W7 problems

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
On my new home machine, I installed W7 RC, entered the code and it's worked reasonably well.

It will not install a network storage driver, but that's because the HDD s/w says that version of Windows is not supported and shuts down. I'll install it on another machine and see if the manu comes out with a W7 version. No biggie.

The problem is that it now puts up a message saying to the effect that I might be a victim of software counterfeiting. And it wants me to reenter the auth code. I can dig it up and try, but what's with this?

Anybody know why this is happening? Indicates some other problem? I don't want to shift over everything from my old machine until I have this resolved.

BTW, I have the full version on order and have almost no problems with the W7 machine at work.

A couple of the RC's had a glitch that when you installed and uninstalled devices and drivers, like a set of nvidia drivers, it would mess with your configuration files and cause this error. The later RC and RTM releases quickly solved this problem.

Another thing that may have caused it was a bad win7 update. Several people I know have had their rc's totally screwed with a bad update file.

I've put it aside for other projects and will just start over when W7 ships. Just have to decide whether to go 32 bit or 64 bit.

64 -bit is harder to program viruses for so for me I would go with that.

I use 64 bit on all my computers now. I have weeded out the incompatible hardware and do not use any old software that cannot run under 64 (most 32 bit software has no problems, just those that do not want to play by the rules, a good reason to get rid of them anyways).

The advantage of 64 is the new memory model where nothing has access to the OS memory anymore. Only certified device drivers work with 64. One of the reasons Vista x64 has the fewest viruses that work on it is that the old tricks of buffer overflows and such cannot get to the system memory. Now they may take over a program, but unless the user has UAC turned off they have to prompt the user to do anything else.

W7 tones down UAC some by having certified programs avoid the UAC if they checksum ok.

I use 64 bit on all my computers now. I have weeded out the incompatible hardware and do not use any old software that cannot run under 64 (most 32 bit software has no problems, just those that do not want to play by the rules, a good reason to get rid of them anyways).

The advantage of 64 is the new memory model where nothing has access to the OS memory anymore. Only certified device drivers work with 64. One of the reasons Vista x64 has the fewest viruses that work on it is that the old tricks of buffer overflows and such cannot get to the system memory. Now they may take over a program, but unless the user has UAC turned off they have to prompt the user to do anything else.

W7 tones down UAC some by having certified programs avoid the UAC if they checksum ok.

Plus the fact that you can use 32 gigs of RAM, I think that's the max.

The advantage of 64 is the new memory model where nothing has access to the OS memory anymore. Only certified device drivers work with 64.
This was supposed to be the case on Vista, too but was worked around quickly.
On Windows 7 so far this hasn't been broken.

Diogen.

Quite frankly there is no reason to go with 32 bit any more unless:

1. Your processor is old and does not support x64. This includes cheap laptops with old Pentium dual cores

2. You have to run some old program that will not run on the WOW 32 emulator that W64 uses.

Vista broke the ground with this. When I first got Vista x64 I had to get rid of some old cards in my computers. Now that MS has forced everyone to go x64 if they want to get the logo, all that old junk as been pretty much eliminated.

MS predicts by the end of W7 all but the netbook type market will be shipping with x64 since standard memory included will be a minimum of 4GB.

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

Interesting the limit is 16GB for home premium, 192 for prof/ultimate.

At work, we cannot go w/any 64 bit version of Windows, as it is "unsupported" by our accounting system. Definitely does not work w/Vista 64. And Windows 7 is not supported "at this time." Maybe with the next release in a few months. But I have it up and running on a 32bit version of W7. Might try it on a new machine w/W7 64, just for grins.

This can't be the only 64 bit hostile program out there. Maybe they'll work anyway, but the authors want to do a lot of testing before putting their official ok on it.

A peer manager at work shared his home setup with me recently and I was impressed enough to copy it. His home system is an 8GB Core i7 750, mine is a 6GB Core i7 920. We both run 64-bit Windows 7 but have a need to run 32-bit XP. You run XP under VM Workstation, give it 2GB and two cores, and run it full-screen on a second monitor. Feels like two separate systems without the hassle of two separate boxes, and the VM feels significantly faster than my Core 2 Duo laptop.

Now that MS has forced everyone to go x64 if they want to get the logo, all that old junk as been pretty much eliminated.
I like the idea of x64 everywhere, but life can be a real b!tch....

At work: Cisco IPSec client. No x64 version, never will be (from Cisco).
A third party version is more expensive than Windows 7 itself...

There are workarounds but won't ever become mainstream solutions...

At home: DVB cards with some linear LNBs running HH motors. USALS and DiSEqC.
Works 100% on x86 XP (better 2GB RAM or less) and crappy as hell x64 drivers at best...

Interesting the limit is 16GB for home premium, 192 for prof/ultimate.
Unless desktop virtualization becomes common place, I don't expect 16GB to become a bottleneck for at least 5 years.

Diogen.

True IPsec is EOL, Cisco wants you to use anyconnect VPN now (essentially SSL).

MS is predicting that the majority of W7 shipped will be x64 over the life of the product.

Considering MS is committed to a new OS every 2-3 years to make it worthwhile to buy a support contract, I do not expect 16GB to be limiting during the lifetime of W7.

At work, we cannot go w/any 64 bit version of Windows, as it is "unsupported" by our accounting system.
And those accounting systems is the main reason why Microsoft came out with the XP Mode in Windows 7. ;)
It just went RTM by the way.

I'm counting on that mode. But direct support would be better. New version of accounting program comes out the end of this month.