VOOM Receives Prestigious CNET Editors' Choice Award

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
rtt2 said:
Have any of you bothered to read the review? Well here it is: .
ok I read it.

rtt2 said:
As cable and satellite providers promise to ramp up their high-definition offerings with more channels and programming, Cablevision's Voom satellite service has stepped in to fill the void for the increasingly HD-hungry public. Though Voom costs a bundle--$79.90 per month for the full programming package, plus hardware (see below)--the simple fact is that Voom currently delivers far more HD channels (over 35) than any other cable or satellite service provider, plus a healthy selection of more than 80 standard-definition (SD) channels. True, the actual programming on some of the HD channels is still rather slim, and Voom needs to add HDNet, as well as local sports channels, USA, and the Sci-Fi Channel. But there's still no question that Voom is the ultimate source for HDTV. .
Not without HDnet or INhd, sorry, nope. Id drop the voom exclusives in a heartbeat for a rate reduction and better PQ. And D* should soon add the other channels.

rtt2 said:
DesignInstallation and setup for Voom is similar to that of DirecTV or Dish Network, except that the Voom 18-inch satellite dish is pointed at the southwestern instead of the southeastern sky. A second antenna--included in the installation--is needed to receive local terrestrial HD channels. In our tests in mid-Manhattan, two large skyscrapers block our view of the Empire State Building, from which local HD signals emanate. As a result, we received only the local CBS feed via terrestrial antenna. This is unlikely to be a problem in any other locale, however. .
Umm, the reviewer doesnt think others have this problem? Does he even have a brain?

rtt2 said:
The slim, silver Voom box, a Motorola DSR-550, receives satellite SD and HD signals, as well as over-the-air HD signals. There's no display, but a single green LED indicates live service, while a red light means no reception. A series of orange lights flash to indicate the box is booting up. In case you're wondering, Voom announced that a HD DVR option, similar to the Dish DVR-921, will be available by the end of 2004. We found operation to be exceptionally straightforward. .
when its not locked up? displaying black screens? white dots? or pixelating due to low power and rain fade? Umm did ya try out the picture adjustment features? Did ya find the HD OTA stretching that the already outdated hughes e86 has?

rtt2 said:
There's a great deal of repetition, and during our test, we quickly got sick of Beyonce and Counting Crows concerts on Rave HD and that Real Madrid vs. Barcelona soccer game on WorldSport.
Ya dont say?

rtt2 said:
Some high-profile channels are missing, such as INHD and HDNet in HD, as well as the Sci-Fi Channel and USA from the SD lineup. Worse, there are no local sports channels. Voom programmers are in constant negotiations to fill in these holes, including the possible addition of some regional Fox Sports Net channels. In the meantime, sports junkies will likely want to maintain a cable subscription. .
And im in negotiations to marry Jess I'll let ya know how that goes when it happens. Any one interested in buying some swamp land?

rtt2 said:
PerformanceWe tested Voom using a Panasonic TH-42PHD6, a 42-inch, high-resolution plasma set. Video quality, especially on Voom's exclusive specialty channels, was stunning. Like those of any cable or satellite provider, all of Voom's HD channels look much, much better than any shows broadcast in standard definition. We compared its HBO HD channel to the one from Time Warner Cable New York, and Voom's looked somewhat sharper, delivering a bit more detail on extreme close-ups of faces and fine fabric textures, for example. However, the difference wasn't extreme. Keep in mind that HDTV image quality will vary slightly between different cable and satellite providers. The quality on Voom's HD movie channels is more hit-or-miss than on its specialty channels. Some films look grainier than others, which may be more the fault of the original masters than Voom's HD conversion process. Our biggest problem was that Voom's exclusive movie channels showed most films in full-frame 16:9, even if they were not originally shot at that aspect ratio. For example, the original Night of the Living Dead was filmed in the Academy ratio of 1.33:1, which should result in black bars on the left and right of the image on a wide-screen HDTV. On Voom, however, there are no bars. Dead's images are zoomed so that they fills the screen, with the top and bottom of the image cut off. To Voom's credit, some films shot in wider aspect ratios, such as the original Russian version of Solaris, shot in Sovscope (2.35:1), are shown letterboxed within the 16:9 frame, with thin black bars above and below the image to preserve the director's intent. The company is currently wrestling with how it will show older 4:3 films on its new Classics HD channel; we're hoping Voom opts not to zoom and crop to fill the screen. Like most satellite systems, .
Well its not exactly OAR friendly.

This was a positive review?

DarrellP said:
It's not MY problem, It's Voom's problem. I'm sorry some of you don't have displays big enough to see mosquito noise, but it is there on Voom and not there on Dish. Nough said? :confused: What is the issue here? I think most of you are in denial or just don't know what a good picture is. :yes Right Vurbano? ;)
I see the picture elements moving on Equator. I think thats what you call mosquito noise. I believe the picture does stutter. I think some Voomers are a little too blinded by their loyalties. Give them time. Voom had incredible PQ when I signed on in March, then "black thursday" I think it was happened. All hell broke loose. PQ in the toilet. most of those problems have been rectified but its not as crisp as it was IMO. Regardless, Voom needs to turn up the bandwidth to deliver a better HD picture than D* or E*.

vurbano said:
...Voom had incredible PQ when I signed on in March, then "black thursday" I think it was happened. All hell broke loose. PQ in the toilet. ....

I don't know vurbano how old you are but let's face it. Statements like the above sound childish. Unless, you don't want us to take them at face value. But then, how am I supposed to know what you are actually saying... :rolleyes:

vurbano said:
I see the picture elements moving on Equator. I think thats what you call mosquito noise.
That's affirmative, it looks like a swarm of dots moving around in place. It's plainly visible in trees, rooftops and fine detail (or lack of with the noise).

vurbano said:
I believe the picture does stutter.
I documented the stutter with my DVR and anyone else can verify it. Record any channel for a couple of minutes then replay it. When you see the microstutter, pause and back up frame by frame through the stutter then frame by frame forward through the stutter and you can see what happens. The stutter involves 3 frames:(if I remember correctly) The first frame goes back a frame, the next frame is played twice, then it catches up to live, so the picture looks like it steps back then jumps forward. It does this every 32 or so seconds and you can document it with a DVR. Try it.

vurbano said:
Regardless, Voom needs to turn up the bandwidth to deliver a better HD picture than D* or E*.
I agree.

vurbano said:
And im in negotiations to marry Jess I'll let ya know how that goes when it happens.
Over my dead body! :p

andrzej said:
I don't know vurbano how old you are but let's face it. Statements like the above sound childish. Unless, you don't want us to take them at face value. But then, how am I supposed to know what you are actually saying... :rolleyes:
You dont recall when the PQ was so bad even Sean Mota was threatening to cancel? Id call your lack of understanding of the situation juvenile.Hmmm maybe you were born after March 2004?

DarrellP said:
That's affirmative, it looks like a swarm of dots moving around in place. It's plainly visible in trees, rooftops and fine detail (or lack of with the noise).

I documented the stutter with my DVR and anyone else can verify it. Record any channel for a couple of minutes then replay it. When you see the microstutter, pause and back up frame by frame through the stutter then frame by frame forward through the stutter and you can see what happens. The stutter involves 3 frames:(if I remember correctly) The first frame goes back a frame, the next frame is played twice, then it catches up to live, so the picture looks like it steps back then jumps forward. It does this every 32 or so seconds and you can document it with a DVR. Try it.

I agree.

your preachin to the choir here brother.

Over my dead body! :p
your preachin to the choir here brother.

I see it on my 65" Toshiba RPTV. I haven't noticed the micro-studders though. Almost sounds like a 3:2 pulldown issue.

--Steve

Ugh! I need a vacation away from all this infernal mosquito noise. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 92
if I have to "look for" and "squint my eyes" and "look in the dark corners" or "record on my dvr and playback frame by frame"!!?? WTF ?? do you morons enjoy anything in life? I mean youve spent all kinds of time and money to dfo what? enjoy a movie or scrutinize individual pixels?? ya know what? By those standards, every Tivo,Directivo, DishPVR,ReplayTv and vcr in the world is a peice of crap. why? well, if you record stuff and play it back frame by frame, the pic will smear,pixellate and all kinds of horrible things. Why can a professional reviewer refer to VOOm as "stunning" and you people WHO DONT REVIEW PICTURE QUALITY FOR A LIVING thin k your opinion matters more than anyone else's.well, you guys can go turn out the lights,cover 75% of your screen with duct tape,avert your eyes and chant koom by ya with 3-d glasses on and look for sparklies, I on the other hand will be enjoying high def tv.

mattyro, the mosquito noise on my screen is plain as the nose on your face, no squinting, no 3-D glasses, no dark corners. And smasuch, playing back frame by frame is a way to see what the microstutter is doing. It is not a 3:2 pulldown issue as it happens on a cyclic 32 seconds, every 32 seconds, not every 5 frames.

I still enjoy watching Voom, but if nobody stepped up to the plate to notify Voom of these issues, they would not fix them. How would you like to drive a car that lost a nut every 5 miles? Would you be happy and never say anything? I doubt it. If you guys are happy with the PQ, fine, enjoy it, in the meantime we will strive to make the PQ even better for all.

Now go watch some HDTV.

DarrellP said:
the mosquito noise on my screen is plain as the nose on your face, no squinting, no 3-D glasses, no dark corners.

...in the meantime we will strive to make the PQ even better for all.

I fully agree! Unfortunately, I am tired of hearing about mosquito noise; it is really starting to bug me (pun intended)!

Attachments

• MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 101
mattyro said:
if I have to "look for" and "squint my eyes" and "look in the dark corners" or "record on my dvr and playback frame by frame"!!?? WTF ?? do you morons enjoy anything in life? I mean youve spent all kinds of time and money to dfo what? enjoy a movie or scrutinize individual pixels?? ya know what? By those standards, every Tivo,Directivo, DishPVR,ReplayTv and vcr in the world is a peice of crap. why? well, if you record stuff and play it back frame by frame, the pic will smear,pixellate and all kinds of horrible things. Why can a professional reviewer refer to VOOm as "stunning" and you people WHO DONT REVIEW PICTURE QUALITY FOR A LIVING thin k your opinion matters more than anyone else's.well, you guys can go turn out the lights,cover 75% of your screen with duct tape,avert your eyes and chant koom by ya with 3-d glasses on and look for sparklies, I on the other hand will be enjoying high def tv.
Us morons dont have to squint and look for it, moron. You think CNET reviews PQ for a living? ROTFLMFAO

rtt2 said:
Performance
We tested Voom using a Panasonic TH-42PHD6, a 42-inch, high-resolution plasma set. Video quality, especially on Voom's exclusive specialty channels, was stunning.

42-inch screen - that's why they didn't see any PQ problems. You can see nothing on small screens.

Good news, guys, I watched that Bug show on DiscoveryHD last night and the Voom picture was no different than my Dish picture. No mosquito "video" noise, but the mosquito audio noise was awesome! I found myself looking around several times as the "skeeters" buzzed around my head.

DarrellP said:
Good news, guys, I watched that Bug show on DiscoveryHD last night and the Voom picture was no different than my Dish picture. No mosquito "video" noise, but the mosquito audio noise was awesome! I found myself looking around several times as the "skeeters" buzzed around my head.

I saw the same with Discovery HD last night but Equator HD was full of "mosquito noise" last night. This one is not close to be fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)