Voom equipment

phatbastard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Im trying to be creative and think of any genius way my voom equipment would be good to me. I have 2 receivers and the dish on my roof. Other then OTA for local HD, are they just gonna collect dust? I am in no way a satellite wiz or anything. But could I use my Hd receivers for D* since they want me to pay all this money for something that will be obsolete by the end of the year with their HD receivers.....

Voom receivers.........

Voom receivers have only the software (firmware) uploaded to them that make them run with Rainbow-1 only. There have been statements that there are hidden menus within the receivers themselves that allow them to change certain aspects in order to go to a certain satellite (transponder settings, etc.). The only content these receivers can decode however, is digicypher 2 encoded programming. If it's not in digicypher 2, then it will not decode it. Since Direc uses a totally exclusive encrypting procedure on all of its satellites, the receiver will in no way be capable of decoding and receiving from Direc satellites. Dish Network uses DVB (I think???) for decoding its channels that are both in the "clear" and those that are encrypted or scrambled. The firmware can be changed on these receivers, but the decoding scheme will always be digicypher 2, since that is the only decoding scheme built in to the receiver itself. It could possibly be used to receive "in the clear" digicypher 2 transmitted programming such as (Wealth TV) on C-band that broadcasts in the "clear" on C-band, but I wouldn't recommend going beyond receiving in the "clear" since you will be violating federal laws doing so. It's been stated also that these receivers can possibly be reused for a Canadian satellite company by having the firmware flashed over. Others around here have stated that these can be used for cable by having a cable company flash their software over it. Anyways, any experimentation that you do with these receivers you do at your own risk. I am in no way condoning of illegally receiving scrambled programming nor am I advocating the reverse engineering of this receiver.

Good post!!!! A very educated post.... But based on that information I think they are going to collect dust for me, probably wont throw them away just because in a way they seem like they are worth alot of money, and then again at the same time they are worthless...

A question I've had myself.......

Anybody know what the usb port on the back of the set-top box is for? I've been wondering this ever since I first received my receiver.

lilyarbie said:
Anybody know what the usb port on the back of the set-top box is for? I've been wondering this ever since I first received my receiver.
It was to be used for the infamous DVR w/Whole Home Networking. Needless to say, it was never used since the DVR was a no show.

lilyarbie said:

The USB port is also used to download the firmware for the basic operation of the STB. I use this port on other FTA receivers to download new firmware from my computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts