Vonage

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
wasn't sure where to post this, but its home phone and not cell phone.
Does anyone use vonage? what are your experiences? I was pretty much forced to order it since Comcast is charging me way too much for phone service. I went with the vonage lite pack that is only $15/mo and provides everything I need. I just don't want any issues :p

The one thing I would note, from experience, fax machines do not play nice with VOIP. 80 or 90 percent success is not good enough. Varies by machine, both sending and receiving. FaxTalk works much better. Or you could use one of the fax via email systems. Or maybe you don't send/receive faxes.

The one thing I would note, from experience, fax machines do not play nice with VOIP. 80 or 90 percent success is not good enough. Varies by machine, both sending and receiving. FaxTalk works much better. Or you could use one of the fax via email systems. Or maybe you don't send/receive faxes.
Hardly ever use fax, don't have a machine at home. Thanks for the contribution though, maybe you saved someone else from a big hassle :)

I have used majicjack for a year now and never no problems with it and only $20 a year and 40 for the part with the first year covered

I have used majicjack for a year now and never no problems with it and only $20 a year and 40 for the part with the first year covered
My only concern with magicjack was from what I understand, the computer software isn't that good, and the computer must be on to place a call. That is a deal breaker right there for me.

I don't know if I can cancel Vonage at this point, because I think I'll lose my number :s

I don't know if I can cancel Vonage at this point, because I think I'll lose my number :s

Transfer them before you cancel and make sure they work with your new provider. Yes, it might cost you an extra month's service charge, but at least you will keep your numbers.

I use viatalk. $200 for 2 years ($179 plus tax). Still a $2.50-$2.90 charge each month for 911 and taxes though.

I've had Vonage for nearly 2 years and have no complaints. I like that it lets me take my number anywhere and I don't have to mess with the phone or cable company. Also, the fact that it includes a lot of international calling areas for free (for 24.95 package) is nice for my wife and the in-laws who call back home to China often. It's not the cheapest solution in the world and you can probably get comparable service elsewhere, but for a tested and true solution, it's hard to go wrong with Vonage.

Vonage advertises their ***** for 24.95 or 24.99$ but the real place where they **** you is taxes, I've never seen this many taxes, someone really needs to take a look at their bookkeeping and possibly a lawsuit, its unacceptable to pay nearly 10$+ in taxes for a 25$ service.

Vonage advertises their ***** for 24.95 or 24.99$ but the real place where they **** you is taxes, I've never seen this many taxes, someone really needs to take a look at their bookkeeping and possibly a lawsuit, its unacceptable to pay nearly 10$+ in taxes for a 25$ service.
Yikes! We pay the following monthy taxes and fees for our Viatalk service ($199 for 2-years prepaid):

Package Name: E911 Cost Recovery FeeBilling Cycle: 1 month(s)Price: $0.48

Package Name: Regulatory Recovery FeeBilling Cycle: 1 month(s)Price: $1.97

Never noticed that before. But really, EVERY company does this. You could say the same thing for Cable and other phone bills. A guy on the radio read through his "extra charges" on his Verizon bill and it's just ridiculous.

Not all companies do this. Viatalk as Riffjim4069 and I mentioned earlier charge $179 for 2 years, it came to just under $200 with sales tax. The montly taxes are around $2.50 (911 and regulatory fees). It works out to less than $11/month total bill.

Not all companies do this. Viatalk as Riffjim4069 and I mentioned earlier charge $179 for 2 years, it came to just under $200 with sales tax. The montly taxes are around $2.50 (911 and regulatory fees). It works out to less than $11/month total bill.
Agreed. There is absolutely no difference in the quality between Vonage and Viatalk...and certainly no reason to spend another $300 per year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)