voom ota antenna compatible w/dish receivers

heyguy35

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
AUSTIN, TX
voom ota antenna compatible w/dish receivers?

i'm getting dishnet tomorrow, can i still use the ota antenna from voom with theirs. I know that the voom receiver powers the ota antenna, will the dish 811 receiver power it too or do i need to buy a power supply for it and can dish installer do it for me, or do i need to run a separate coax cable from antenna to the receiver. Also, I know that voom wiring system is different from dishnet. I would really like to keep my ota antenna for local hd cnannels b/c my indoor power antenna doesn't do the trick. PLEASE HELP!
THANK YOU.

voom ota and dish

Just had dish installed this afternoon. used the voom ota antenna. get most of the local hd channels using the antenna, except abc on the 942dvr. The installer says that the 811's have some incompatability with the voom ota and I'll get fewer. So far he was right, i'm missing cbs and abc on the 811's. Installer say's I might have to get a different antenna to get more ota's. I'll see how I feel about it after I play for a few days. I've seen other threads about powering the ota antenna. I haven't done so yet. Maybe with that I'd get more of the HD locals?

IMO 'incompatible' really isn't a way to describe it. What you are finding out is that the 811 OTA tuner isn't as good as the VOOM OTA tuner. Running a preamp on the antenna may help, and it may make it worse. If you are having multipath issues a preamp can make it worse. A bigger/better and higher antenna may also be something to look at.

i just got my dishnet installer today, and the installer connected voom ota antenna, but now i'm NOT getting any local hd channels. he took off the voom winegard multiswitch (model vm-3400) and place a diplexer at both ends: antenna/satellite side and one at the receiver side. do i need to buy a power supply, multiswitch, combiner, diplexer, preamp.............please help! I WANT MY LOCAL HD CHANNELS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)