Voomers Who Came To Dish, What's Your Take On the HD?

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
You guys all know how I ragged on the PQ with Voom and how I stated Dish had better HD PQ. Now that you are here and you have seen it for yourself, what is your opinion? Please, this is for HD only, no SD talk, please.

I would have to disagree. I don't have the Voom channels yet on Dish but Discovery HD is definitely not as crisp as it was on Voom. When I get my second Dish installed I'll update about the Voom 10.

DarrellP said:
You guys all know how I ragged on the PQ with Voom and how I stated Dish had better HD PQ. Now that you are here and you have seen it for yourself, what is your opinion? Please, this is for HD only, no SD talk, please.

Well i for one have had Voom and Dish at the same time and Dish knows how to do HDTV!!! Yes very nice looking. There is one problem i have seen Skeeters on EquatorHD!! not as bad as was on Voom but still there.. I don't want to say all channels were that much better then Voom just yet but yes LOOK very GOOD!!

I'm waiting for 2nd dish installation today. I'll report later on my findings, but I do expect the VOOM10 to look better now since they must be at higher bitrates (there are no extra SD channels on the transponders now).

Thats good to hear, that the PQ is still good......I get my instal next Monday, cant wait

Hmm ... :)
Theres something scairy about Picture Quality concerns by truggy0. Sure hope Voom on E* doesn't look to much like his avatar. :neener

I disagree with the DiscoveryHD assessment, of course it was a crap shoot, at times it did look good on Voom, but it was not guaranteed when you watched it that it would look good, whereas with Dish, you do get a consistent PQ. I always tuned to Dish to watch DiscoveryHD and except in 1 or 2 instances, Dish always looked better.

Have you guys seen Bikini Destinations or Hawaiian Tropic yet? The new series of Hotlines starts next Monday, stay tuned.

Walter L. said:
OK, I just got the new dish installed to get the VOOM Pack. My 1st test: Yellowstone on EquatorHD. Yes, it looks much better than VOOM DBS :cool:
Later (last night) I watched "Eye Over Italy" and it looked the same as it did with VOOM DBS after the Harmonic Encoders. In other words, it still has some compression artifacts that need to be fixed.

As I say before... these Video Productions were done in the early stages of HD. The mosquito noise seems to be a production problem rather than bandwith or resolution of the channel. If you compare "new" production played on this channel, you will not see the Mosquito noise.

Sean, now that you mention that, I remember a thread at AVS where someone posted that "mosquito noise" was a known problem with some of the early Sony HD Cams. Maybe that's the source of the problem on the "Eye Over" series.

Good input guys on PQ on Dish. I went with Time Warner temporarily until the HD Delivery Wars worked themselves out. Because my HD DVR could only support composite out, I've noted a very real reduction in PQ from cable. I always used Discovery HD as the acid test and it is good, but not great on cable.

I trust your opinions as the folks here (myself included) seem more interested in PQ than the average consumer. Will keep an eye on offerings and move to the best one soon.

Sean Mota said:
As I say before... these Video Productions were done in the early stages of HD. The mosquito noise seems to be a production problem rather than bandwith or resolution of the channel. If you compare "new" production played on this channel, you will not see the Mosquito noise.

Ok SEAN that has to be it!! I read that over there also!!!

Then what is the excuse for Smart Travels? It is pristine, razor sharp and noise free on HDNET, yet it still has a touch of mosquito noise on EquatorHD. Who operates EquatorHD? Has anyone talked to them about their video issues? Enquiring minds want to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts