Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
If you have any comments or suggestions about VOOM STB FAQ, please post them here in this thread.
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Ilya,

Here's some more information that should be added to the FAQ. I am going to erase some of this from the "Read me first...." thread.

Is the Voom remote UHF? No it’s not now but it might be in the future. It is not clear whether discrete remote IR codes for on-off, and/or for other functions are available for the standard remote.

What aspect modes does it support?

From the various responses it looks like the receiver also support aspect modes for SD channels, such as stretch. At this point it is not clear wether it supports gray bars, black bars, and zoom.

Does it support multiple DMAs?

Multiple DMA support for OTA? not yet available. It is supposed to come in the next software upgrade

Two pictures that should be added somewhere. Back of receiver.

http://216.120.249.94/voom/inside/small/back2s.jpg
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=488

What type of DVI cable?

The Motorola DSR-550 supports DVI-Dual link connections instead of DVI-Single Link connection. What's the difference between the two? Dual link enables a higher resolution (1920 X 1080) and more channels. You can view 2 displays simultaneously (see http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm). HDMI, is not supported right now.

Is HDCP enabled through DVI? Does this mean that component is downresized?

Software releases: (these should be linked to the threads)

Voom Box Version V00.05.68 Bugs/Problems/Feature Request As of April 2, 2004
Voom Box Version V00.05.5C Bugs/Problems/Feature Request As of March 23, 2004,
Voom Box Version V00.05.08. Bugs/Problems/Feature Request As of November 26th, 2003

Phoneline question connected to STB?

Ok, thanks! I'll incorporate your additions. Anything else missing?

Ilya said:
Ok, thanks! I'll incorporate your additions. Anything else missing?

I would incorporate something like "current issues or known problems" For example, pixelation when changing channels for about 1-2 seconds, "black screen" popping up on certain channels at random (HBO & ESPN). Cinema 10, Monsters, and Epics currently at 720p and it may not display with receivers that do not support 720p. I am sure there are others.

One more: Video Output Adjusment does not work properly.

Ok, here's more. What type of video/audio compression algorithm does it support? MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WM9 (the latter two needs additional module).

About Audio: Optical and Coax audio supported. There was a thread that explain the different type of Audio in the Audio system setting option. I will do a search to find it.

Is the USB port active? If not, is it going to be used for the "media center" type distribution in the future or maybe a network connection for box ID to eliminate the landline?

Is it a host or slave? (Host I would think)

I don't think it is currently being used for anything, as for future possible applications - anyone's guess...

Have you thought about adding some screenshots of the guide to your FAQ?

Ken F said:
Have you thought about adding some screenshots of the guide to your FAQ?
Yes, I thought about it. I just didn't want to make this FAQ too long and also didn't want to repeat the entire User Guide, which already has a lot of pictures in it. May be I'll just add some pictures that are not shown in the User Guide, like the "System Configuration" Menu. What do you think? Any specific screen-shots that you'd like to see in the FAQ?

There's some information about what each audio compression in the settings menu. You may want to add this information.

Sean Mota said:
There's some information about what each audio compression in the settings menu. You may want to add this information.
Done. Thanks to DarrellP for clarification!

Ilya,

The pictures in the users guide are so small and so highly compressed as to be almost worthless. I certainly don't think you need to duplicate the users guide. Instead, just include one or two shots so members--who don't yet have VOOM--can get a basic idea of how the UI works and what it looks like.

I would like to see one screenshot of the VOOM menu and one of the program guide showing integration of locals. Perhaps you could make these shots small (320x240 or 240x180) and link them to larger 640x480 or 800x600 versions, so as not to occupy excess space in the FAQ?

There are several ways you could incorporate these into the FAQ. Under the General questions section, you could include the question, What does the user interface look like? and include these two shots. Under the Local OTA channels section, you could include this as the second question -- Are local OTA channels integrated into the guide? -- with an answer and small screenshot. Some early HDTV receivers had separate guides for off-air and satellite channels.

Thanks for your suggestions Ken, I'll see what I can do.

I've made some improvements to the VOOM STB FAQ. Each question in the list is now hyperlinked to the corresponding paragraph with the answer. There are also links labeled "
top.gif
" that take you back to the top of the question list. I hope this will make it easier to use this FAQ as it gets bigger and bigger every week. Please give it a try. If you notice any links that don't work, please let me know. Thanks!

Note, that the navigation links within the FAQ work correctly only if you haven't changed your user profile options to show less than the default 15 posts per page.

dsr 505 vs 550 will someone publish spec sheet on 550

please publish spec sheet for 550 voom

tom1st said:
please publish spec sheet for 550 voom
Anything particular you are looking for?

aspect ratio changes

I am having a problem with Aspect Ratio (gray or blacked out sides of screen) on some channels with this dsr550 voom reciever.I have the latest software and I have tride to change the view in setup but this is not correcting the problem. is there an option to Select the Aspect Ratio 4:3/16:9 and where is it ? Thanks

ddolds said:
I am having a problem with Aspect Ratio (gray or blacked out sides of screen) on some channels with this dsr550 voom reciever.I have the latest software and I have tride to change the view in setup but this is not correcting the problem. is there an option to Select the Aspect Ratio 4:3/16:9 and where is it ? Thanks
ddolds, I have replied to your question in another thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts