VOOMERS already switched to another Satellite service (not Cable), happy with HD?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I am just curious about those who have swtiched to either E* or D* (after having VOOM), what are your likes, dislikes, problems, with both the SD and the HD--quality, quantity, customer service?

Why did you make the switch so soon and do you regret it and why or why not?

I already had Comcast. The HDTV PQ on Comcast is very, very good.

We switched to Dish and we are enjoying all the channels we are getting ,180plus and the few HD channels. I know most people here do not like Dish but so far it seems alright. We had it before when Primestar went bust and I must say it has improved since then. I will miss Voom but life does go on.

Switch to cable tv

After tasting life with Voom (warts and all) for almost a year, I find that switching to the two sat providers is really difficult despite the attractive offers. After a lot of careful deliberation, I decided to switch to cable, albeit with a lot of trepidation. This is, of course, a temporary situation until such time that the two sat providers offer hd programming comparable to, or close to what voom offered.

One feature that convinced me to switch to cable is their broadband internet service. Here's what I got: Their platinum package plus broadband, $79.99 for the first three months, $103 for the remaining nine months. This includes one hd receiver and two standard receivers, cable modem with free installation.

Wallypa
Pacifica, California

I already had Dish and the 811 receiver but I shut off the Dish HD when I installed Voom. Now I am back to Dish HD and I must say the PQ is not nearly as good as Voom.

I've gone to Direct. The HD PQ looks as good to me. There's just not nearly enough of it.

kschorz said:
I already had Dish and the 811 receiver but I shut off the Dish HD when I installed Voom. Now I am back to Dish HD and I must say the PQ is not nearly as good as Voom.
I do hope you mean the SD PQ because Dish HD makes Voom HD look like an upconverted DVD.

Joined Dish

I went with Dish, mainly because I had no experience with Sats. except Voom. I heard bad things about both Dish and Dtv....but Dish wanted the least up front money for me.

There HD is OK I guess....I got the Everything pack with all the premium channels. I don't like their program guide as much as Vooms and the organization of the channels suck. The DVR is nice though.

Now that Dtv has made a special offer for Voomers, I wonder if Dish will do the same and if I'll get it?

DarrellP said:
I do hope you mean the SD PQ because Dish HD makes Voom HD look like an upconverted DVD.

Is this with the 811--is that made by Samsung?

DarrellP said:
I hope you mean Dish is upconverted because it sure doesn't measure up to Voom here on the West coast.

It's going to be a VERY long wait until something comes along near the HD value of Voom. Settling just sucks especially when all the gear costs so much.

i went with dishnetwork also, have 2 811's and 1 322, the only disklike i have about the 811 is the browse feature only advances to the next show nothing beyond, and i only get a 2 day guide if i advance to the next days guide it needs to download it everytime i advance to it, pic quality is great on my 2 hdtv's also when i now turn the power off on my jvc with dishnetwork and have the dvi cable hooked up, it doesnt shut the receiver off like it did with the voom receivers, it stays on, i miss the voom hd channels of course everyone does who has had it, but i still have my ota antenna, from voom and the tech from dish is coming back tommorrow and hooking it up for me to get my local channels in high def, but at least i can get the local channels here from the sat for dish, but they are not high def yet, i just hope this group continues to grow, and sticks around, may god bless each and everyone of you who has made this a great group for voom supporters, im not saying this may or may not happen, but what if voom changes there mind about shutting down at the last moment, then we all have switched to something different for a provider? i went for the lease program with dish, thats the best way to go, no equipment to buy or no committment, like with directv, so if im not happy with dish i can always go back to adelphia, because time warner has bought them out now, love, to all, shaun, :)

DarrellP said:

Give a rest! It is your lousy setup and equipment that makes your PQ suffer. It is your own damn fault if you couldn't get your Voom PQ optimized. Stop trying to tell people that they are blind, crazy or that their equipment is inferior. Your comments here are pathetic and contributed to Voom's demise as you purposefully tried to keep potential customers away by spouting your biased opinion. Move along now and enjoy Dish or are you going to start bashing them now?

bookwalk said:
Is this with the 811--is that made by Samsung?
No, I have the Dish 6000. I don't know how anyone can say Voom's PQ HD is better than Dish HD,
they must have a tiny TV. :D :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you guys watch HDNET or saw the special on ENRON, this is the way HD should look. :yes Voom doesn't come close to this quality with their HD.

DarrellP said:
No, I have the Dish 6000. I don't know how anyone can say Voom's PQ HD is better than Dish HD,
they must have a tiny TV. :D :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you guys watch HDNET or saw the special on ENRON, this is the way HD should look. :yes Voom doesn't come close to this quality with their HD.

Hey pardner! Them's fight'n words! Oh.... wait a minute, is 6 more days worth of Voom worth fighting about? Hmmm... NAW! :D

Esophagus_Constrictor said:
Give a rest! It is your lousy setup and equipment that makes your PQ suffer. It is your own damn fault if you couldn't get your Voom PQ optimized. Stop trying to tell people that they are blind, crazy or that their equipment is inferior. Your comments here are pathetic and contributed to Voom's demise as you purposefully tried to keep potential customers away by spouting your biased opinion. Move along now and enjoy Dish or are you going to start bashing them now?
5 posts? No comment, greenhorn.

Esophagus_Constrictor said:
Your comments here are pathetic and contributed to Voom's demise as you purposefully tried to keep potential customers away by spouting your biased opinion. Move along now and enjoy Dish or are you going to start bashing them now?

Wow, so Voom's demise is due to DarrellP questioning the picture, I wonder if Esophagus_Constrictor will get upset that the Voom channel's resolution was only 1440 x 1080i instead of 1920 x 1080i.

I'm sorry guys, it's all my fault. :river :river :river :river
BTW, there's no reason to bash Dish PQ-wise, now if you want to persue the "Dish is the HD leader". ;)

Voomers--give cable serious consideration

I'm feeling a tad better about the whole situation after picking up an 8300HD receiver and hooking up Cox cable in Fairfax, VA. I had never had digital cable before, I switched to Voom some 15 months ago from DishNetwork. At that time I believed the Dish SD channels to be slightly better than Voom's, but still not that great on a 60" Grand Wega. The PQ on Cox cable is definitely superior on all the SD digital channels to varying degrees and comparable on the few HDs. There wasn't even a need to cross check, the difference is significant.

A few things to note: 1. The "lower" channels categorized as Basic and Expanded are still coming in as analog. I was surprised about this, I was expecting all channels to be digital. Some come in about same as/better than satellite SD, some not. I am getting a tech in to see if they can be improved. Seems like the crappy shopping channels have the best analog picture. 2. The "Digital Tiers," as I mentioned, have better picture than the VOOM and Dish SD, no doubt about it. There is great variability in PQ as you can through the channels, analog to HD. 3. Cox is running a deal on the premiums ($5/mo for 3 mos) so I got HBO, the picture quality on the HBO SD is even better than the digital, somewhere in between the SD digitial and the HD in quality. 4. The local channels are coming in as HD, but there was quite a bit of breakup going on, it seems to be impacted by the weather. 5. No OTA capability on any of the Cox receivers. The SD box has a DVI connection, the 8300HD box I got does not, it has component (I am using) and HDMI (not available on my WE610).

Conclusion: On a larger screen, cable may very well give you a nicer picture, I am glad I didn't go through the trouble of re-hooking Dish. Your results may be different on a smaller screen. It is going to take a whole mess of commercial free HD on the satellite networks to pry me from cable. Who would have thought?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)