This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Vizio Passive 3D set

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Well I have been looking for a tv set to use outside during this upcoming football season for a few months. To begin with I was going to go as cheap as possible, probably a 27 incher, but the more I looked, and the more I thought about it, I decided that I would shop more in the 40 inch range, if the price could be under around$700 for a decent set.

Being outside, plasma was pretty much out, and the fact that if I didnt mount it, I would be taking it in and out, the weight and durability was a concern.
So for the price, and with those two factors in mind, I focused on LCD.

Well I wasnt looking at anything fancy, although I wanted to get all that that price point would allow. Basically, 3D was no where on the radar screen, until I came across a 42 inch Vizio 1080p lcd on sale for under $640. The specs looked good, and Vizio makes a good value set, so I said what the hell and got it.

Brought it home and set it in place of the bedroom 1080p panny plasma just to play with it and get the settings dialed in.

I must say that, given the short amount of time I have had to adjust things, I am pretty impressed with the set overall.
It has the normal LCD weaknesses that keep the tech from being my first choice, but I have found that there have been great improvements in those areas since I last owned a LCD set.

The HD picture as good. Straight on it gives the plasma a run for its money (almost), off angle, while improved, is still far behind.
All in all, it will be perfect for what I am going to use it for.

To the 3D. Like I said, this was not something I was looking for, especially in one that I am going to use outside, and outside of the theater I had no experience with the passive tech. I had used the active Panasonic sets and have been extremely impressed with the depth of those. In fact my next living room set will be a panny 3D plasma. Now that I have said that, lets just say that I was pleasantly surprised with the results this lower priced set produced in comparison to the pricier panny.

The depth is fantastic, and the PQ (while reduced in numbers on paper) is comparable. Any loss in resolution (on a screen this size) is honestly not noticeable to these eyes.
The glasses, well, there is no comparison. I wouldnt want to sit and watch for an extended period with the current active glasses (and with them having to stay charged couldnt anyway), but I put these on and honestly fell asleep in them as I was watching from the bed. Very comfortable, and no noticable eye strain.

All in all, again I am very impressed with the performance of this set, and am sold on passive 3D tech.

I think Don Landis has one of these and he loves it.

Need more glasses? Just go see a 3D movie and take your glasses home.

I think Don Landis has one of these and he loves it.

Need more glasses? Just go see a 3D movie and take your glasses home.

Lol, we went and saw Captain America in 3D on friday and had I known I was going to get this, I would have kept them.
You can find them cheap though.

I got to check out Directvs 3D offerings as well. Im impressed, but I can tell I will be wishing for more content soon. Plenty to keep me occupied for the time being.
I did notice that ESPN3D had NOTHING showing in the guide for some time.

On a side note, I checked out the Sports Illustrated Swimsuite 3D experience through the PS3.....hubba hubba...

Oh, also forgot to mention that this set has built in wifi, and comes loaded with Netflix, Hulu+, Vudu, Blockbuster, ect.
From what I have been able to tell so far, all of that works well.

I purchased a 47 3D Vizio 2 months ago and have been very pleased with the set and with next years tax return I will get their 65 set.I saw a IMAX this past week and tried their glasses on the vizio and they do not work only the real D glasses work with this set. I must have a couple dozen glasses now from going to the theatres and taking in a 3D movie

I would honestly consider a larger version of this for my living room, but the viewing angles and lighting would not be ideal, so that leaves me with my plasma option. For most, I would recommend it with no reservations.

Espn has been showing Friday Night Fights in 3D the last 2 weekends...

Yeah, I see that I have simply gotten this thing on the few days when they show absolutely nothing. Looks like something will be on thursday.

I spent alot of today fiddling with it, I am totally sold on 3D in the home.

Yep!
Ive never watched, but I will this year, just for the experience.

Im also close to pulling the trigger on a Vizio 47'' 3d set. Its for Kids play room\ guest room.
Im going to put our video games systems in there as well.
Wii and xbox.

Im also looking at last years 3d panasonic-50''
Roughly same price.

I already have both non 3d sets. Both impressive.

Only concern is the burn in on a plasma??
Plus gaming might be good long term for a plasma. Not sure?

Any thoughts?

Honestly, for the same money, I would probably go Panny for the (IMO) better 2D picture that plasma gives, but I would say that from what I have seen you probably wont be making a bad choice either way. Both are good sets.

As far as burn in, I game on my panasonic plasmas all the time and its never been a problem. I wouldnt worry about that.

Cool! Thanks so much.

I use the Vizio 3D Passive here in my video edit room as a secondary monitor. As Scott told you I am pleased with the bargain. For general use the only disadvantage I see is that the vertical viewing angle is fairly tight. I have lots of glasses I brought home from the theater too but my favorites are the flip up clip on I bought through Amazon for $9. I now wear reading glasses for computer monitor eye ease so these clip on flip-ups are the best. I bought the 32" Vizio as I sit 5 ft from it, 40" was just too big.