voom picture quality

kswanson

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
As I said in another post I'm new here. I've had dish for a couple of years and watched Voom occasionally and noticed the picture quality was better than anything else I had seen including the other Dish HD channels. Was this because Voom was uncompressed and the other channels weren't? Or did Voom use better equipment? I've looked through the older threads on Voom but couldn't seem to figure it out.

Pretty sure that voom was at full resolution in the early days, but in the two years I had it, it was at the 1440 HiLite as pretty much everything else.

Some of it looked great, some didn't. Usually the original source has a huge impact.

I miss not having it. :)

VOOM has an excellent production studio and does a terrific job with the transfers and stuff shot with HD cameras. Alas, the old VOOM DBS only had one satellite and, for much of the time, only broadcast 1440 (HD-Lite) until they leased a 2nd satellite from AMC. Of course, this never happened since they shuttled the service and sold the Rainbow-1 satellite to Dish Network. Initially, some of the 10 channel VOOM lineup was full-blown 1920x1080i (like MonstersHD) and looked outstanding. Unfortunately, the channels were horizontally reduced to 1440 when VOOM expanded to 15 channels and further reduced to 1280x1080i in October 2005 when it was falsely leaked to SatelliteGuys that VOOM had a "fiber problem" with their uplink to Dish Network.

In any case, VOOM looks good because of their excellent production studio...along with the fact they showed everything AOR and never did stetch-o-vision, etc. However, VOOM has rarely looked great on Dish Network due to their proliferation of DishHD-Lite. I would love to see what VOOM looks like on FiOS TV.

So it was production quality. Not unlike the effect on audio of good mastering on a CD (or LP). From what you said and what I've read here we aren't getting true HD pretty much anywhere?

So it was production quality. Not unlike the effect on audio of good mastering on a CD (or LP). From what you said and what I've read here we aren't getting true HD pretty much anywhere?
Voom was the best Dish had to offer. Now, quantity over quality is the mantra in an attempt to advertise. As long as the signal is 16x9, the vast majority of tv watchers will never complain about the current state of HD so why should anyone spend the money to make real HD? That's the attitude and it's very obvious to those who know what HD is supposed to look like. I think a few things do look quite good but it's very little right now.

Just last year over 30% of HDTV owners were not even watching HD content on their tv and had no idea.

It's amazing how many people watch their $3000 tv with stuff hooked up to it by composite cable!

It's amazing how many people watch their $3000 tv with stuff hooked up to it by composite cable!

Yeah, a couple of months ago I was at Walmart and saw the employees hooking up a Bluray player to an HDTV with a composite cable. I pointed out that they should hook it up with component or HDMI to get a good picture, and they just said, "we have no idea what we're doing" and left it hooked up with the composite cable. I'll have to agree, they have no clue what they are doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts