Voomer thinking of Dish Networking

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
I recently signed up with Voom. Things have been sub-par, to say the least. I was wondering if you guys could provide insight on a couple of things I have heard from others.

1)Dish channels are over-compressed and look bad. Does this include the HD Channels.

2)The 811 is a sub-par. Very buggy. Why is it buggy? Is Dish fixing it?

3)Dish abandons customers after sale. This bothers me if its true. If I got Dish, I would have to start with the 811. I'd like the 921, but I don't have $1000. Will I be able to get the 921 down the road, at a reduced price.

4)What about my digital/HD OTAs. Does Dish provide me with an antenna. I like Dish's pricing and offerings. I really have no use for Voom's exclusive HD content.

5)In order to get best offer for me, Dish will require me to sign 12 mo. lease. Will Dish be adding HD channels as they become available? Shwtime, Encore, Cinemax already exist on Voom, but not on Dish. What about HD-TNT when it's ready?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

3. I don't think this is true...I've never had a problem with Customer Service (I've really never needed it) and this forum is great help

4. Dish does not provide you with an antenna.

cyuhnke said:
5)In order to get best offer for me, Dish will require me to sign 12 mo. lease. Will Dish be adding HD channels as they become available? Shwtime, Encore, Cinemax already exist on Voom, but not on Dish. What about HD-TNT when it's ready?

I just got an 811 and 301 on the DHA plan, and I sure didn't sign any 12 month lease. Paid $49 up front, and got it back on the first bill. I had to commit to continue subscription to the AT60 plan or higher, and since I got the 811, the $10 HD package. If I decide today that I don't want it, I can terminate at anytime. I just have to give them the equipment back.

Don't hold your breath waiting for more HD channels.

I don't think the 811 has near the problems the Voom STB has.

Dish does not provide the antenna for OTA locals.

Some channels are overly compressed, some are ok.

Get tired of watching the same movies over and over again on Voom?
When in comes to the HD channels carried on dish, it is basically the same story. At least things will be a little better when they switch sportcenter to HD in April.

Dish Network has east feeds of HBO and Showtime HDTV, plus Discovery Theater, ESPN-HD, and the Hdnets (similar content to VOOM exclusive channels). They don't have HD west feeds, nor do they have Cinemax, Starz, Encore, The Movie Channel, or Bravo in HDTV.

Dish Network doesn't currently have capacity for more than one or two HD channels from their Dish500, and even that may only be possible with additional compression (picture degradation). The near term prospects for additional HDTV on Dish Network are not particularly good, with the decision to postpone the Superdish rollout for HD.

Longer-term, Dish Network will have more options once E*10 launches in 2005, and possibly once AMC-15 launches towards the end of this year.

4)What about my digital/HD OTAs. Does Dish provide me with an antenna. I like Dish's pricing and offerings. I really have no use for Voom's exclusive HD content.
You must supply and install your own antenna. That said, VOOM's antenna isn't very good anyway. But keep in mind that unlike the VOOM STB, the current software on the 811 does not list programming information on the local HD broadcasts in the guide. You can refer to what's showing on the Dish SD network feeds, if you choose to subscribe to those.

Dish Network charges $61.98 for their TOP60 package with all premium movie packages, or $71.97 with the HD package included. VOOM offers all their standard, premium, and HDTV channels at $79.90/mo, but their SD lineup is obviously inferior to that on Dish Network. Basically, you would be trading VOOM's superior HD lineup (with exception to ESPN-HD) for a better SD lineup with ESPN-HD.

When in comes to the HD channels carried on dish, it is basically the same story. At least things will be a little better when they switch sportcenter to HD in April.
Unfortunately, ESPN is a bit behind schedule. The original ETA for SportsCenter was April 4, iirc. The current ETA being reported for SportsCenter is early JUne.

I just called Dish and the lady said there was no contract required. Within 2 hours, 2 operators, 2 offers. What is compelling me to consider the change is getting ESPN and my regional sports carrier. I am a little concerned over dish's bandwidth constraints. Does cable have the same problem with bandwidth that sat. does? Thanks for your help.

Keep in mind the RSNs on satellite are not currently available in HD. Some RSNs on cable are available in HD.

In general, cable has more bandwidth for HDTV. That said, the quality and quantity of HDTV varies widely by carrier and system. Some newer / rebuilt cable networks have plenty of capacity for HD, while some older systems do not. Though even when the capacity exists, cable companies are not necessarily the first to add the latest channels.

Certainly, it would be worthwhile to see what HD channels are offered by cable in your area, as well as what kind of equipment they have. Comcast and Time Warner are both rolling out HDTV PVRs (for rent) in certain markets.

cyuhnke said:
I recently signed up with Voom. Things have been sub-par, to say the least. I was wondering if you guys could provide insight on a couple of things I have heard from others.

1)Dish channels are over-compressed and look bad. Does this include the HD Channels.

3)Dish abandons customers after sale. This bothers me if its true. If I got Dish, I would have to start with the 811. I'd like the 921, but I don't have $1000. Will I be able to get the 921 down the road, at a reduced price.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

No provider is perfect. No, it's true.

1. Some Dish stations are compressed a lot, some barely. I have noticed (unscientifically) that premium channels (HD, PPV, and premium packages) are compressed less, i.e. I see much less pixelization on these stations.

2. The 811 is buggy, but it is less buggy than it was. I have had it since beg. December and it has improved since then. Eventually, I do believe Dish will fix all the outstanding issues.

3. Dish has lower churn (customer turnover) than DirectTV, so I'd say that's bull. For the past few years they have allowed customers a once/year upgrade program. YOu think you get that with Sony? Samsung? I don't think so.

4/5. Can't comment. I do believe we will get new HD channels when they can be gotten for a good value.

Be careful what you believe. I do believe there are DirectTV dealers who pose as regular guys and make trashing Dish network a financially motivated passtime.

AcuraCL said:
No provider is perfect. No, it's true.

3. Dish has lower churn (customer turnover) than DirectTV, so I'd say that's bull. For the past few years they have allowed customers a once/year upgrade program. YOu think you get that with Sony? Samsung? I don't think so.

Dish Network has fewer turnovers with customers probably because they charge a LOT more to break their contract. I am canceling Dish Network because their SD PQ is poor, I had Direct TV before Dish and their PQ was much better. I am going with Voom. Hey at least if Im not happy I can leave without threats of being sued if THEY dont provide the quality or the reliabiliy
one would expect.

So have you considered going with D* vs. E*? Have you read this post today? http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10890

As a former E* customer I can say that the D* hardware is much more stable and the DirecTivo with name based recording and user upgradability is better then the E* PVR's. Plus D* charges the $4.95 DVR fee per account, not $4.95 per DVR like E*, which could save you some $'s if getting more then one DVR.

scott5626 said:
Dish Network has fewer turnovers with customers probably because they charge a LOT more to break their contract. I am canceling Dish Network because their SD PQ is poor, I had Direct TV before Dish and their PQ was much better. I am going with Voom. Hey at least if Im not happy I can leave without threats of being sued if THEY dont provide the quality or the reliabiliy
one would expect.

Yeah, the nerve, actually charging people to BREAK THEIR CONTRACT. lmao.

They call it a contract for a reason. Here's a quarter, go get some ethics.

The reason Dish has lower churn is because they offer more local DMAs. Majority of people don't break contracts. But the majority of people want locals via satellite.

cyuhnke said:

Nope. My HD looks FANTASTIC with the 811. No compression artifacts.

There have been two software updates in the last 30 days... in my opinion, there are a few kinks left, but overall its very usable. The problems left are (for most people) tiny nuisances, but not major bugs. If you are the kind of guy that goes nuts over little things, the 811 isnt for you- but again, I think most of the present issues would go unnoticed by the average joe.

No. No antenna- but you can get one cheap. I use a powered RCA indoor antenna and get all the local DFW stations, about 30miles from the antenna farm. $30 at walmart.

Most of the stations you list are pretty new. I personally think that E* will have them over the course of the next 6 months. Others will argue that Dish will always be lacking in content (sigh). I see no reason to believe that they wont add new channels.

They are doing trials to see if 3 channels/transponder will be feasible. They arent at the point where they have to go to 105, so NO, mainstream superdish availability is not required for them to add new channels. They wont have to compress to offer more at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)