Voom Receivers on Sale @ Ebay

Guys,
There are some cx that bought their equip..(Sears $750.00) And I heard of some dealers that have been stuck with equip.
I don't know about Voom not activating rec. for customers. We have to give a tech id to activate rec.

Just me 2 cents

Fandale8

Tony N said:
By contrast, I have 2 Directv receivers I bought on eBay. Directv authorized them without any question or hassle. I have been told VOOM will not even authorize a receiver if the legitimate owner decides to discontinue the service and give the receiver to a family member. I hear they will not authorize a receiver they have provided unless they get their full installation fee. Is it true that they want $199 to install a second receiver for a current subscriber, in addition to the $400 price for the receiver, will absolutely will not permit self-installation. Anyone know if this is true?

yeap all it true. so why not just rent you can get 3 for 1.00 with free installtion.

Fandale8 said:
Guys,
There are some cx that bought their equip..(Sears $750.00) And I heard of some dealers that have been stuck with equip.
I don't know about Voom not activating rec. for customers. We have to give a tech id to activate rec.

Just me 2 cents

Fandale8

This is true there were some customer that did buy the boxes at Sears but when they put then on ebay they will tell you that they bought then at Sears
but them are few and far between.

Tony N said:
By contrast, I have 2 Directv receivers I bought on eBay. Directv authorized them without any question or hassle. I have been told VOOM will not even authorize a receiver if the legitimate owner decides to discontinue the service and give the receiver to a family member. I hear they will not authorize a receiver they have provided unless they get their full installation fee. Is it true that they want $199 to install a second receiver for a current subscriber, in addition to the $400 price for the receiver, will absolutely will not permit self-installation. Anyone know if this is true?

$199 for an additional receiver install to an existing account with nocommitment. $49 to install a extra receiver to existing account with a six month commitment. Both are lease options, not a purchase.

Any one here working for Voom or has a business relation with the company?

It seems that what most likely is happening is that Voom is losing the battle. The more I read to my original message and all the replies it seems that either one of the other companies (D* & E*) will go out of their way to satisfy the customer, in this case, me; but, Voom. Their way or the highway.

You can tell me that no one else has as many HD channels, true; but, what good is it if no one at home watches the fashion channel or the rave or the old movies (that are so old that even in HD they don't look good) or has already watched the Chicago special in HD for the n^th time. What I am looking for is quality current entertainment in HD at good price. Simple free market.

I have been paying for a VaVa Voom service for almost a year that keeps me calling the CSR to tell them to turn channels on every month, because for some reason, they go out. Or, because they do not not make the charges to my account on the day they are supposed to, and when they do, they double charge the account and then Voom gets upset because you get your card company to never accept their charges and have them wait for a check.

It has never worked for businesses to force clients; unless, they have either a monopoly or such a product/service that justifies the actions.

Where do I sign for D* or E*?

Well, if VoOm is not going to allow receivers that people purchased not be able to be sold so that someone else can activate them then they should go out of business. That is so stupid. I dont pitty them much now after hearing that.

If my memory service me correct.. When E* or D* first started they didn't have a self install kit. Also I think were it comes down to is also with OTA might be harder to install then the actually dish. I know when my installer first came I already had E* dish on the roof and the install of the V* was quick. However, with the OTA antenna took almost 3 hr and two installers later to get most of the channels. Then the upgrade antenna in which took additional 2 weeks for paperwork and schedule to get..Life is great with V*..

TYORK said:
yeap all it true. so why not just rent you can get 3 for 1.00 with free installtion.

Rent? What if I prefer to own? What if I am not comfortable relinquishing control to others when it is my money I am spending? I like choices. I like to be self-reliant. Those used to be core values in this country. I resent big corporations telling me I need to be spoon-fed. Besides, as to the lack of self-install, I truly doubt if there are many installation techs that have as much Satellite, Television or Electronics experience or skill as I. For these reasons I am not a candidate for VOOM. Directv does not direct or restrict me, and has a pretty decent lineup of HDTV. And with 5 or 6 OTA stations presenting quite a bit of HD in prime time, I am satisfied. Installer, please pardon me if I am not comfortable with a stranger coming into my house to simply plug in a cable or two like I am some helpless boob! $199 to install a second receiver! Sounds like extortion to me!! I cannot help but resent that! By the way, I don't live in a house where some homeowners association tells me how I can live in it, plant around it, or park in the drive either!! Guess I am living in the past, and happily at that!

Curmudgeonly, I am
Tony Neece

Tony N said:
Rent? What if I prefer to own? What if I am not comfortable relinquishing control to others when it is my money I am spending? I like choices. I like to be self-reliant. Those used to be core values in this country. I resent big corporations telling me I need to be spoon-fed. Besides, as to the lack of self-install, I truly doubt if there are many installation techs that have as much Satellite, Television or Electronics experience or skill as I. For these reasons I am not a candidate for VOOM. Directv does not direct or restrict me, and has a pretty decent lineup of HDTV. And with 5 or 6 OTA stations presenting quite a bit of HD in prime time, I am satisfied. Installer, please pardon me if I am not comfortable with a stranger coming into my house to simply plug in a cable or two like I am some helpless boob! $199 to install a second receiver! Sounds like extortion to me!! I cannot help but resent that! By the way, I don't live in a house where some homeowners association tells me how I can live in it, plant around it, or park in the drive either!! Guess I am living in the past, and happily at that!

Curmudgeonly, I am
Tony Neece

Tony,
didn't mean to offend you but the fact of the matter is that there were several box that have stolen and that is one reason that do not activate these . Sound like you are happy with d* so i guess that is where you should stay and by the way it 199.00 to for the install with on rec. and the second is 49.00 . but if you do some check with D* and E* there prices are the same unless you are a new customer and get the free install . NO i take that back if you are a new E customer and don't have a SS number then they will charge 200.00 plus 50.00 to activate just had a customer last week that this happen to .

T, No offense taken. I do think it is reasonable and desireable for VOOM or anyone else to refuse to authorize a stolen box. I wish there was a database on the net where service shops could check on any device that was sent in for repair as to it's legitmate provenance. There is way too much crime out there and way too little of it is prosecuted. By the way, I was glad to see eBay has now banned the sale of access cards.

My gripe is just with the idea that a vendor would place restrictions, and expensive restrictions usually, on who is allowed to install, maintain or repair their product once it has been purchased. I have seen so many cases where relativly simple repairs were made expensive by the vendor's restrictions.

Case in point. My HVAC unit needed a new ignitor cable. Retail price $56. Only available to holders of a HVAC Contractor's license. Now a service call for a HVAC contractor in this area, to replace it, would be over $200 . I would have to work an entire shift to make that much after taxes, but I can replace the cable myself in less than an hour.

I could go on for hours about how our schools actively discourage kids from going into technical crafts or engineering, causing skill shortages and thus high prices, but that is a whole 'nuther rant!

Tony Neece

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts