VPN Providers

I just switched to proXPN. While they have a free service, most will want (or require) the paid service. This one works on my computer, tablet and smart phone. It's much better than the VPN service I was using who were impossible to contact and much more complicated to set up.

I use StrongVPN. I run their service using OpenVPN on my router. Excellent speeds and if you need tech support they are available, by chat or phone. Haven't had many problems over 18 months, but when I need them they are available. Not the cheapest at $85 per year, but worth it to me. With all the recent disclosures about the NSA and the Chinese Army I am now using VPN connections for all my traffic except Netflix and my Dish receivers. Nothing probably can stop a dedicated snooper, but at least by using a VPN I make it a lot tougher. If you want security you need to run either Open or L2TP. PPTP has been hacked and isn't secure and should only be used if all you are interested in is changing your virtual physical location.

I have used HMA and their speeds were not as good and support was tough to come by.

My issue w/ StrongVPN and their OPEN connection is my speed would drop from 30mb to 5mb (using DDWRT router).

My issue w/ StrongVPN and their OPEN connection is my speed would drop from 30mb to 5mb (using DDWRT router).

The slow down isn't usually the result of your VPN provider. The cause is usually that your router doesn't have the processing power to quickly handle the encryption functions. My speeds from STX to Miami are great using StrongVPN (ReliableHosting). I do have a powerful router with a attached processor to handle all the VPN encryption. My speed reduction is less than 2% when I compare using the VPN between St Croix and Miami or run a speed test not using the VPN on the same route.

I have no problems streaming Amazon or the BBC from London.

USING VPN

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2815691577

NO VPN - ST CROIX - MIAMI

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2815705651

Scott:

Are you running the VPN on your computer or on your router? Also are you running PPTP which can be faster but not very secure?

Routers with slow processors when compared to a PC and limited memory just can't handle VPN connections very efficently so the speed goes down.

One problem I have had with HMA is DNS leaks. Check for DNS leaks when you are connected next time using them. If you have a DNS leak then your local IP can track your connections since they are providing your DNS lookups and not your VPN provider.

The slow down isn't usually the result of your VPN provider. The cause is usually that your router doesn't have the processing power to quickly handle the encryption functions. My speeds from STX to Miami are great using StrongVPN (ReliableHosting). I do have a powerful router with a attached processor to handle all the VPN encryption. My speed reduction is less than 2% when I compare using the VPN between St Croix and Miami or run a speed test not using the VPN on the same route.

I have no problems streaming Amazon or the BBC from London.

USING VPN

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2815691577

NO VPN - ST CROIX - MIAMI

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2815705651

Was using a Linksys E3000 which had plenty of ran and processing power.

Was using a Linksys E3000 which had plenty of ran and processing power.

The E3000 doesn't have plenty of power and RAM. It has a 400 MHz processor and 64 Mbs of RAM. My ASUS has a 600 MHz processor and 128 Mbs of RAM. This is nothing compared to my middle of the road PC which has a 2.3 Ghz processor and 4 Gigs of RAM.

The side processor that I use with my VPN has a 1.5 Ghz processor and 2 Gigs of memory.

I recall when I used OPEN directly from the laptop, the speed results were simillar from the router (rarely peaked 7mb).

I use StrongVpn and get 12 to London on my laptop. I use L2TP most of the time, but sometimes I get slower speeds on STV or UTV's webplayers and will switch to PPTP. I use some other vpns for Canada and Australia and they vary a little but I still get 85-90% of what I should be getting.

I would like to try VPNbook.com with their PPTP free service. How do I configure my DD-WRT firmware based router to use this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my iPhone and iPad I use VPNfire. I use them to get a US ip when I am out of the country for Amazon VOD to work. You have a choice of US or UK ip address every time you connect.

Now I'm looking at StrongVPN as well. I'm concerned about the speed issue as I know that router isn't all that powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to use a VPN running on a router and speed matters then look at the VPN routers from Sabai Technology and if you want the ultimate setup look at their VPN accelerator. Their equipment is tested to work easily with several VPN providers including StrongVPN. Sabai's tech support is fantastic.

I chatted with them last week. I asked how reliable the connection is when configuring the router with PPTP (ie- how often does it disconnect)... I got a bunch of answers except the one I was looking for.

Pick a big one with a good reputation and one that has been around for a long time. Your data is passing through their servers and data security should always be a prime concern.

I have strongvpn on one router and it has not missed a beat in years.

I use their cheapest package (~$55/year the last time I looked).