Voom and ReplayTV

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
*edit* See the bottom for new info

Well, I finally hooked up my 5040 and 5504 yesterday to Voom. I know I'm not the first (that honor goes to tlrowley I think) but I thought I'd share the process I went through, to make it even easier for others.

So what do you need?

1) A Windows PC that you leave up all the time
2) A nice little utility called WiRNS that kjac from AVSForums wrote. See the thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384071&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

3) Microsoft's .Net 1.1 framework
4) A home network that your Replay units are hooked to
5) Replay 4x or higher
6) An account at Zap2It for the guide data.
7) The SQLite utility that can be found at
http://www.sqlite.com/

- Get the archive and unzip it to a folder
- Get an account on http://labs.zap2it.com/ Use this certificate code: DQYN-JQ2N-IBUT
- Setup your zap2it labs account (add all your lineups, see below about locals)
- Double click the StartWirns.bat file
- Open a web browser and go to http://127.0.0.1:8923/
- Click Configuration->WiRNS
WiRNS IP: The ip address that wirns will bind to port 80 on your pc.
DNS Server: A dns server that is accessible from your PC (usually your ISPs)
- Click Configuration->DataDirect
Username: The username you signed up to DD with.
Password: The password you signed up to DD with.
- Click Administration->Update Guide
- Watch the Server window, it will eventually say:
"Processing ToDo Information"
- Close the server
- Double Click StartWirns.bat again
- Click Configuration->Replays
- Add all your replays
- Click Administration->Update Guide again to rebuild the ToDo lists
- Wait for the update to finish, and restart the server again.

*** If you want locals, do not do the following until you have done the sqlite steps below

- Reconfigure your replay to use a static ip, make the DNS1 and DNS2 your wirnsip
-Add the multiple connections if you are trying to get local data
- Change the zipcode on your replay to proxy through wirns, and select multiple sources to get locals.
- Enjoy.

Local Guide Data Section:

Make sure in the Zap2It section you add a second provider for your locals (you will have to select exactly which locals you have) and in WiRNS, you define a second source for your Local Broadcast. The above steps will get you all of the Voom program guide, but to add your locals you will need to do the following prior to configuring the Replay boxes:

First, copy sqlite into the WiRNs directory. Then execute the following:

sqlite WiRNS.db

SELECT * FROM lineups;

You should get an output that looks similar to this:

VOOM||Satellite|06040
Local Broadcast Listings||LocalBroadcast|06040

Execute the following:

UPDATE lineups SET TYPE='Satellite';

Execute this again:

SELECT * FROM lineups;

And your results should now look like this:

VOOM||Satellite|06040
Local Broadcast Listings||Satellite|06040

Then type .exit to get out of sqlite.

Now, you will need to run 2 sources from the Voom box to the Replay. I run SVideo and coax. Thankfully your Voom box outputs on all connections at once! When you change your zipcode, it asks you what is connected to each input. I chose Video 2 (Svideo), then selected Satellite as my provider, then chose Voom. And then for the Coax input I selected Satellite again and this time chose Local Broadcasts. Obviously use the same Motorolla code on both inputs. And Voila. The limitation is no sub channels. You will only get the mains, because Replay doesn't know how to handle the -. I'm sure if you want to hack the SQL and XML, you could find away around that. If you do, let me know!

It really is that simple. The recordings look outstanding. If you need a PVR stopgap for Voom, I highly recommend this solution. A a note, WiRNS does a LOT more than just this. Play with it, it's an excellent tool for scheduling, task lists, etc;

NEW INFO! Apparently, once you've given Replay the fact that Voom is an input you can stop using WiRNS. So you set WiRNS up, let it connect once, then you change your network setting back to normal. It's outstanding ;)

MP

I really wish Tivo and Voom could work something out so tivo works.

Wilt from the yahoo group is working on it though, so hopefully not long now.

And with the help of kjac (WiRNS author) I now have local guide data populating as well. This is getting better and better.

-MP

If you guys have a DVHS deck, you can setup Voom to use a feature where the deck will start recording when it senses a signal from the STB. So all you have to do is set the Planner on Voom for Autostart, shut it off, leave the DVHS deck on and when the Planner fires, your deck starts recording. This will NOT work with a Dish 6000 since it has an active output all the time.

True... but replays are cheaper :). Plus you can time shift, etc; on them. Excellent tip though. I constantly forget that my JVC deck can function as a normal VCR too. I just useit for firewire. On the other hand, I also have the JVC WVHS VCR for recording 1080i analog. Now THAT rocks.

-MP

Cheaper? I bought my JVC refurbed at Ecost.com for $279, I have yet to see a Replay or a Tivo with a subscription for that price.

Madpoet, what are you feeding your JVC firewire with? I really need something with firewire capability so I can record some OTA HD. I've been thinking about a HTPC with MyHD or a Samsung 165.

Ahh, you got in on that deal. I just missed it, but I didn't pay much more for my Sears closeout model. I DID however get in on the Replay "mistake" deal and got a 5504 with lifetime service for $149 :).

As for what I'm feeding it, I have a TV with an internal tuner that has firewire outputs and I also have a FusionIII in my PC. I tried the 165, but it was redundant for me. Oh, and until I decide for sure on my Voom I also have a Cox cable motorolla 6200 with active firewire.

-MP

I might pick up a Panasonic E80 DVD/PVR since it doesn't require any subscription fees and does a very nice job of recording. If I can get a picture equivelant to my DVHS via S-Video I will be happy with that until HD recording becomes more affordable.

We can only wait & hope for the Voom PVR, I'll jump on that deal in a heartbeat, bugs and all.

The SD picture quality really is excellent, as long as the source is good. I record on Medium on my Replay, which is equivelant to DVD bitrate.

-MP

I have a Replay TV 5504 on the way and will give that a shot to record the HD 16:9 content via S-video without the limitations of the S-VHS VCR.

When using the WiRNS fix for Replay & voom do you still need to subsrcibe to any of the Replay packages for it to function? or does the WiRNS/Zap2It take care of what you need?

Jim

Sony 51" HD RPTV
VA VA VOOM
E* 508 PVR
E* 510 PVR
Samsung SIR T151
JVC S-VHS VCR

You know... I am not sure. I don't think it will work without activation. WiRNS likely doesn't affect that. I've paid for mine for life, so I couldn't say. It really works well though :)

NOHDjunkie said:
I have a Replay TV 5504 on the way and will give that a shot to record the HD 16:9 content via S-video without the limitations of the S-VHS VCR.

When using the WiRNS fix for Replay & voom do you still need to subsrcibe to any of the Replay packages for it to function? or does the WiRNS/Zap2It take care of what you need?

Jim

Sony 51" HD RPTV
VA VA VOOM
E* 508 PVR
E* 510 PVR
Samsung SIR T151
JVC S-VHS VCR

How much did you pay for the replayTV?

You can get a 5040 (superior to the newer 5504) brand new for $99 at Best Buy. They are clearing them out. Lifetime service is $299, or monthly is $12.

-MP

Yep, my origianl 5040 (40gb) is now a 5160 (160gb). That's 80+ hours on medium quality, which is equivelant to DVD bitrate.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts