Wifi Joey4 works with no Connection?!

JohnGalt1234

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2023
Clarksville VA
It has been 6 weeks since since I ditched the faulty dish WAP for my 3 WiFi J4s and switched them to my LAN with wired dedicated WAPs (not repeaters). They have all worked flawlessly with my H3 that also connects to my LAN via wired dedicated WAP.
The weirdest thing happened yesterday when 1 of the WiFi J4s triggered a notice on my network monitor that it had dropped offline. So, from another J4 I opened Whole Home, and sure enough, the H3, H+, and other J4 were all listed. Missing was the J4 which I received offline network monitor notification.
So I login to my router DHCP table and it's MAC is not there. I login to its dedicated WAP, it is on my network, has IP and can ping it but shows no clients connected.

So, I go to the "offline" J4... homepage has "no connection" notice. Diagnostics say it has no wifi connection, no wired connection yet is still linked to H3 and Whole Home lists all the other devices. Network says no connection and not connected to my router or Internet.
Bizarrely, live TV was broadcasting, dvr was playable and could delete recordings from H3. Apps did not have Internet and a wifi speed test confirmed no Internet.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Everything on my LAN and all the other J4s say it is offline. The offending J4 itself says it's offline and has no LAN access, yet, it says it is still linked to the H3, can still broadcast live and DVR. HOW is that possible?!

I'm dying of curiosity!!!

While I fixed it by cold booting that J4 and its WAP I want to understand how it still broadcast live TV with no connection.

Man that’s a weird one. If it was only connected by Wi-Fi, I would say that bridging had gotten disabled, probably as a glitch and temporarily for that particular Joey, but since everything is connected by LAN, your guess would probably be better than mine

Reactions: charlesrshell