VOOM needs your help: Stuttering on locals

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
VOOM plans to ask Motorola to look into the stuttering (dropped frames) on locals, but they need more information to help diagnose the issue.

If you notice stuttering on VOOM's satellite channels, do you also notice it on local DTV/HDTV channels?

If you do experience stuttering (dropped frames) on local off-air channels, please provide any information you can. Indicate how often you see it, whether it is on all or just some OTA HD channels, etc. If it is more noticeable on a particular local channel or HD program, what channel and what program? If you have another HDTV STB, indicate whether you see the same stuttering on that box.

CBS, Starz-HD, Show-HD, Bravo-HD, WorldSport-HD --- to name a few. It happens everytime you try to watch a channel. After a few minutes of watching the channel, you will see this. It is more apparent in non-local channels with moving action. The one channel were I have seen it the most Show-HD and Starz-HD on any movie.

i have seen it on locals as well as SAT.but to be honest i watch the sat channels more on my voom set (65" downstairs) watch locals mostly at night upstairs (no voom not hDTV) since it's on both i guess it's a STB issue..why oh why can't they use the SA box which IO customers have and i asked, never a lock-up glitch etc i scanned one real fast at my cousin's house played with all the buttons FAST no problems

VOOM is aware of the stuttering on satellite channels caused by encoder issues. They were not aware of stuttering caused on locals by the STB. Subscribers are going to have to provide more information on local OTA stuttering if they want the issue with locals to be solved.

With satellite, I see stuttering perhaps once every 2-5 minutes, depending on the channel. I notice it every few minutes on StarzHD and ShowHD, and a bit less on HBOHD. With HD on the locals, I see it less frequently, maybe 5-10 times an hour. I don't watch SD off locals.

I noticed it probably 15 times an hour during the recent CBS OTA (WUSA) broadcast of the Final Four. It's easiest to see when it occurs during a set camera placement or camera pans; it is not as obvious when it occurs between scene changes. Keep an eye out for it on today's CBS Masters broadcast in HDTV (4-6:30pm).

I had stuttering on all the HD channels when first installed. The fix was to use the 5 second reboot. The more I rebooted the longer the fix lasted until now it has been a week since I rebooted and it is good. The locals are the same as the other HD and I notice no additional stuttering.

cmercer said:
I had stuttering on all the HD channels when first installed. The fix was to use the 5 second reboot. The more I rebooted the longer the fix lasted until now it has been a week since I rebooted and it is good. The locals are the same as the other HD and I notice no additional stuttering.
If you watch a soccer game on WorldSport and the camera is panning in a smooth motion, do you not notice what appears to be a small skip or bump every so often? It's as if someone stomped on the floor next to the camera giving it a small skip.
It is also fairly easy to see on the CNNFn channel when the tickers are scrolling across the bottom of the screen. The tickers scrolls across the bottom of the screen at a very steady pace. Every minute or so you will see a small (fraction of a second) pause or skip.

Gr8Reb8 said:
If you watch a soccer game on WorldSport and the camera is panning in a smooth motion, do you not notice what appears to be a small skip or bump every so often? It's as if someone stomped on the floor next to the camera giving it a small skip.
It is also fairly easy to see on the CNNFn channel when the tickers are scrolling across the bottom of the screen. The tickers scrolls across the bottom of the screen at a very steady pace. Every minute or so you will see a small (fraction of a second) pause or skip.

That is a perfect description, and a good way to find out if you've got the stutters! Great reply!

rang1995 said:
poll shows a difficult problem to find-different for different users

There are people out there that might have it , that really don't notice it. My wife for instance doesn't notice it at all. But my father had come over a few weeks back and we were watching motopig, and he noticed it right away. Some folks just won't see it.

With satellite, I see stuttering perhaps once every 2-5 minutes, depending on the channel. I notice it every few minutes on StarzHD and ShowHD, and a bit less on HBOHD. With HD on the locals, I see it less frequently, maybe 5-10 times an hour. I don't watch SD off locals.

I noticed it probably 15 times an hour during the recent CBS OTA (WUSA) broadcast of the Final Four. It's easiest to see when it occurs during a set camera placement or camera pans; it is not as obvious when it occurs between scene changes or changes in camera angles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts