VOIP on Satellite internet?

carlregular

Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
I guess the title asks what I am wondering,
I am going to wild blue and want to find out if voip is an option. anyone have an idea on this and what company you think, vonage?
Thanks
Carl

I wonder how VOIP would work and how well it would do with the one way satellite services where you only receive broadband from the satellite then you transmit it back through the phoneline (SKYFX, SKYWAY USA). It wouldn't have as much latency I wouldn't think since it would only receive from the satellite and not have to transmit back to it.

You send requests via modem and receive on the satellite so the VOIP wouldn't work there either.

1st VOIP requires usually 256K or higher up 56K won't slice that. Then there's the split between up and down. Different addressing etc.

Doubtful it all would work.

In the world I live in (mobile satellite internet), VoIP is fairly common. Latency is often thrown up as a huge problem, but in practice for many of us it is not a big issue. I remotely administer a business and its servers, and when I'm out of cell range, or in Canada where my cell minutes are outrageous, I've used VoIP for a few years.

All VoIP is not created equal. Both WildBlue and Hughes do things that make Vonage pretty much unusable (didn't used to be that way on Hughes - I used Vonage there until August of 2005 when it stopped working). WildBlue's partner in Canada, Telesat, does not do whatever it is that WildBlue does, and Vonage works fine.

Most of us that are not on very high end satellite like iDirect (where Vonage still works) use software-based systems. The best engine belongs to Crystal Voice, and their primary licensee is NetZeroVoice. Skype works reasonably well also. I use NZV with a USB-to-phone connector that lets me use my regular 5.2GHz cordless phone (doesn't interfere with my WiFi).

re voip over sat

thank you for all the input ,
I bet whatever wb does now that interferes with voip is an oversight and maybe correctable.

thank you for all the input ,
I bet whatever wb does now that interferes with voip is an oversight and maybe correctable.
Correctable, but probably not an oversight which means it probably won't be corrected. WB uses traffic-shaping more than any other satellite provider I'm aware of, and they reduce the QoS for a large number of services. They will tell you that they are optimized for web and e-mail, and that's it.

I wonder how VOIP would work and how well it would do with the one way satellite services where you only receive broadband from the satellite then you transmit it back through the phoneline (SKYFX, SKYWAY USA). It wouldn't have as much latency I wouldn't think since it would only receive from the satellite and not have to transmit back to it.

well there would be considerable latency on the message getting bavck to you.

Sans any filtering or throttling of those kinds of packets, it all boils down to the users tolerance, personally, I don't like _anyone_ enough, to put up with 2-6 second lags between replies (certainly not a winning way to ask a girl on a date), not to mention dealing with echos (if the system does not have [good] echo cancellation). So try a free trial one like Skype, and if it works good enough, great, if not, well, now you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)