voomers ota antenna switching over to dish

heyguy35

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
AUSTIN, TX
i had dish installed last week and didn't get any of my local hd channels with the voom ota winegard sensar II. The installer did not understand why i wasn't rec'ing my locals. What he did was he diplexed the cable at the both ends: one at the receiver side of the 811 and the other at the dish & antenna side. This will not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU NEED TO RUN A SEPARATE COAX CABLE FROM THE ANTENNA STRAIGHT INTO THE RECEIVER AND ALSO U NEED TO BUY WINEGARD PS-9370 TO POWER THE ANTENNA B/C THE VOOM MOTOROLA DSR550 RECEIVER HAD A BUILT-IN AMP OR PS THAT SUPPLY THE POWER TO THE ANTENNA. Now I receiving all my locals in hd; it's coming between 90-100% signal strength. THIS WILL WORK.....I GUARANTEED IT!!!!!!!!!!! :)

voom antenna for dish

wrong
you dont need a separate power supply
you can use a WINEGARD MODEL DP 3020 dual satellite /OFF - AIR COMBINER , this device works like a diplexor but it also provides the 12 volts dc to power the winegard sensar antenna or any winegard ap series outdoor preamplifier. This setup will allow your dish or directv setup to power the antenna and no separate power supply is required. see picture below

Attachments

• winegard 1.jpg
    winegard 1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 325
Dish 942 has 12 V powered OTA antenna output.

Dish 942 has 12 V powered OTA antenna output. While there is no mention of this in the owners manual, the markings on the unit clearly show that the OTA antenna input provides 12 V DC up to 150 milliamps. When I checked it with a multimeter, I got 12 V, which is what the PS-9370 provides to the winegard sensar antennas. From the Winegard specs for Sensars, they only take about 85 milliamps at 12 V, so it looks from here that the PS-9370 isn't needed if you use the Dish 942.

My old Voom dish is still installed with the unit from the post above on the roof, so before I hook it up, I'm going to remove the Voom dish and combiner in previous post so that I don't overload the 942 12 Volt output since it likely can't provide sufficient power for the Voom LNB. But since the 942 supplies the same 13V/18V that Voom box did, the method described above would work fine with Dish setup if you only wanted one line coming into house.

So if all goes well, I'll have the Dish installer (Monday) run a dedicated sat line into the house, since my OTA line will already be inside. This way, no PS-9370 should be needed and my OTA will routed to suit should I ever move on from E* to cable or D*.

Attachments

• 942.JPG
    942.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 300
did the same thing as you with a 942, left my winegard on the roof mount hooked up the 942 and got all my locals but having problems here in LA with 007-1 (ABC)...Installer has tried everything, new dedicated line for the dish and OTA, no diplexers, re-aligned as per signal strength and still having problems with 007-1 pixel-ating and breaking up.... Now heres where it gets strange....connected a spliter (monster cable w/voltage pass through) to the OTA with voltage pass through to the old Voom box and the other to the new 942....the voom box get 007-1 perfectly, the 942 is still pixelating and broken up....?????? My signal strength on the 942 for ch 007-1 shows 86-93 which is higher than some of the other channels I get that are not having any problems.....I called Dish and they are not sure what is going on but they don't understand how the old Voom box picks it up fine and their 942 doesn't??? They said they would get back to me.....Anyone else in the LA or OC area have a 942 and get ABC (007-1) with a OTA???? Some insite here would be great.....as for now I am using a DVI switcher from Gefen to switch back and forth (voom to dish) when I need ABC.....but not to wife friendly if you know what I mean....

I'm having the exact same problem with ABC out here in Orange County. I had no problems with voom picking it up.

sallgdon64 I also tried a direct line from the 942 to the OTA antenna and It wouldn't pick up any locals.

I should be getting my PS-9370 today, so we shall see if that works to A) power the voom antenna and B) fix the problem with ABC. I let you guys know.

My Voom installer used a power inserter when he installed the ChannelMaster antenna and ran everything through a CM diplexer. After the Dish installer left I was missing two local stations and the others were in the 70s so I moved everything back to the ChannelMaster diplexer and hooked the power inserter back up and now I'm pulling in the missing stations and my signal strengths for the others are in the 90s. However, I'm thinking that I may try removing the power inserter and see if I'm still getting power to the antenna through the CM diplexer when I get home tonight.

What was your signal strength for the locals? Using 942, mine are slightly lower than Voom receiver showed, but they are still locked in fine. One of my stations is only at 70 or so, but it still shows fine. Looking at the signals, the Voom box had a better tuner.

I'm curious to know what inserting power supply in the line to the antenna does for your signal strength. Since the box OTA input is 12V, what would be the voltage to the antenna of using the PS-9370 12 V power supply in line (24 V, 12V, 0V & smoke)?

I've had the power inserter plugged in since May 1 and so far no smoke! My signal strengths went from the 70s to the 90s after I hooked up the power inserter. So far, I think the 942 is pulling them in a little better than the Voom box.

Insatlled my PS-9370 yesterday and now I've got a locked signal on all of my locals, including ABC 7. (which was giving me problems before) So my my setup is: Antenna---->Coax---->PS-9370---->Coax---->Surge Protector---->Coax---->942
NO Diplexers. I was using diplexers before so I think that might have been contributing to the signal loss. Hope you guys have the same luck.

set mine up yesterday with the DP3020 and actually used oneof the old Voom diplexers until I can pick up another. Get 9 analogs and five digitals, I even get the local CBS feed which I could not pck up before, works real well. I am using an 811 and the winegaurd sensar antenna from my Voom install.

Happy to see this thread! I had Dish installed on Sunday and I've been having a hard time picking up the local digital channels. I called Dish and the rep was a complete a**hole. What I'm trying to do is connect the voom OTA antenna to use with Dish, and it looks like I need something to power the antenna (as suggested in this thread). I'm using the 811, so I would appreciate all the help I can get! I'm ignorant when it comes to diplexors and such, so layman descriptions on what to get and how to get this solved would be greatly appreciated! FYI: Dish technican is coming by Thursday to see if they can repair it. Is there any chance that they would have the "DP3020" with them as some here have used? Thanks for the help!!!

I tried playing around with the PS-9370 today. It actually outputs 18V AC, not 12V DC. Since the Voom box (and the 942) outputs DC, I assume the antenna has a rectifier and actually uses DC regardless of the input. I installed it and removed it in line with my antenna (Sensar II) with no apparent change in the signal reception as measured by my 942.

My locals are reading as follows from OTA via 811 direct; no diplexers.

CBS - 88
NBC - 86
ABC - 81
PBS28- 83
PBS50- 90

Slight pixilation now and then on ABC & PBS28. Using Radion Shack Stealth Antenna mounted in attic. 40 miles from Mt. Wilson broadcast tower in Southern California.
They were stronger with VOOM stb.

Voom OTA antenna w/dish

Without the ps93xx from winegard, local HD channels awful. With power supply, channels that had 60-70 signal strength now have 90-100, and channels I couldn't get on dish, Fox & ABC I can now receive (at 60-80 signal strength.)
My 942 scanned everything o.k. but I also have 2 811's. They couldn't find the CBS channel, the tech said it was a known incompatability between the Voom antenna and the 811. I discovered I could add CBS manually, by getting the digital channel number off the web and adding it. Here in So Fla CBS 4 is DT 22. Once I manually added it, it didn't show up with the "4" listing until I tuned to it on "22" once. Now it's added with the rest of the the local channels in the right spot.

Hope this helps.

got my PS-9370 today, hooked it up and WOW what a difference.....That was it now I am getting ABC (LA) with no more pixilazation problems....Thanks for the help...

I think I'm in this boat as well. I put my Wiengard Sensor II back up and run it into the combiner that Voom suppied then into the 811 ota port. All I get is two digitals at 49% signal strength. With Voom I was getting all my locals with 90% + signal strength. Does something else need to be installed?

joverstr2 said:
I think I'm in this boat as well. I put my Wiengard Sensor II back up and run it into the combiner that Voom suppied then into the 811 ota port. All I get is two digitals at 49% signal strength. With Voom I was getting all my locals with 90% + signal strength. Does something else need to be installed?
I guess 811 does not provide voltage to the OTA input, while the 942 does. You need a power supply to power Sensar II.

sallgdon64 said:
I tried playing around with the PS-9370 today. It actually outputs 18V AC, not 12V DC. Since the Voom box (and the 942) outputs DC, I assume the antenna has a rectifier and actually uses DC regardless of the input.
That's correct. Sensar II has a voltage regulator and rectifying diode, so it can work with voltages between 12 and 18 volts AC or DC.

I am blown away with my new 942 install this past Friday, and that my OTA VOOM antenna works better than before! It picks up channels north of my location that I have never been able to receive with any antennas (inside or out) I had installer disconnect the lead from the VOOM antenna (replaced) and I used it to run directly from that antenna to the OTA on the 942. I also ran two new R-6 cables for the DISH antenna and local dish, but he said he only needed one! Well he was right! Great picture on everything as I recorded all three inputs at the same time. My locals in Indianapolis (one channel) are on 61.5 and thanks to ordering from The DISHSTORE I received free install on both. I will call today and add VOOM programing. Recordered my first HD show last night. Picture quality is as good or better than it was on VOOM! As a past DISH customer myself I just can't believe how good a DVR and picture DISH has now. Expected problems with OTA and splitting only one line to receiver, but none except some bugs with software on 942 that are already noted. Great surprise! If it had not been for addition of the VOOM programing I would not have considered DISH. Now I am very pleased I had this install.

Ilya said:
I guess 811 does not provide voltage to the OTA input, while the 942 does. You need a power supply to power Sensar II.

Is this what needs to be done?

Attachments

• Winegard.jpg
    Winegard.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 204

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts