VOIP DVR Dialout Solution Works

Kandiru

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Hi:

The old 811 allowed me to dial *99 as a prefix priming the 1800 dialout number for data transmission to Dish.

The farthest i got with the 942 is to have it start a smart card query, then fail while using an inverted DSL filter.

Now the Sipura 1000 Unlocked ATA for 39 off ebay,

http://www.sipura.com/products/spa1000.htm

programmed for Free World Dialup,

http://www.sipura.com/support/help-fwd.htm

with the * or *99 prefixes works like a charm every time.

This solution also opened the door for me to free VOIP. Still keeping my Nuvio account for a long time to come, but its good to know that i now have an extra free line.

Thought this would help yall. Of course this will be obviated by the 622's ethernet port.

Last edited:
You Don't, you enter it as a prefix <*99> in the Sipura's "dial plan" string.

My Linksys from Nuvio is locked so it wont let me do it. Luckily my fax machine allows me to set the *99 prefix. Data occupies a lot of bandwidth and they dont allow you to dial star * at all. Now if you get an unlocked Linksys ATA its a different story.

So the "unlocked" Sipura is called this way because it is 100% tweakable all the way to funny things like baud rates and such, as it is not preconfigured for any provider.
I configured mine for Free World Dialup with Sipbroker and IPKall.

FWD allows you to dial 1800 out for free.

More discussion groups on the amazing world of VOIP here:

www.voxilla.com

www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

BTW do you know that with Nuvio i have free unlimited US/CAN/PR for $29 and second line too. I have call forwarding for free and see live online call statistics as they go through.
I pay c4/min to Hungary. We laugh so hard when SBC mails us the weekly "please come back" offer with $60 unlimited local calling for 3 months, losers.

xxxx the telco POTS go to xxxx:)

Last edited:
Just an addon, as i was setting up the Sipura i reviewed my receiver's activity log and noticed that the purchase was gone. Indeed, the Dish account showed Madagascar fee added hours after i set up the inverted DSL filter.

So, a 5 buck DSL filter in reverse using a two wire (not 4) phone line works too!

The Sipura stays though as my backup phone, i now got it to receive any calls for free on a Seattle local number (haha i live in OH but IPKall in WA) and dial out 1800 and working on getting my parents cross the pond so we can have "red phones" that will dial each other directly. Well my bro is another geek so with him we do video Skype.

Last edited:
modifying my dial plan

Kandiru said:
You Don't, you enter it as a prefix <*99> in the Sipura's "dial plan" string.

can anyone show me an actual example of how to take a dial plan and have the *99 entered in the string to act as a prefix?

TIA

The dial plan depends on your provider. I know of at least 3 plans that will work with Free World Dialup. Search the Voxilla discussion and you'll find threads on this.

By reading these and the Sipura manuals (pdf on the web) you will become familiar with "Sipura Syntax", once you understand it you can become quite creative. I am not that advanced just copied and pasted someone else's until i found one that worked for me.

Last edited:
Kandiru said:
We laugh so hard when SBC mails us the weekly "please come back" offer with $60 unlimited local calling for 3 months, losers.

xxxx the telco POTS go to xxxx:)

Since you have DISH, I assume you don't have cable for internet. How do you get DSL without using SBC as your phone co.? Or do you have something else for hi speed internet?

Mitch

That "*" dialing on 942 may work for the Teletubbies. Tried yesterday and today no way Jose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts