VOOM questions/STB

zim1951

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 24, 2004
I have had VOOM now for several months. After the most recent s/w upgrade I have been having numerous problems. Audio drop outs are driving my wife and I nuts. There seems to be a lot more video breakup too(macro blocking and pixelization). These problems are more frequent on the HD channels, but they happen on SD as well. My wife has had it. She says "get it fixed or get rid of it". I've tried soft and hard resets/reboots. Nada...problems continue.

My question is this: could it be a bad STB??

With the previous software version if you had audio or video breakup/dropout I could just go up one channel and come back to the same channel and all would be fine. Now that certainly does not speak well of the Moto STB but it was a work around while VOOM/Moto got their poop together. Now nothing seems to help.
Thanks up front for any suggestions!!

I've had no issues with what you describe, both of my stb's have been almost rock solid since the last upgrade. I'd start with Tech support and see what they'll do about it.

zim1951, Is this on satellite channels or OTA? All channels, or select ones? What are your signal readings?

This is on HD and SD channels including OTA. Signal strength is 92/96 OTA/SC

When you say drop outs, do you mean instantaneous picture/sound interruptions while you are watching the program? If so, how often and for how long?
When the picture disappears, can you still see the Surf Bar and Info screens?
Are you using digital connections or analog? Have you tried switching from DVI to component?
Next time this happens check the signal quality readings during the drop out. See if the signal level jumps too.

The drop outs are instantaneous picture/sound lasting ~1/2 to 2 seconds (not long enough to check the PG or info screen). All digital connections A/V. I have video on Component as well as DVI...both connections have the A/V dropouts. I called VOOM tech and they are sending out a new STB.

Ilya said:
When you say drop outs, do you mean instantaneous picture/sound interruptions while you are watching the program? If so, how often and for how long?
When the picture disappears, can you still see the Surf Bar and Info screens?
Are you using digital connections or analog? Have you tried switching from DVI to component?
Next time this happens check the signal quality readings during the drop out. See if the signal level jumps too.

Any trees in the line of sight?

No trees...clear LOS. Hopefully different STB will fix this problem.

Well, let us know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)