Voom/Rainbow Talks to FCC

R

rocatman

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
1,051
8
Today's FCC Daily Digest has a Public Notice containing a listing that indicates that Voom/Rainbow made a presentation to the FCC apparently about their 166/175 W DBS licenses. It is on the bottom of page 5 of the link provided below. It is apparently about the 166/175 W DBS licenses because the listing has a reference to Auction No. 52 which dealt with these licenses. This presentation may give some insight into the future of Voom and if anyone has the desire, there are instructions at the top of page 1 for possibly obtaining specific information. Here's the link:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-256543A1.pdf
 
W

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
1,855
0
Portland, Oregon
It looks like the copy of documents need to be requested in person at:

445 12th Street, S.W., Room CY-B402,
Washington, D.C. 20554,

Anybody near that address willing to go and get copies?
 
Bruce

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
9,622
10,711
Walter L. said:
It looks like the copy of documents need to be requested in person at:

445 12th Street, S.W., Room CY-B402,
Washington, D.C. 20554,

Anybody near that address willing to go and get copies?


These ex parte presentations might not be posted, but what was posted at the FCC is who did them:

APPENDIX: EX PARTE FILINGS
The following ex parte filings have been made:
Christopher R. Bjornson, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Howard J. Symons, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Benjamin J. Griffin, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Pantelis Michalopoulos, Counsel for EchoStar Satellite Corporation
David R. Goodfriend, Director, Legal and Business Affairs, EchoStar Satellite Corporation
 
W

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
1,855
0
Portland, Oregon
bruce said:
These ex parte presentations might not be posted, but what was posted at the FCC is who did them:

APPENDIX: EX PARTE FILINGS
The following ex parte filings have been made:
Christopher R. Bjornson, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Howard J. Symons, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Benjamin J. Griffin, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Pantelis Michalopoulos, Counsel for EchoStar Satellite Corporation
David R. Goodfriend, Director, Legal and Business Affairs, EchoStar Satellite Corporation
Good catch bruce!!! It sounds like E* might be buying those frequencies on a separate deal.
 
M

MarcelV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 24, 2004
191
0
So, based on this filing, here's another what-if....
E* buys all of the slots, because they are in the business. of owning and operating satellites. Chuck always stated that the power is in the content, plain and simple. E* owns and operates the satelites and Chuck build another outlet on leased space. When technology changes, he's the one who can easily transform.
And for all the people that say, why E* will do it that way... just look around in the world. How many sub-brands does GE have? Does GM only make one brand of car? DaimlerChrysler? it keeps the market open, E* just owns and operates infrastructure. And when broadband is everywhere or other technology becomes available, what will prevent Chuck to change direction for distribution?
 
G

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
1,510
0
Now this is fascinating and fuels a lot of thought. perhaps you shoud change the title to VOOM/ Rainbow and Echostar meet with FCC.
 
R

rocatman

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
1,051
8
bruce said:
These ex parte presentations might not be posted, but what was posted at the FCC is who did them:

APPENDIX: EX PARTE FILINGS
The following ex parte filings have been made:
Christopher R. Bjornson, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Howard J. Symons, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Benjamin J. Griffin, Counsel for Rainbow DBS
Pantelis Michalopoulos, Counsel for EchoStar Satellite Corporation
David R. Goodfriend, Director, Legal and Business Affairs, EchoStar Satellite Corporation

Bruce,

Was this Appendix of Ex Parte Filings you posted specifically related to the recent Rainbow presentation to the FCC or was it related to Auction No. 52? I ask this because I have searched around on the FCC Website quite a bit recently and it can be confusing trying to find information. Realize that Dish/Echostar won DBS licenses at 157 W during Auction No. 52 last year so if these Ex Parte Filings were only related to Auction No. 52 then the Dish/Echostar legal folks would have filings listed as well. Actually I would think that both Voom/Rainbow and Dish/Echostar would want to wait until the FCC makes a decision on the 61.5 W licenses before bringing up the 166/175 W licenses because of competition concerns. Now maybe the FCC wanted to know what Voom/Rainbow was planning on doing with the 166/175 W licenses before ruling on the 61.5 W licenses.
 
B

bryan27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
622
0
Walsingham, ON
Walter L. said:
It looks like the copy of documents need to be requested in person at:

445 12th Street, S.W., Room CY-B402,
Washington, D.C. 20554,

Anybody near that address willing to go and get copies?

If you want them now, yes you would need to go get copies. That is a standard FCC clause. If it is for public release (which it indicates it is) then it should show up on-line soon.

rocatman said:
Was this Appendix of Ex Parte Filings you posted specifically related to the recent Rainbow presentation to the FCC or was it related to Auction No. 52? I ask this because I have searched around on the FCC Website quite a bit recently and it can be confusing trying to find information. Realize that Dish/Echostar won DBS licenses at 157 W during Auction No. 52 last year so if these Ex Parte Filings were only related to Auction No. 52 then the Dish/Echostar legal folks would have filings listed as well.

That is what I was wondering. I can't remember the timeline, but there are specific times auction winners are to report their completion of milestones. For Exaple: 90 days plan satellite, 120 days order satellite, 2 years construct satellite, etc....

You are entirely correct trying to find information on the FCC site is a pain. Try doing day after day, year after year :eek:
 
R

rocatman

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
1,051
8
bryan27 said:
If you want them now, yes you would need to go get copies. That is a standard FCC clause. If it is for public release (which it indicates it is) then it should show up on-line soon.

That is what I was wondering. I can't remember the timeline, but there are specific times auction winners are to report their completion of milestones. For Exaple: 90 days plan satellite, 120 days order satellite, 2 years construct satellite, etc....

You are entirely correct trying to find information on the FCC site is a pain. Try doing day after day, year after year :eek:

In reading the first page of the Public Notice, it appears that you can have copies made and I assume mailed to you for a fee. I am sure all the satellite providers and cable operators have folks in the FCC offices often to find out what the competition is doing.
 
Bruce

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
9,622
10,711
rocatman said:
Bruce,

Was this Appendix of Ex Parte Filings you posted specifically related to the recent Rainbow presentation to the FCC or was it related to Auction No. 52? I ask this because I have searched around on the FCC Website quite a bit recently and it can be confusing trying to find information.


Yep, because it said updated 2-04-05 at the FCC site and it was a shot in the dark I found it.
As far as your question goes about "recent Rainbow presentation to the FCC or was it related to Auction No. 52?" , remember this thread was about that auction only, nothing else about E* and V* other business they are doing (buying Rainbow 1 ), from the first post :

Today's FCC Daily Digest has a Public Notice containing a listing that indicates that Voom/Rainbow made a presentation to the FCC apparently about their 166/175 W DBS licenses. It is on the bottom of page 5 of the link provided below. It is apparently about the 166/175 W DBS licenses because the listing has a reference to Auction No. 52 which dealt with these licenses. This presentation may give some insight into the future of Voom

For any other info on V* and E* from the FCC site you can go look yourself, I do not want to go back on it unless I have to, it is a pain to find simple info on it :yes
 
B

bryan27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
622
0
Walsingham, ON
Yes, but Auction-52 also had decisions about the 2 remaining frequencies at 61.5 These two frequencies are being operated by VOOM which holds an STA (Special Temporary Authority). In document 04-217 of Auction-52 the FCC ruled that neither Echostar nor Rainbow could own those licenses and that Echostar could not control them or even lease them from Rainbow for a period of 4 years.

The meeting at the FCC could have been over the decision of those 2 frequencies at 61.5 which was discussed and ruled on in Auction-52 proceedings.

Just a thought.
 
M

MarcelV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 24, 2004
191
0
Ilya, Sean or Scott, can one of you put a summary together because those are major events and it will provide for others who not follow the FCC language too well a better understanding what the state of the deal is.
Also, seeing the withdrawl listed, does anyone have info if that has to do with teh Dolans putting an offer on the table?
 
Bruce

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
9,622
10,711
hdtvtechno said:
is this major news or what ? :cool: :shocked

No, I don't think so.
 

Similar threads

cablewithaview
Replies
3
Views
2K
1080iBeVuMin
1080iBeVuMin
J
Replies
16
Views
3K
James Long
J
K
Replies
2
Views
2K
riffjim4069
riffjim4069
B
Replies
74
Views
10K
James Long
J

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

  • rocatman
Top