VOOM STB FAQ - comments and suggestions

Is there any possible way to watch OTA with an unactivated voom box? I have one fresh out of the box and want to use it for OTA. is there anyway to use the USB port on the back to upgrade the software or is it a lost cause?

I live aprox. 8 miles from our antenna farm. What antenna can I get away with? I live in S Florida, NO hills, NO tall buildings. :cool:

Dknow said:
Is there any possible way to watch OTA with an unactivated voom box? I have one fresh out of the box and want to use it for OTA. is there anyway to use the USB port on the back to upgrade the software or is it a lost cause?
Fresh out of the box most likely will not work since it has not been activated. And as far as I know, USB port was never used for firmware updates. Get an activated box.

coastal-tony said:
I live aprox. 8 miles from our antenna farm. What antenna can I get away with? I live in S Florida, NO hills, NO tall buildings. :cool:
Welcome to the forum!
Pretty much anything should work within 8 miles. Even a cheap indoor antenna might work too. Give it a try! ;)

Thank you!

You guys made it possible for me, with minimal hassle. A Voom box, formerly of New Jersey, now lives a second life in my budding HDTV setup, courtesy of e-Bay and $66. I wanted to do high-5s with someone, but my wife just thought it was all too complicated. :shocked It will be, until I get it simplified and finalized.

FYI, I am running standard cheapo coax (RG-11?) from an antique install, fed from the best Winegard antenna from 20 years ago (with an amp) mounted inside my attic. The antenna is aimed way of the (newfound) proper axis and sits under lightweight concrete roof tiles. I get good reception despite splitting the signal with a cheapo splitter at the antique Mitsu 45" projector (for now) at 48+ miles from the antenna farm on Mt. Wilson.

I was real concerned that none of this would work and was very frustrated with the Voom, until I saw an e-Bayer's post with your links. Voila! I was in business very shortly thereafter.
:hatsoff:

Glad to hear that! And welcome to the forum!