Voom not planning to use led lights on box....

Seanb61

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 4, 2004
Chicago
How many people are hoping that voom will update the box at some point to include the clock function/channel display on the front of the box?

......well its not going to happen unless we ask for it.......why couldn't this be "user selectable"? see the yahoo thread on this topic.

Wouldn't do me any good, it's mounted in a rack on the wall behind me so I couldn't see it with pulling an "exorcist" manuever. I guess it would be cool though.

Seanb61 said:
How many people are hoping that voom will update the box at some point to include the clock function/channel display on the front of the box?

......well its not going to happen unless we ask for it.......why couldn't this be "user selectable"? see the yahoo thread on this topic.

You know what, that would be a great idea! I removed my SA3250 box from my equipment stand today and after it was gone, I missed not having the clock there. I never thought that the Voom box had this feature possible. This would definately be nice. And yes, I know, I could just buy a simple clock but I think the Voom box showing a clock would be cooler.

Hammer

Wilt just said NO.

I really wish they would reconsider, the hardware is there.

Make a menu option "Front Clock ON or OFF"

That simple.

Lets see if VOOM listens to their customers. :)

DarrellP said:
I couldn't see it with pulling an "exorcist" manuever. I guess it would be cool though.

I hope that you don't regularly try to re-enact this "exorcist" maneuver....you could do some serious damage...

It would not only be "cool" but it would also justify the cost of building the L.E.D's into the box......again, Why they heck would voom purchase them if they aren't going to use them?

Anyone? Anyone?

BUELLER???!?!?!?!

If you remember, during the initial firmware download of the older boxes,
the display was lit. And I remember how bright it was! As far as I am
concerned, I would be turning it off anyway. It's just too bright. Unless,
of course, there is a brightness adjustment capability...

May be they gave it a try, noticed how bright it was, figured that most people would turn it off anyway, and if so - why bother...

Ilya said:
May be they gave it a try, noticed how bright it was, figured that most people would turn it off anyway, and if so - why bother...

Do you consider yourself most people? Because your not.....

If you remember, during the initial firmware download of the older boxes, the display was lit. And I remember how bright it was! As far as I am
concerned, I would be turning it off anyway. It's just too bright. Unless,
of course, there is a brightness adjustment capability...
I agree. Imo, it's just not worth the effort. If you ever dim the lights for viewing, the brightness of the LED really detracts from the theater experience. No other HDTV satellite receiver has a LED display, so its certainly not a concern for most folks; if it were a cause for complaint, other providers would have added the feature long ago.

If VOOM wants to add the feature so that it can be turned on and off, that's fine. I can always turn it off. That said, this should be far down on their list of priorities. There are far more important issues, both STB and otherwise, that require VOOM's attention. Developer resources are limited, and I would much rather have them working on the code to stablize the box, fixing stutters, fixing 720p DVI signals (with DLPs), adding a return function, adding a direct-to-favorites list option, making the guide return to the currently selected channel, software to add MPEG-4 support, etc.

I agree, i should not be "on the top of the list" of things to do.....but i am sure that it wouldn't take a ton of effort to turn the dam thing on and have a on off choice for the user....OR come up with a new box design that does not include the LED's and save a few cents on each box on the cost of producing each box.....if you not going to use it, don't include it....now that would be "smart business".....

Sean,

If they could save money but dropping the LED, without causing delays or product shortages, I am certain they would. But it's entirely possible that the cost to redesign the box without the LED exceeds the costs associated with shipping it. Or perhaps the change would cause an unacceptable delay in future STB shipments. In all likelihood, an order was placed for tens of thousands of units last year, with a delivery timetable based on their expected customer growth.

For all we know, VOOM has already made the change with a future box design to ship after the existing contract is fulfilled.

Ken F said:
For all we know, VOOM has already made the change with a future box design to ship after the existing contract is fulfilled.

Ken,
I must have missed that one. Could you give a pointer to this info?

andr,

A link to what? My point was that we don't know, hence the expression, "for all we know."

VOOM has now said the decision to put the LED in the box was made before the marketing / software design teams decided not to support the feature, after an assessment of the concerns and issues involved. Boxes continue to be shipped as-is because of the order with Motorola. It's not a product defect that would entitle VOOM to some sort of relief.

Seanb61 said:
Do you consider yourself most people? Because your not.....
C'mon! I was just trying to guess their possible reasons...

But really, have you seen that bright amber display on the VOOM's STB?!!
It's much more distracting than my old cable box...

Ken F said:
I agree. Imo, it's just not worth the effort. If you ever dim the lights for viewing, the brightness of the LED really detracts from the theater experience. No other HDTV satellite receiver has a LED display, so its certainly not a concern for most folks; if it were a cause for complaint, other providers would have added the feature long ago.

If VOOM wants to add the feature so that it can be turned on and off, that's fine. I can always turn it off. That said, this should be far down on their list of priorities. There are far more important issues, both STB and otherwise, that require VOOM's attention. Developer resources are limited, and I would much rather have them working on the code to stablize the box, fixing stutters, fixing 720p DVI signals (with DLPs), adding a return function, adding a direct-to-favorites list option, making the guide return to the currently selected channel, software to add MPEG-4 support, etc.
Amen to that and by then there will probably be upgraded boxes