VOOM has signed up 22,000 subs and its averaging 400 per day since middle of 4/04

Number of sites signing up new customers...Sean, you...

may be right about this: "The 400 per day is just one location. There are two locations that I know of." But in talking to a CSR in Spokane, WA (just across the mtns east of Seattle) two weeks ago I asked where they were located as I'd heard rumors about Texas. She said that CSRs for current customers with ?s were still located in Spokane but all new subs were being handled in Texas and billing ?s in NY, I believe.

Actually, I don't care where they get signed up as long as 10s of thousands(preferably 100s of thousands) do in the next few months to keep VOOM viable!

Still watching HDTV under cloudy, drizzly Seattle skies, Gill

Keep in mind that signups may not account for those who were never able to attain service because of line-of-sight issues. A significant number of signups on the west coast are unable to see 61.5.

Churn includes customers that cancel service. It does not include customers who were never able to sign up.

20% churn is indeed terrible, but as time goes on, the churn numbers will drop. I would expect a drastically reduced churn by the time they make their next report and it should continue to make large drops until the reduction in churn gets very small. Think asymptote...

Mr.Poindexter said:
20% churn is indeed terrible, but as time goes on, the churn numbers will drop. I would expect a drastically reduced churn by the time they make their next report and it should continue to make large drops until the reduction in churn gets very small. Think asymptote...
asymptotic? asymptotical? why do i feel the urge to plot a parabola?

sign up and installed are 2 different things...........I signed up a month ago, still no install!

rkr0923 said:
sign up and installed are 2 different things...........I signed up a month ago, still no install!

Well - I feel better about the equipment shortage IF their subs are up that much. If their sub rate shot up faster than they thought, then that could easily cause an equipment shortfall, and overloaded CSR's. We may be experiencing accelerated growth. That is good for the long term viability - but service quality usually drops when this happens to a new company. It could also change their policy towards upgrade to the DVR and the oval dish - may not be as free or painless if they have 2-5 times as many to swap out.

For your specific instance, contact Installs Inc. Some installers have equipment on-hand so maybe they can switch you to another installer that has equipment.

Ken F said:
Keep in mind that signups may not account for those who were never able to attain service because of line-of-sight issues. A significant number of signups on the west coast are unable to see 61.5.

Churn includes customers that cancel service. It does not include customers who were never able to sign up.

I've only read of one west coaster that could not get a signal. What do you base that on?

Seawaves said:
I've only read of one west coaster that could not get a signal. What do you base that on?
In many cases the problem is that the installers don't try hard enough. If you go to the Portland, Oregon thread (link on my signature) you'll see a couple of cases (including mine) where the 1st installer failed blaming the low inc. angle. In fact my 1st installer told me that his success rate was only 20%.

My installer said he had only installed 3 of 8 here in Southern California. My installation made it 4 of 9 or about 44%. Don't know how hard he tried on the others but compared to the DTV guy he did take a lot longer. Many of these guys may be doing OJT.

Two other homes on my block have Voom

Voom is very popular. One of my neighbours has voom and the house round the corner on Berkley in Santa Monica has Voom. Everyone is talking about Voom. I am in the Dry cleaning business in West Hollywood and all the who's who in Hollywood know about and are taliking about Voom when the issue is HiDEf. I think Voom will have a 100, 000 subscribers in the next 6 to 8 monthis and will cross the million mark in a year or year and a half. They have a great product. dish network was nothing in 1997 look where they are today. HDTV is the hottest selling product today. 50 million sets will be sold in the next four years and everyone hungry for HD will get Voom. Voom has the capacity for 100 hd channeles in the next year with MPEG 4 and new Satellite capacity. I am waiting to buy stock so i can get rich off Voom.

calikarim said:
Voom is very popular. One of my neighbours has voom and the house round the corner on Berkley in Santa Monica has Voom. Everyone is talking about Voom. I am in the Dry cleaning business in West Hollywood and all the who's who in Hollywood know about and are taliking about Voom when the issue is HiDEf. I think Voom will have a 100, 000 subscribers in the next 6 to 8 months and will cross the million mark in a year or year and a half. They have a great product. dish network was nothing in 1997 look where they are today. HDTV is the hottest selling product today. 50 million sets will be sold in the next four years and everyone hungry for HD will get Voom. Voom has the capacity for 100 hd channels in the next year with MPEG 4 and new Satellite capacity. I am waiting to buy stock so i can get rich off Voom.

You should research before you write thing,Dish had 100,000 subs in its first month and a million in its first year and back then they were selling their units not giving them away like how everybody is now.

Not everyone is giving units away now, Bruce. They are only giving away basic NTSC receivers with a 1 year committment. Nobody is giving away reaceivers without a committment and nobody is giving away DVRs or HDTV receivers.

bruce said:
You should research before you write thing,Dish had 100,000 subs in its first month and a million in its first year and back then they were selling their units not giving them away like how everybody is now.
Dish was selling to SD customer base not a small HD base. Try comparing apples to apples next time.

[joking]Is it supposed to be good news that people in Berkley and Hollywood like Voom?[/joking]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)