks up should be channel 60, assuming your 622 is turned on and pushing video via coax.

Frankly, I'm not sure that you can use TV2 on a 622 to view recordings and change channels. If you could do it with XP's Media Center, there should be no reason that Vista can't, but you're asking a lot out of a piece of free software. I'm pretty sure I've seen WMC control a 622/722 on TV1 when connected via S-Video, using an IR blaster to change channels and whatnot, but at that point, you'd be better off using a less-powerful [complicated] receiver.

Tip: if you can figure out how to set the agile modulator on the 622 to a lower channel, such as channel 21, you should do that instead of 60. Typically, the lower the channel number on the agile modulator, the better the picture quality of it's output.

Did the following: clicked ANTENNA, clicked ANALOG ONLY (NTSC), clicked RETURN TO TV SETTINGS, clicked FINISH, and that was it. Went to LIVE TV and there was channel 2. At no where along the line did I see an option to change channels.

You don't have a Media Center remote for this machine? What about using the arrow or pgup/pgdn keys? I've never used WMC with a tuner, so I'm just guessing.

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to daisy-chain a DVR (WMC) onto another DVR? Using the TV2 coax output and a Dish UHF remote, you shouldn't need to be fiddling with this. I understand the desire to play with WMC, I have a strong one, too. It's just that it'd be a lot easier to try to learn with a DTV converter box and a set of rabbit ears than to mess with a full-featured Dish DVR.

Yeah, I tried channel 21, same result. After all the settings were tried, when I did get the live tuner on and the channel changer at the bottom of the screen popped up, changing up or down had no effect. I remained on channel 2 and showed NO DATA.

Wow.

There is an MC remote, but the directions indicated I had to hook up the computer to the TV(I'd have to do it wirelessly) and use an IR blaster. Not too sure I want to try all that, and then not have it work.

WMC uses a table of channels and their frequencies it downloads during setup based on the zip code you enter. Your TV2 out channel will obviously not be in that list. You would have to manually add that channel. IIRC that is done in WMC setup via the Guide settings. To summarize, you need an NTSC capable tuner card in your PC, the coax from the TV2 port connected to the NTSC-in port of the tuner card, run WMC setup, go to Settings-TV-Guide-Add Channels and manually add the TV2 channel. Hopefully you can view it them. I'll just note WMC was not really designed for this type of thing. It was really designed for recording OTA broadcast channels and analog and clear QAM cable channels, the latter with Windows 7 or the TV Pack Update to Vista Media Center.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)