VOOM STBs possibly FTA capable?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
Is there any chance that the VOOM STBs could be sent an update on the last day enabling them as FTA-capable? That would be a nice combination - FTA satellite receiver and ATSC tuner! :D

Unlikely. This would cost money and Cablevision is not interested in spending any more...

Maybe tweaking the design....

You might could tweak the design and be able to receive those broadcasts that are encoded (not encrypted or scrambled) with Digicypher 2. There are a few channels out there broadcasting in the "clear" with Digicypher 2 encoding instead of the common DVB encoding format, which these boxes have no capability of without doing some major overhaul on them (possibly having to get new boards for DVB decoding,etc.). I've heard that these boxes have a hidden menu that would allow someone to change the satellite data in order to receive those channels broadcasted off of another satellite "in the clear" and not scrambled. One channel I know off-hand that broadcasts in the "clear" with Digicypher 2 encoding is Wealth HD that was recently added to our line-up before the shutdown notice was announced. It might not be worth the effort just to get a few "clear" channels that are broadcasting with digicypher 2, since most FTA uses DVB. For more information check out the FTA forum here at Satelliteguys.us. Notice: when I stated the above information, I did not mention decrypting scrambled signals (ie DirecTV, DishNetwork channels that are pay channels only and not broadcasted without scrambling technology). I do not condone this activity and neither does satelliteguys.

No, not really, there isnt anything good In the Clear for DC2, and it really isnt possible for it to recieve DVB..

If your box is active, then count your blessings and watch your ATSC off-air ;)

lilyarbie said:
You might could tweak the design and be able to receive those broadcasts that are encoded (not encrypted or scrambled) with Digicypher 2. There are a few channels out there broadcasting in the "clear" with Digicypher 2 encoding instead of the common DVB encoding format, which these boxes have no capability of without doing some major overhaul on them (possibly having to get new boards for DVB decoding,etc.). I've heard that these boxes have a hidden menu that would allow someone to change the satellite data in order to receive those channels broadcasted off of another satellite "in the clear" and not scrambled. One channel I know off-hand that broadcasts in the "clear" with Digicypher 2 encoding is Wealth HD that was recently added to our line-up before the shutdown notice was announced. It might not be worth the effort just to get a few "clear" channels that are broadcasting with digicypher 2, since most FTA uses DVB. For more information check out the FTA forum here at Satelliteguys.us. Notice: when I stated the above information, I did not mention decrypting scrambled signals (ie DirecTV, DishNetwork channels that are pay channels only and not broadcasted without scrambling technology). I do not condone this activity and neither does satelliteguys.

been there tried that...have an old StarChoice receiver and I know the "secret" menu to get into it.....once they become deactivated, you'll get the screen "please wait for activation" or something like that.

Plus to get the guide, you would have to aim it at Galaxy 10 C-band to get any type of guide (or channel listing)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts