Volume change between channels.

lavarock

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
SE Idaho
When I go from Dish channel 239 to 342 there is a very large difference in volume level. If the volume is comfortable on 239 it will almost blow my speakers when I go to 342. :rant:
Has any one else had this problem?

Not necessarily on those same channels, but it is a common "problem". It's most noticeable when changing between a channel with standard stereo audio and one that's providing DD 5.1 SS signals. There the volume is intentionally set to allow you to experience the full dynamic range. So for a quiet passage like normal speech the volume will be low in comparison to a similar passage on a stereo/mono only channel.

One option is to use a "night time" or compressed mode on the 5.1 audio to limit the dynamic range. That might also raise the volume to match the stereo channels...

Searh this forum using the word "volume". You will find how to set the dolby output on the dish receiver to balance sound.
The volume search did not help. Got over 500 hits. But you did give me a hint. I searched Dolby Ouput and was able to correct the problem while using the TV speakers. Not sure what will happen when I get back home and use my home system. Thanks for the input. That is what these forums are all about. :up

The volume search did not help. Got over 500 hits. But you did give me a hint. I searched Dolby Ouput and was able to correct the problem while using the TV speakers. Not sure what will happen when I get back home and use my home system. Thanks for the input. That is what these forums are all about. :up
I posted this in a similar thread, but I thought I would put it here also, as it may be helpful to some:

There has been several postings about this "problem". Until DishNet releases a software solution here is a workaround: The problem is that the Hi def receivers are equipped with Dolby 5.1 as the default output, if you are connected to your TV with a hdmi cable and your TV has only 2 speakers then you have Dolby 5.1 being pushed thru 2 speakers. 2 speakers are STEREO not 5.1 (6 speakers) To balance the sound if you are using your stereo 2 speaker TV output, you must reset your Hi def receiver settings. Depending on your Dish receiver model, go to menu/system setup/dolby Digital, then select RF Mode and select PCM only. Then press DONE. This resets the output to 2 channel stereo to meet your TV's stereo design.( Might need to power off and restart your Dish receiver to get new setting to take effect) If your TV has built in DD 5.1 or you are outputting to a DD 5.1 amp or soundbar, then do not make this modification to your hi def receiver. I can't say this will equalize HD and SD sound levels on all TVs, but it did do that on my LG plasma 50" TV. This also allowed me to use my TV's surround sound settings to produce a better sound from the TV's speakers. Hope this works for you!!! :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)