Voom and Fox HD

Gregavi

Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
I have gotten different answers to this seemingly simple question. Does Voom get Fox HD and therefore get the Superbowl in HD? Thanks in advance.

Voom doesn't carry networks (such as Fox) over the satellite. They provide a rooftop antenna so you can get your local channels the old fashioned way - off the air. If you can receive Fox with an antenna, you can see the SuperBowl in HD. If you can't receive Fox with an antenna, you'll have to leave home to watch the SuperBowl in HD if Voom is your only service provider. Simple enough?

Fox is a local station and you get all your local stations via an OTA antenna. I receive Fox with my Voom setup.

I think perhaps the OP is referring to Directv's recent addition of "Fox HD" -- a satellite feed of Fox programming in certain Fox "owned and operated"
markets (other markets require a waiver application).

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html

(This is very similar to CBS HD being offered via satellite on Dish Network, available in 17 O&O markets. See: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/locals/cbshd/index.shtml )

In D*'s case, this is no doubt this is facilitated by the fact that Murdoch's News Corp owns both Fox and Directv.

As other people have indicated Voom currently only delivers digital local networks via Off-the-Air antenna. You can get a fair (but not necessarily accurate) indication of which channels you'll receive via antennaweb.org. While many people receive lots of locals with Voom's default antenna, some get better results with a larger antenna (myself included). In the latter group some people have self-installed (or at least self-purchased) the larger antenna rather than spending a long time trying to get Voom to upgrade them for free.

Good luck!

CDH.

Yes ...I took down the VOOM ANT and added my own and it worked much better. I had installs come over a number of times for me, but I grew tired of waiting for them and taking days off of work. So it was easier if I tried different ANTs on my own time.

TheTimm said:
If you can't receive Fox with an antenna, you'll have to leave home to watch the SuperBowl in HD if Voom is your only service provider. Simple enough?

Yes, it is simple enough. The problem is, it is not the answer I got from Voom customer service. If they can't answer a simple question like that, I don't want their product. Thanks to all that responded.

Gregavi said:
Yes, it is simple enough. The problem is, it is not the answer I got from Voom customer service. If they can't answer a simple question like that, I don't want their product. Thanks to all that responded.

If you can overlook the sometimes frustrating installation process and the somewhat ill-informed customer service reps, you'll probably be quite happy with Voom -- assuming you can indeed get your locals OTA. I've been quite frustrated with Voom as a company many times, but as far as I'm concerned they're the only worthwhile HD service provider. I hope I didn't come across as smart-alecky in my response -- I was trying to be clear, not clever. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)